FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOne star ratings...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 11:34
Originally posted by rockandrail rockandrail wrote:

1 star rating isn't less relevant than 5 stars'. What does it mean "essential to any prog collection"? what collection size? What if you really don't like a genre?  Will it be essential that you own a record you will never play?

I agree with that. Is the rating a personnal opinion or an objective approch on a cd ? For example, I think Spartacus from Triumvirat is crap, so my opinion would give it 1 star. But, I know that musicanship is good, and that many love this album. So, should I give it a one star, or try not to think about my opinion and judge it by his content ?

Other example, many love Zappa to death, but I don't really like him. So you want me to rate some of his works 5 stars when I don't like it ?? Doesn' t really makes sense. Why sould I rate an album 4 or 5 stars if I never listen to it and bored me ?

I think the star rating mean almost nothing. A subjectif written review is the best way to help people discovering a band or an album.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 14:05
There probably are a good deal of 1 star reviews that are biased, this is true. The flip side, that a pile of 5 star reviews are biased in the other direction, is also true. If you're going to hate some 1 star ratings, you might as well hate some 5 star ones while you're at it.

Originally posted by cobb cobb wrote:

We have been here before guys- everybody seems happy enough with the idea that given a good ratio of ratings on a particular work, everything will even out

He's entirely right. The bias seems to work outself out and we're fairly happy about it.

Edited by Six Eight
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 14:20
Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

...They are really frustrating i find...because i really does not got one record in my collection that deserves one star...not even the worst as POS, KC, Derek sherihan and the likes deserves one star so i begin to wonder if people are really serious when they give one star ratings?

Wow, if you don't have one cd that you think deserves a 1 star rating, you're not taking very many chances exploring new stuff.

Tell you what, here's a challange: go out and buy Emerson, Lake, and Powell (a legit prog lp) and then see what happens.

Or maybe something else. If you're really trying to branch out, you'll hit some crap sooner or later.

"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 14:23
Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

...They are really frustrating i find...because i really does not got one record in my collection that deserves one star...not even the worst as POS, KC, Derek sherihan and the likes deserves one star so i begin to wonder if people are really serious when they give one star ratings?

Wow, if you don't have one cd that you think deserves a 1 star rating, you're not taking very many chances exploring new stuff.

Tell you what, here's a challange: go out and buy Emerson, Lake, and Powell (a legit prog lp) and then see what happens.

Or maybe something else. If you're really trying to branch out, you'll hit some crap sooner or later.

well i guess if i went out and bought some black metal/grindcore stuff i would have to give one star...but i always try to do some research on if i like it or not because i dont really want to waste my money...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12