Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoundgarden- Wicked or S***?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soundgarden- Wicked or S***?
    Posted: October 25 2005 at 16:04

Does anyone else think that grunge is ignored, and nobody plays it anymore? Any prog fans who also like grunge, or do you all think it's stupid? Soundgarden is just about my favourite band after Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree. Chris Cornell is just about the greatest vocalist ever,(for my second favourite I'd have to say Raine Maida of Our Lady Peace, and then dead vocalists Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain, and then probably Robert Plant would be third favourite living vocalist)

Who hearts grunge? Anybody?

Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 16:15
I like Soundgarden' Superunknown album (Black Hole Sun and Spoon Man)
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 16:17

Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

I like Soundgarden' Superunknown album (Black Hole Sun and Spoon Man)

That and Alice in Chains' "Dirt" are masterpieces.

Never thought much of Nirvana and Pearl Jam, though.

Edited by Manunkind
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Wolf Spider View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 17:24
Don`t like soundgarden
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 17:28

Soundgarden are not Grunge ... they're an Alternative Rock band. They've always been much more inventive than Grundge bands like Pearl Jam. Superunknown is really experimental and even a little Avant-Garde, and Down on the Upside is a really magnificent Rock album. Badmotorfinger is my favorite though ... Rusty Cage RULES!

BTW: Temple of the Dog is a truly divine Alternative Rock album ... it features both Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder.

PeaceFrog: Check out Cornell's solo album Euphoria Morning, if you don't know it already. Cornell's finest hour!

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
porter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 17:37
I like their two last albums so much, I think Superunknown is a milestone in rock, one of the very last examples of original rock in the 90's. If you notice, they had a peculiarity: their songs were 90 % odd time signatures!!! I really like that. And the band shines in many places, Chris Cornell with incredible voice and skills, Kim Thayil on guitars, Matt Cameron an awesome drummer. I agree that they're not really grunge. Some friends of mine even consider them METAL!!!
"my kingdom for a horse!" (W. Shakespeare, "Richard III")
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 18:05
Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were two of the best bands to come out of Seattle.They blow Nirvana and Pearl Jam away.

Angeldust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 18:48

I think that grunge is not a music genre after all....These bands had clearly many differences..From Alice in chains to Soundgarden and from Mudhoney to Pearl Jam...It's modern hard rock actually with a different point of view..I think it's great...But what's sad is that you see bands today that haven't realised that it's all gone now..If you don't evolve something it's going to die...That's what happened in my opinion..But anyway who am i to judge...Soundgarden are great ,propably the most metal-influenced band (that supposed to play grunge) from Seattle....

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 20:20
Does anybody like the lesser know Seattle bands like Mother Love Bone,Mudhoney and Green River?

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 20:31
Or to outobscure everyone, Malfunkshun
Angeldust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 20:37
Mudhoney really rule...
Damen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 21:44
I like Alice in Chains, but I can't stand Soundgarden.
"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 21:45
ROBERT CORNELL IS A GOD!
yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 22:01

This is a perfect example of how genres can confuse and distort.  The term "grunge" came about to describe hard rock music that came out at a particular time (late '80s-through-early '90s) by bands who looked the part as much as sounded like it.  Initially, "grunge" was a label put on everything heavy that wasn't heavy metal.  Typically they were in the Seattle scene, but not necessarily.  These guys wore flannel, had sideburns... played in jeans and Chuck Taylors instead of tight leather pants and makeup... grunge.  There *was* a conscious effort by many of these bands to distance themselves from the increasingly silly, uncool and artistically bankrupt genre of heavy metal.  Soundgarden basically *were* heavy metal, except for their image.  Asking why people don't "play grunge" anymore is pointless, because grugne isn't really a musical genre.

Neil Young was considered the "godfather of grunge" because he also played heavy music (with Crazy Horse) that wasn't heavy metal.  Heretofore unclassifaible bands like Sonic Youth were considered a part of the grunge movement by association, although they aren't considered grunge in hindsight.   

In my own opinion, Soundgarden made one really good album (Superunknown), Alice in Chains made none, Mudhoney made several, Stone Temple Pilots made none, Pearl Jam made two and Nirvana made one.  And don't forget Dinosaur Jr, whose first four albums are really good, IMO.  Gotta love the sludgey cover of that Peter Frampton tune.    

Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 06:39
I bought a certain game called Road Rush for pc and the sountrack for the intro was soundgarden and i went "what was that?" so i later found out it was soundgarden and i got some of their songs...great stuff
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 06:52
Originally posted by yargh yargh wrote:

This is a perfect example of how genres can confuse and distort.  The term "grunge" came about to describe hard rock music that came out at a particular time (late '80s-through-early '90s) by bands who looked the part as much as sounded like it.  Initially, "grunge" was a label put on everything heavy that wasn't heavy metal.  Typically they were in the Seattle scene, but not necessarily.  These guys wore flannel, had sideburns... played in jeans and Chuck Taylors instead of tight leather pants and makeup... grunge.  There *was* a conscious effort by many of these bands to distance themselves from the increasingly silly, uncool and artistically bankrupt genre of heavy metal.  Soundgarden basically *were* heavy metal, except for their image.  Asking why people don't "play grunge" anymore is pointless, because grugne isn't really a musical genre.

Neil Young was considered the "godfather of grunge" because he also played heavy music (with Crazy Horse) that wasn't heavy metal.  Heretofore unclassifaible bands like Sonic Youth were considered a part of the grunge movement by association, although they aren't considered grunge in hindsight.   

In my own opinion, Soundgarden made one really good album (Superunknown), Alice in Chains made none, Mudhoney made several, Stone Temple Pilots made none, Pearl Jam made two and Nirvana made one.  And don't forget Dinosaur Jr, whose first four albums are really good, IMO.  Gotta love the sludgey cover of that Peter Frampton tune.    

You should really check out Temple of the Dog ... IMO it's THE brilliant grunge album. It's not really grunge to me, it toys with many genres ... but I guess that considering the time it was released and the artists that participated, I guess you could call it grunge.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 08:27
Originally posted by yargh yargh wrote:

Have you listened to any AIC EPs? Much better than any of their LPs, I'd say. Dirt's good in places but inconsistent and the others I'll like maybe one track off, but the EPs are both(?) top notch all the way through. Good call on Dinosaur Jr
ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 08:47

Love Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Mother Love Bone and Temple of the Dog. I have quite a few Pearl Jam albums as well, but hardly ever listen to them anymore as the band ran out of ideas after No Code.

I was lucky enough to get to see Soundgarden live during their last European tour, they played in Oslo about 6 months before they split up. Awesome concert
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 09:49

Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Have you listened to any AIC EPs? Much better than any of their LPs, I'd say. Dirt's good in places but inconsistent and the others I'll like maybe one track off, but the EPs are both(?) top notch all the way through. Good call on Dinosaur Jr [/QUOTE]

I don't hate AIC or anything, I just was never 'wowed' by them.  Have I heard all their EPs?  It's been a long time since the early '90s, but I doubt it. I know I heard Jar of Flies and I think that's an EP.   

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 12:20
Fair enough, but if you ever see "Sap" (and especially the track "Brother") around give it a listen - it might be an acoustic EP (I can't remember offhand), but it's far, far better than their pretty dire acoustic album, I guess because they were specifically written for acoustic guitars.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>