Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soul prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soul prog?
    Posted: May 08 2024 at 05:27
I am interested in prog albums with an emphasis on soul and funk. There is a whole trend of nu-jazz, lo-fi stuff and I am interested in the prog-side of it. One thing I can think about is, weirdly, The Dark Side of the Moon which has some soul/funk-ish elements. There is also the Thank You Scientist band.

Edited by Gnik Nosmirc - May 08 2024 at 05:49
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 06:36
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 06:39
Neal Morse
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 06:40
Maybe The Reign of Kindo (now just Kindo).

Edit to add a video.

Edited by mathman0806 - May 08 2024 at 08:34
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 06:42
The band or album you mention wouldn't make me think of this, but since you mention nu-jazz, you might be interested to explore The Comet is Coming, from the London nu-jazz scene. For example, Summon the Fire:

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 06:42
Great topic.. There's a good amount from the 70s, and I'll try to find some more

I Can See the Sun in Late December

https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 06:44
Although the music on the 1970 self-titled album by Atomic Rooster is mostly blues-based progressive heavy-rock, Broken Wings is a soul-like progressive rock song. Its soulful melody is accompanied by melancholic instrumentation that enhances the emotional impact of the lyrics. The sombre tone of the music mirrors the bittersweet nature of the lyrics, creating a powerful synergy between sound and meaning. The Atomic Rooster pretty skillfully incorporated elements of soul music into "Broken Wings," creating a unique merging of genres in this particular song.

By non-English songs from the continent, I'd like to mention "Pjesma #3 (English: "Song No. 3) from the TIME self-titled album from 1972. While its jazzy chords and amazing flute solos create a dreamy feel, the band's frontman, Dado Topić, delivers soulful vocals that add emotional depth to the lyrics, which, sung in Croatian, are delivered with passion and intensity. "Pjesma #3" beautifully reflects TIME's fusion of progressive rock, soul, and jazz influences that characterised their unique musical style during their active years.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 07:16
Regarding contemporary stuff that could be considered 'progressive soul', I'd like to mention "Reach My Soul," one of the songs from the 2024 album "Find Your Flame" by the Sheffield-based ensemble Nubiyan Twist. Their sound is indeed a fusion of various genres, including jazz, afrobeat, Latin, soul, and beyond. The group, which is led by guitarist and producer Tom Excell, consists of very talented musicians that provide a potent and remarkable musical experience with their 10-piece live presentation, which features a 4-piece horn section, two vocalists, electronics, and an international rhythm section that spans from Brazil to the UK.

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 09:22
There are actually better tracks by Rotary Connection and Mandrill out there, but this is what I dug up with a quick youtube search. With both bands, you need to hear the full albums.
Other albums I would recommend include Marvin Gaye - "Whats Going On"
Osibissa - "Soundtrack to Super Fly II"   and Earth Wind & Fire - "Gratitude"
Also, just about any album Stevie Wonder put out in the 70s.

Edited by Easy Money - May 08 2024 at 10:43
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 09:36
Jean Luc Ponty and Bruford (although I would consider the latter as jazz-rock leaning)
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 09:39
Peter Banks' Empire are the best Soul Prog band I know of. Thumbs Up

EMPIRE       A Crossover Prog band with a heart full of Soul, led by the "architect of prog", Peter Banks,  and also featuring the gorgeous soulful vocals of foxy lady, Sydney Foxx.
Empire recorded three superb albums in the mid-1970's - imaginatively titled Mark I, Mark II & Mark III - which wouldn't see release until the mid-1990's, followed by a contemporary 2020 tribute album recorded in memory of Peter Banks (1947-2013), released under the band name, The New Empire. Think of YES with a soulful female vocalist instead of Jon Anderson and that's the sound of The New Empire. Heart Smile

Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 12:59
Herbie Hancock: Head Hunters (1973), Thrust (1974), Flood (1975).
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 13:08
"Fire" by the Crazy World of Arthur Brown combines elements of soul music into Brown's vocal delivery and overall style, and hence it sticks out as a 1968 progressive rock song with strong soul-music influences. Arthur Brown provides a powerful vocal performance that embodies the deep expressions and dynamic delivery that define the soul music of the era. With its intense rhythm section, horn arrangements, and Vincent Crane's organ, which give the song more depth and richness, the instrumentation and composition of "Fire" also show elements of soul music. 

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 13:22
"Living for the City" from Stevie Wonder’s “Innervisions” album from 1973 can be considered a prime example of progressive soul music due to its genre-blending sound, socially conscious lyrics, and innovative and intricate musical arrangements, including powerful vocals, dynamic instrumentation, and a narrative structure that unfolds like a mini-drama.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 14:43
There is a strong soul-music ingredient present in Vangelis's song "Let It Happen" from his 1973 album "Earth." The track features a fusion of different genres and styles, and it is a progressive mix. "Let It Happen" infuses elements of soul music into the spectral composition by Vangelis, creating a unique blend of electronic, boogie, and soul influences. The incorporation of soul music elements adds depth and richness to the track, enhancing its overall sound and appeal.

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 15:42
Any Osibisa's LP ?
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 16:25
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Peter Banks' Empire are the best Soul Prog band I know of. Thumbs Up

EMPIRE       A Crossover Prog band with a heart full of Soul, led by the "architect of prog", Peter Banks,  and also featuring the gorgeous soulful vocals of foxy lady, Sydney Foxx.
Empire recorded three superb albums in the mid-1970's - imaginatively titled Mark I, Mark II & Mark III - which wouldn't see release until the mid-1990's, followed by a contemporary 2020 tribute album recorded in memory of Peter Banks (1947-2013), released under the band name, The New Empire. Think of YES with a soulful female vocalist instead of Jon Anderson and that's the sound of The New Empire. Heart Smile

Peter Banks and Sidonie Jordan made a great team!

"Everything Changes", "Someone Who Cares", "Shooting Star", "Sky At Night", "More Than Words", are fine songs. I love the jazz guitar as well. Always looking for this time of stuff - slow paces and proggy. Ambient. The only thing this song lacks are chimes!
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 16:48
Rare+Earth+-+Ma+-+Front.jpg (1415×1428)

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 18:21
^To paraphrase what Danny DeVito once said, who drew that trash?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 21:21
Parliament/Funkadelic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>