Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soul prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soul prog?
    Posted: May 13 2024 at 01:35
If we're discussing contemporary progressive soul, we can't leave out Anaiis. A French-Senegalese singer-songwriter based in London, England, Anaiis (stylized anaiis) is noted for her eclectic style, multilingualism, singing ability, and thoughtful lyrics.
Anaiis obviously draws inspiration from a wide range of musical genres, such as soul, R&B, sophisti pop, ambient, neo-psychedelia, and electronic music; thus, her music blends various genres, styles, and influences to create a unique sound that resonates with audiences worldwide.
This fusion of styles creates a dynamic and innovative sound that sets her apart in the music industry.
Being of French-Senegalese descent, Anaiis infuses her music with elements of both cultures. This cultural fusion adds depth and richness to her songs, incorporating traditional Senegalese rhythms and melodies alongside modern Western influences.
Anaiis is known for her introspective and thought-provoking lyrics. Her songs often explore themes of identity, love, empowerment, and social issues, reflecting her personal experiences and worldview. This lyrical depth adds another layer of complexity to her music.
Anaiis' song "Woman" ("Darkness at Play," 2019) fits into the progressive soul genre for several reasons. Firstly, the production of "Woman" incorporates a mix of electronic elements, an ambient-like atmosphere, and traditional soul instrumentation. The song features a unique blend of synthesisers, drum machines, and live instruments that create a dreamy yet experimental sound.
Secondly, the lyrics of "Woman" address complex themes related to womanhood, empowerment, and self-discovery. Anaiis' introspective and thought-provoking lyrics add depth to the song and resonate with listeners on a personal level.
Lastly, "Woman" showcases Anaiis' willingness to experiment with different musical styles and sounds. The song’s unconventional structure, use of vocal effects, and dynamic shifts demonstrate her artistic versatility and willingness to push boundaries within the soul genre.

"Woman," a live rendition.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 23:53
Michael Kiwanuka's s/t record is one of the contemporary progressive soul albums from the UK. Released in 2019, "Kiwanuka" is the third studio album by this British singer-songwriter, who is creating a fresh and innovative take on the soul genre. The album blends elements of soul, folk-rock, and psychedelic influences to create a unique and experimental sound that pushes the boundaries of traditional soul music. "Kiwanuka"'s exploration of themes such as identity, self-discovery, and societal issues further adds depth to its experimental nature, making it a standout example of contemporary progressive soul music from the UK. The album received critical acclaim for its bold experimentation and introspective lyrics, solidifying Michael Kiwanuka as one of the leading figures in the contemporary UK music scene.
Michael Kiwanuka’s distinctive vocals, combined with the innovative production on songs like "Hero," showcase his willingness to explore new sonic territories within the realm of soul music.

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 20:55
From Closure in Moscow's 2023 album Soft Hell - Primal Sinister

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 20:16
Going with more contemporary recommendation, the 2022 album Anitmai by The Dear Hunter.

Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 14:01
Wow, this topic is fire already!

Thank you all for providing various examples. So many added on my list. ^^
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 07:24
If you were listening to RnB radio in the late 70s, you might recall this pop gem, written by Shuggie Otis, that had a prog-rock sounding middle section.

Edited by Easy Money - May 10 2024 at 07:26
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 01:49
Space-soul music is a unique and eclectic fusion subgenre that combines elements of space-rock, soul, funk, and jazz to create a cosmic and soulful sound. "Space Is the Place," the album by Sun Ra and His Astro Intergalactic Infinity Arkestra, is an example of a space-soul album from the early 1970s that was fairly progressive.
This album by Sun Ra, a pioneer of afrofuturism and avant-garde jazz, embodies the essence of space-soul music with its blend of free jazz improvisations, cosmic themes, and spiritual undertones. "Space Is the Place" features a mix of avant-jazz, soul music, electronic sounds, and otherworldly compositions that transport listeners to a celestial realm.
Over 21 minutes long, the title track, featuring female vocals, is a quintessential example of progressive space-soul music from 1973.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 23:37
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I can't think of many (if any) legitimate examples of this. A lot of people are just mentioning funk, fusion, jazz or r and b albums that really have no real prog element.

I always thought the Lenny Kravitz song "Believe" was rather proggy and that and the whole album it's from Are You Gonna Go My Way has lots of soul and eclectic elements but I wouldn't really call it any kind of prog no matter how much I personally like it.

