Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fave songs overshadowed by bigger album songs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fave songs overshadowed by bigger album songs?
    Posted: May 03 2024 at 16:52
I noticed in the recent Cool Britannia topic, which sadly I have nothing much of an educated or interesting nature to add, that the song "Creep" was specifically mentioned from the Radiohead debut Pablo Honey.  Like many (I'm in Canada), that is the first song I heard from Radiohead and it is the track off that album I have seen mentioned by far the most times.  That was a hit single, but I way prefer Blow Out" which to me is the standout track on that album and I have not noticed being given much attention (mind you, I lead a pretty isolated life and when it comes to music often judge by my memory of discussions in PA).  I have read that "Blow Out" is Jonny Greenwood's favourite from Pablo Honey and that it is a track Radiohead has played in concert many times.

So what are some favourites of yours off albums that get overshadowed by a more famous track or by more famous tracks?

Edited by Logan - May 03 2024 at 16:56
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 17:42

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 17:53
^ I love "The Song Is Over", it's my favourite off Who's Next and one of my favourite The Who songs.

While quite a popular expression in certain areas of the film industry, It's Hard is not one of The Who's most popular albums, but I really like it (it's the first album I bought on cassette), especially for "I've Known No War" which does get overshadowed by "Eminence Front" in particular.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 18:05
With Led Zeppelein IV, "Stairway to Heaven is massive, and I like it a lot too, and I also have heard "Rock and Roll" playing a lot on the radio, in a commericial (and I kind of hate that song).  I'm most into "When the Levee Breaks", "Misty Mountain Hop", and especially "4 Sticks" of that album, which give me chills in part.

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 19:53
When the Leeve Breaks - Led Zeppelin
The Prophet's Song - Queen 
Welcome Home - Metallica

I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 19:57
Keeping in line with mentioning the Who, 'Sea and Sand' is a criminally underrated track from a great album.
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 20:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

With Led Zeppelein IV, "Stairway to Heaven is massive, and I like it a lot too, and I also have heard "Rock and Roll" playing a lot on the radio, in a commericial (and I kind of hate that song).  I'm most into "When the Levee Breaks", "Misty Mountain Hop", and especially "4 Sticks" of that album, which give me chills in part.

The same can be said of Zep's splendid Physical Graffiti. There are, of course, radio staples like "Kashmir", "Trampled Underfoot", "The Wanton Song" and "Custard Pie", which are all really great songs, but "Ten Years Gone", "In My Time of Dying" and the absolutely beautiful acoustic "Bron-Yr-Aur" are my favorites.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 21:42
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The same can be said of Zep's splendid Physical Graffiti. There are, of course, radio staples like "Kashmir", "Trampled Underfoot", "The Wanton Song" and "Custard Pie", which are all really great songs, but "Ten Years Gone", "In My Time of Dying" and the absolutely beautiful acoustic "Bron-Yr-Aur" are my favorites.

Indeed.  I especially particularly love "Ten Years Gone" off that album.  "In the Light" and also "Down by the Seaside" are some others I really like.   Superb album.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 01:55
The most notable example that comes to my mind currently is Talking Heads's Remain In Light from which most people only know "Once In A Lifetime" which is a great song but I personally prefer "The Great Curve" and especially "Born Under Punches"

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 03:48
On a more obscure note, the title track on Univers Zero's Heresie, sort of overshadows it's magnificent B-side and it's true masterpiece (imo) of "instrumental storytelling" which is Jack the Ripper.

I love the epic Echoes like everyone else, but everyone else don't seem equally exited about Meddle's A-side - or Fearless.

I also feel that the only "big" track on Trespass is The Knife but I have a soft spot for nearly the rest of the album and White Mountain in particular (btw the streaming numbers on both those songs has got to be wrong on Spotify)

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 09:53
^^ That is true of me with "Once In A Lifetime" for Remain in Light.  That and "Psycho Killer" are the first songs I think of when thinking Talking Heads.  Both were hits that  have loved.

^^ "Fearless" was the first Pink Floyd track I really loved and remains one of my very favourite songs by anyone.  The first album I ever bought by anyone was Pink Floyd's compilation Works and "Fearless" was the standout for me.  "Echoes" is amazing, but when I made yet another playlist (just for my own pleasure) with two tracks per artist, "Fearless" was THE Pink Floyd one I knew I wanted.  That said, "Pillows of Winds" is another personal fave (love the atmosphere).  And "One of These Days' was one of the first Pink Floyd tracks that stood out to me.  As for Heresie, "Jack the Ripper" is the one which I would first think of.  Love it. And I love "White Mountain" from Trespass (my first fave off that album).

I had expected that people's overshadowed faves would quite often be favourites of others. To poorly adapt a phrase, "The more we are different, the more we find we are the same, and vice versa".

I'll do Stereolab, and I think this would be a globally and locally less popular pick.  I got into Stereolab due to a 90s British music meets sometimes, very, very dark sketch comedy radio show by Chris Morris (of Brass Eye and The Day Today etc.) called Blue Jam.  Both "Cybele's Reverie" off Emperor Tomato Ketchup and "The Flower Called Nowhere" off Dots and Loops were used in the radio show.  I adored them and still do.  Those were my first favourites when hearing the full albums.  I also know from reading that "The Flower Called Nowhere" commonly overshadows the rest of Dots and Loops.  Interestingly, "Refractions in the Plastic Pulse" is the major epic of the album at over 17 minutes, but I would still say it is overshadowed by "The Flower..." That said, while I love the whole album, I would go with the penultimate album song, "Ticker-Tape of the Unconscious" as my album favourite.

Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 10:07

Overshadowed by Supper's Ready.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 10:09

^ I love "The Song Is Over", it's my favourite off Who's Next and one of my favourite The Who songs.

While quite a popular expression in certain areas of the film industry, It's Hard is not one of The Who's most popular albums, but I really like it (it's the first album I bought on cassette), especially for "I've Known No War" which does get overshadowed by "Eminence Front" in particular.

From 5:05 they went jazzy.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 10:12
^^ That's a fantastic example, thanks. "Supper's Ready" has sure been my favourite off Foxtrot, an album that had never fully clicked, but listening to "Get "Em Out By Friday", I am reminded of what a terrific track that is (it's now my favourite off the album).   Seems I definitely should revisit the whole album.

Edited by Logan - May 04 2024 at 10:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2024 at 05:43

^^ That's a fantastic example, thanks. "Supper's Ready" has sure been my favourite off Foxtrot, an album that had never fully clicked, but listening to "Get "Em Out By Friday", I am reminded of what a terrific track that is (it's now my favourite off the album).   Seems I definitely should revisit the whole album.

It's my favorite one too. Tony Banks really kills it on the organ.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2024 at 07:08
South Side of the Sky
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2024 at 07:16
^ my favorite song by Yes. Probably one of the best piano riff in a rock song ever (though it holds close ties with The Song is Over mentioned above)

Edited by Gnik Nosmirc - May 05 2024 at 07:21
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2024 at 08:25

It's a great, great underrated song. It's also one of my favorites.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2024 at 09:30

Overshadowed by Starless.
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2024 at 10:15
The short compositions of Can's Soundtracks and Magma's Udu Wudu, overshadowed by two of my favourite epics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>