Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Four not-too-long instrumentals from the continent
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Four not-too-long instrumentals from the continent

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which instrumental piece of prog do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [63.64%]
1 [9.09%]
2 [18.18%]
1 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four not-too-long instrumentals from the continent
    Posted: April 29 2024 at 00:26
If you don't know all three of these instrumentals, you can listen to them, which won't take much time because I chose them to be of similar duration and not too long. However, I believe you'll be thrilled.
Which of these instrumental pieces of progressive rock do you prefer? 

Triumvirat "Triangle"

"Triangle" is from the Triumvirat's "Illusions on a Double Dimple" album, released in 1973. The track opens with a synthesizer,  gentle piano, and a rhythmic triangle sound, which is quickly followed by the rest of the band. After a brief but lovely wordless chorus, the song shifts to a more aggressive synth-based sound, which culminates in a very complex section where the band members—especially Hans Pape on bass—really shine. Pure symphonic rock and choral parts frequently break up this demanding period; the song concludes with lovely keyboards and a wordless choir passage.

Wigwam "Pig Storm"

My all-time favourite album by Finnish band Wigwam has always been "Nuclear Nightclub." That somewhat underrated album from 1975—often accused of being Wigwam's commercialization—features Pembroke in the main role, possibly at his best, and I think the band does a really good job. Particular emphasis is paid to Pekka Rechardt's guitar, especially in "Pig Storm," the album's closing instrumental that the guitarist wrote. This one has a heavier guitar sound with a shuffling rhythm. There's still that freshness.

SBB "Xeni"

The Polish band SBB recorded "Xeni" in 1975, but this beautiful instrumental was released only on the "Nowy Horyzont" CD reissue as a bonus track. It features a midtempo, Antymos Apostolis's emotionally played guitar parts, and some nice keyboard ambient-like sounds delivered by Jerzy Piotrowsk. "Xeni" is an incredible instrumental that sounds fresh even today. Actually, it was recorded live on Polish Radio Gdańsk.

Smak "Maht Tema"

"Maht Tema," when translated from Serbian to English, would mean "Maht Thread." This instrumental is from the last album in the 1970s trilogy by the Serbian band Smak (English: "The End of the World"). "Maht" is a fictional character of divine nature that sometimes appears in the titles of the band's instrumentals. Here you can hear jazzy yet at the same time somewhat symphonic instrumental progressive rock that is enjoyable as it sounds so dreamy, haunting, and mysterious, with a touch of the beauty of Točak's electric guitar playing. One of the better tracks on the album from 1978. It may not be as "technical" as the instrumentals from the previous two albums, but it has its own special atmosphere, magic, and emotion.

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 05:06
It took me a while to decide between Triumvirat and Smak but I picked the keyboard heavy Triumvirat over the more guitar driven Smak song.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 05:56
Triumvirat, though the other three are quite excellent.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 07:10
Triumvirat...nice write up on "Triangle", though "Illusions On A Double Dimple" was not released in 1973, but the spring of 1974....
Criswell View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Criswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 07:55
Triangle gets my vote!...It's on my running/workout playlist also...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 10:05
1st vote for SBB!
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 10:18
Triumvirat
Wigwam
never listened to the two other B4

Edited by mellotronwave - April 29 2024 at 10:18
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
 Post Reply Post Reply