FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scariest albums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scariest albums?
    Posted: May 15 2024 at 11:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Brainticket's Cottonwood Hill is a tough one, and a lady I knew said that the girl's voicings were not exactly scripted and that it was very near a lot of physical moments and events, when the mind can not put 2 and 2 together. It is, however, a difficult thing to get through.

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds like a band I need to check out.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 11:55
Pretty much the whole of the Diamanda Galás catalogue scares the doo-dah out of me (particularly any of her releases between 1982 and 1992).

Terrifically weird and unique to listen to though.

Edited by Floydoid - May 15 2024 at 12:01
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 06:09
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

From a classical perspective, have you listened to Krzysztof Penderecki? Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, or Kadisz, both are quite eerie sounding.

Hi,

I think, that the title makes us associate the pieces with something that is a part of our history of infamy in many a war. I'm not sure that without that reference that we would be thinking that, not only in this piece but others. I was thinking that the soundtrack for the film "The Killing Fields"  is similar ... and it's sort of a continuation of the original idea that major is happy and minor is sad kind of thing.

Another example, was when I first heard Tangerine Dream ... "Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares" and it scared the living crap out of me and it took me 3 days, and all of a sudden I found my inner "space travelling" (which I had in dreams for 10 years already!!!) ... and voila ... fear was gone, and it became one of the prettiest things I have ever heard!

A lot of that "idea" comes from the history of film and then adding a soundtrack to it, which was different in the early days, though usually a pianist accompanied the silent film, and tried to setup a "mood" ... thus the idea of what some things supposedly are like inside our minds came to being in music and the arts, although I think that a Picasso, kinda blew it out of proportion by giving us a snapshot of what he could see out the window in Spain during their Civil War. The next step in art was to get rid of the "meaning" and the idea of meaning ... and all of a sudden you get a Miro!!!!! ... it finally seemed to arrive in "music" with FAUST?

Edited by moshkito - May 15 2024 at 06:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 05:55
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

I can't see Youtube on this computer, so apologies if this is one of the embedded videos in the initial post - but Scott Walker has to be mentioned in this kind of thread, in particular for 'The Drift', although the albums he did after that are also pretty scary sounding. In my mind The Drift was the best of the bunch though.

Scott Walker was mentioned, The Drift is indeed very frightening.

As far as Penderecki is concerned, yes I am aware of him and I love his work. I discovered his music in David Lynch's Inland Empire, one of the weirdest/most confusing film ever made. Needless to say it was a good fit. Tongue
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2024 at 11:50
A true legend. Even though Frédéric Chopin's a bit of a more widely known or canonically recognized Polish classical maestro, Penderecki's another level. YMMV
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2024 at 11:17
From a classical perspective, have you listened to Krzysztof Penderecki? Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, or Kadisz, both are quite eerie sounding.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2024 at 11:16
I can't see Youtube on this computer, so apologies if this is one of the embedded videos in the initial post - but Scott Walker has to be mentioned in this kind of thread, in particular for 'The Drift', although the albums he did after that are also pretty scary sounding. In my mind The Drift was the best of the bunch though.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 20:45
Maybe I need to listen to it again but that Comus is more weird than scary (imo).

One I play every Halloween is "silence & wisdom" by Deux Filles. Although this too might be more weird than scary. https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/deux-filles/silence-and-wisdom/

Another one is the sole album by Fille Qui Mousse (this one is listed on PA). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 15 2024 at 12:33
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 19:40
White Noise...Black Mass: Electric Storm In Hell is scary. Delia Derbyshire had a track record of producing frightening pieces whether soundtrack or experimental. The Dreams which was her collaboration with Barry Bermange consisted of tape recordings of people describing their claustrophobic type dreams over a dark ambient soundscape created by Derbyshire. It's quite impressionable and at times visually disturbing..as several of her projects tend to have Satanic leanings at times.

Throbbing Gristle In The Shadow Of The Sun contains eerie sustaining voices which are dark and scary. Originally recorded in 1974 for the Derek Jarman film and viewed at a film festival. It's mostly noise such as a guitar sounding like a vacuum cleaner and organ which sounds Gothic and suitable for Satanists digging up corpses in a graveyard. The voices on the recording have equal similarities to the Menantico cult where I went camping.

Art Zoyd Nosferatu and Faust are scary and create tension through suspense...as several Art Zoyd recordings do along with some of Patricia Dallio releases.

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - May 12 2024 at 20:49
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 07:25
Scariest album? Any one of Devil Doll's five magnificently creepy albums,  making Dead Can Dance appear positively mainstream by comparison. Don't have nightmares. Evil Smile

3 stars 1989: Devil Doll - The Girl Who Was... Death - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYdcApobjTY&t=497s
3 stars 1990: Devil Doll - Eliogabulus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARus_-poevk
4 stars 1992: Devil Doll - Sacrilegium - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHu_LmvSjB4&t=407s
3 stars 1993: Devil Doll - The Sacrilege of Fatal Arms - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5uSrBgzXAs&t=1868s
4 stars 1996: Devil Doll - Dies Irae - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS87xpm8SoI&t=1527s

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 02 2024 at 07:26
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 07:06
Since this is in the General Music Discussions section I'd suggest: Kreng - The Summoner

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 07:01
Comus - First Utterance 

COMUS First Utterance reviews
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 06:55
Hi,

(As long as we are not going after Walt Disney's version of "scary" with ... an album of sound effects from various movies of his!!! Space Pirate RAdio was known to play these "effects" at various speeds, and they didn't sound scary at all ... stupid more like it, and funny, but never scary ... which kinda tells you something about the plastic WD))

The White Noise album was well known and even got some airplay ... I was thinking of some other things that could be considered scary, but within the context of a rock band, I don't think that we will be finding too many things, and some of them are plastic or just colored water.

I can not say that rock music has "scary" stuff, any better than a lot of films, that really pushed the envelope starting some 60/70 years ago, even with one such Hitchcock ... there really is no equivalent, in my book, to that in rock music, since too much of it is based on the LYRICS telling you what is happening, or didn't happen.

Rock music, for me, being so formulaic, is a difficult area to do something different and original that would seem scary ... but there are some.

Goblin soundtracks to a lot of films, although I think in some cases the music was not well used at all.

Brainticket's Cottonwood Hill is a tough one, and a lady I knew said that the girl's voicings were not exactly scripted and that it was very near a lot of physical moments and events, when the mind can not put 2 and 2 together. It is, however, a difficult thing to get through.

Plus did an album about the 7 Deadly Sins, and while not exactly scary, they are a bit on the strange and weird side.

Walter Wegmuller's Tarot album kinda fits ... but only because of the heavy handed voice used to "describe" many of the cards of the Major Arcana, with some excellent music, but all in all, the supposed idea about this being a sort of seance, or magical event, is more of a movie idea than it is a reality, I bet. I have to admit that I have never looked at the Tarot with that kind of "attitude", but maybe a more reverential look at its depth and meaning, which I don't think can be done right with music.

The band Coven, in their first albums were a bit on the scary/weird side ... I had their first two albums, but not sure where they went, or when I lost them or let them go. This was late 60's.

That's as much as I can think of right now ... wish I had more recent listens, but the enjoyment of listening, for me, is more a sort of movie, than it is a rock song, which takes me away from a lot of things mentioned here.

Edited by moshkito - May 02 2024 at 06:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 06:29
These five albums genuinely scare me. I'm referring to the content of the album, not the cover, by the way. ^^

What album scares you?
 Post Reply Post Reply