I like Lenny's early output a lot, especially AYGGMY through 5.

Check out his first album Let Love Rule

Heard all the old stuff, but that's the one that never grabbed me. My interest began (begins) with Mama Said.

I saw Lenny open for The Cult on the latter's Ceremony tour. That was one loud show.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 20:50
Did anyone mention Shuggie Otis or Curtis Mayfield yet?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 17:52
^ BoG is easily one of the greatest live rock LPs ever.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 17:10
James Marshall Hendrix:

Electric Ladyland or Band of Gypsys. Pick one. 

More progressive funk than just about anything out there. Just ask George Clinton. 

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 17:03
As he was mentioned, love Janko Nilovic, by the way. His Rythmes Contemporains is one of my favourite albums.

------------------------

I did not notice anyone mention Demon Fuzz - Afreaka!.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 15:28
"Solar Flight (Opus I)" by Mandré is a captivating and innovative instrumental track that blends elements of soul, funk, electronic music, and space-age themes, which is all so characteristic of this underrated artist. The song, released in 1977 as part of Mandré's self-titled debut album, perfectly exemplifies the artist's unique approach to music production and composition.
The track opens with a pulsating electronic beat that sets the tone for the futuristic journey the listener is about to embark on. Layers of synthesisers create a cosmic atmosphere, evoking images of outer space exploration and interstellar travel. The intricate melodies and harmonies weave together seamlessly, creating a sense of movement and progression throughout the song.
As "Solar Flight (Opus I)" unfolds, it builds in intensity, incorporating dynamic shifts in rhythm and texture. The use of unconventional sounds and effects adds depth to the composition, enhancing its otherworldly quality. Mandré's masterful production techniques shine through in the meticulous arrangement of each element, resulting in a rich sonic tapestry that captivates the listener from start to finish. "Solar Flight (Opus I)" stands as a testament to Mandré's boundary-pushing approach to music and his ability to create progressive experiences that transcend conventional soul-funk music.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 15:04
Rotary Connection - the best Psychedelic Soul band of all time (featuring Minnie Riperton) Broken Heart

Magical World - a video which makes the dystopian world of Stalinism look almost appealing.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 14:27
What immediately came to mind for Prog with funk and soul qualities is Magma for its late 70s and  through 80s period, as well as its latest Karthel which draws on its late 70s era, and music by the Magma related Christian Vander project Offering.  So from Magma, Attahk (1978), the Bobino 1981 concert album, Merci (1985) and Kartehhl (2122) for soulful jazz/funk qualities.

Parliament/Funkadelic has been mentioned and I would put certain albums in at least the Prog related/ adjacent universe.  Based on my listening, from under the Parliament name, I found the debut Osmium (1970) to be most Prog relevant, and from Funkadelic, the first few albums.  In the early 70s, P. Funk (Parliament-Funkadelic) was making really interesting and great music.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 14:26
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I can't think of many (if any) legitimate examples of this. A lot of people are just mentioning funk, fusion, jazz or r and b albums that really have no real prog element.

I always thought the Lenny Kravitz song "Believe" was rather proggy and that and the whole album it's from Are You Gonna Go My Way has lots of soul and eclectic elements but I wouldn't really call it any kind of prog no matter how much I personally like it.

I like Lenny's early output a lot, especially AYGGMY through 5.

Check out his first album Let Love Rule
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 14:02
This multi-sectioned opus will take you on a trip:

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 13:57
"The Book of Taliesyn" showcases several characteristics that align Deep Purple with the early progressive rock movement. The album includes extended instrumental passages, intricate arrangements, and diverse musical influences that set it apart from the classic rock music of the time. 
Written by Jon Lord and Rod Evans, "Anthem" stands out as a track that incorporates both soul music and classical music influences. The song features a soulful vocal delivery and a groove that reflects the rhythmic and melodic characteristics often found in soul music. It also features strings and church-like Hammond organ interplay; along with Blackmore's classically influenced guitar work, it creates a lush, symphonic sound. "Anthem" is a really fascinating 1968 blend of rock, soul, and classical elements.

Edited by Moyan - May 09 2024 at 14:04
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 12:53

Edited by mellotronwave - May 10 2024 at 06:27
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 10:49
The ultimate Progressive Soul album! Heart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>