Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Barclay James Harvest XII

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Barclay James Harvest XII
    Posted: May 03 2024 at 07:34
A recent review of this album started with the statement that it is their 9th studio album. Which is correct. But surely it should have been called IX?

Spock's Beard have V, Octane and X which were their 5th, 8th and 10th albums. Focus have Focus 3, 8, 9 etc which are correctly named.

So why did BJH call their 9th album XII (12)?
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 08:30
From BJH's website: https://www.bjharvest.co.uk/xii.htm

Quoted directly from that page:
"Pretty obvious, really, but it only works out as BJH's twelfth album if you ignore the Starline compilation Early Morning Onwards, which was deleted by then, and include live albums and EMI's The Best Of Barclay James Harvest. The title was also appropriate because the band members had been working together for twelve years. At one point, the working title was High, and the sleeve would have been based on Woolly's sunset photograph which eventually adorned his solo album, Męstoso."
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 08:33
I have been a fan since my college days....bought the first in 1970 at school.
But you are correct it seems to be their 9th lp.
They might be adding in some live things but I read that it came out in the 12 th year of the band being together and it was the last one with 'Wooly' Wolstenholme and the last with mellotron which he played.

I see progardvark beat me to a post....a bit weird.
Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - May 03 2024 at 08:35
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 10:54
12 years seems likely, also 12 years with the original lineup, rare in any era for any band.  Woolly left after this and the band were never the same
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 12:04
Barclay James Harvest's first twelve albums with "XII" in twelfth place. Smile

4 stars 1970: Barclay James Harvest - Their First Album - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nFSIfNxs6gIBOTbbIPO1JWh2mwEyVbAIU
 5 stars 1971: Barclay James Harvest & Other Short Stories - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l7sqXxBX6jnIktjJObqPD6GFPPdJZrUn0
 4 stars 1972: Barclay James Harvest - Baby James Harvest - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k8dD4x9nW6_Ju8k4fWqoEflWLUgTZaswA
 4 stars 1972: Barclay James Harvest - Early Morning Onwards - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvL6Rb1JnTycH3YHgfE7A50TYd5q1XFB6
 4 stars 1974: Barclay James Harvest - Everyone is Everybody Else - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mCjiub0x7T8niJz1AsTxasRH4HNRqXRdk
 4 stars 1975: Barclay James Harvest - Time Honoured Ghosts - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_leiWJFRrHO1N9EVkZilqdkKpJ9MHhMQ3Q

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 03 2024 at 12:05
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 12:29
Right !
"Early Morning onwards" (1972) is an early 'compilation' issued by Harvest/EMI just before the band left them for Polydor records.
I think EMO has never been released as a CD but i might be wrong...

Edited by mellotronwave - May 03 2024 at 12:34
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 16:03
A few of the songs written by Woolly which ended up on Maestoso were intended for XII were rejected by the band and hastened his leaving the band. Sadly. Woolly had wanted to step away from touring, had suffered from depression and really had had enough of the music 'biz'. His perception that the band (and Les Holroyd's compositions in particular) were moving towards more AOR based material and that his compositions were being pushed out or out of step with the rest of the band just speeded up his departure. He gave up music completely and went into Organic Farming soon after completing and touring Maestoso. I saw him supporting Judie Tzuke in the early 80s and then again with a 'reformed' Maestoso band in 2004. RIP Woolly.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 19:29
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Right !
"Early Morning onwards" (1972) is an early 'compilation' issued by Harvest/EMI just before the band left them for Polydor records.

Hi,

That was the album I got then, and I stayed with BJH all the way since.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply