Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost Uncool Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which band is currently the most "uncool" to listen to?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
8 [3.94%]
7 [3.45%]
2 [0.99%]
17 [8.37%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [3.45%]
2 [0.99%]
43 [21.18%]
0 [0.00%]
117 [57.64%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 17:49

[quote}Not sure about that. There is an interesting discussion in another thread about how Gong, Tangerine Dream etc. were maybe forerunners of todays trance-ambient music which is super cool at the clubs and raves. If trance is an offshoot of prog then prog is pretty cool.[/quote]

I don't agree, people in trance-ambient parties, discos or raves don't give a damn who is playing, which band is which band, even  ELP knowing that, released re-works (A trance-rave mix) to gain new audience, but it was crap even for raves.

People at those parties just follow the beat and the work done by the Dj's adding sounds and synthetized rhythms, this doesn't mean Gong or Tangerine Dream are cool bands, ask any of the guys there who are Gong or Tangerine Dream and 99'9% won't have a fu**ing idea.

I stand in my point, since I'm 13 (1977) and a Proghead, our beloved music hasn't been remotely cool, they called us nerds, trekkies-Sci Fi nuts, Mythological idiots, insane, potsmokers, pompous bast*rds, snobs, etc.

I thought since Dream Theater, Prog Metal was considered cool, but last weel a member of PA told me that they were seen as satanist and addicts (a common stereotype) receiving a lot of pressure not even from Rap or Hip Hop fans (Which are the most today), but also from religious groups, so I believe things are still the same. 

A cool band has the support of the radios, DJ's and musical industry, Prog as a genre never had it (except for a couple of bands).

So I insist Prog isn't cool, never was and most surely never will.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 17:57
I think Genesis where concidered cool in the 80's and it was concidered cool and trendy to go to an Genesis concert
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 18:00

Originally posted by John Gargo John Gargo wrote:

Out of those listed, I picked U2.  I would rather be sodomized with a rusty steel pole than be subjected to a full album of their material.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 22:59

Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

I think Genesis where concidered cool in the 80's and it was concidered cool and trendy to go to an Genesis concert

They were not Prog on the 80's.

Iván

Led_head04* View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 23:51
How can you knock Heart their Awesome.  I voted for Starship I love Jeferson Airplane, but "We built this city has to be by far the worse song I've ever heard.  
All you need is love!!!!
       - John Lennon & Paul McCartney

Led_head04* View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 23:57

Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

green day is the worst

People have compared them to the Beatles.  How can anyone ever compare a crappy band like that to the Beatles.  

All you need is love!!!!
       - John Lennon & Paul McCartney

Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 02:37
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

[quote}Not sure about that. There is an interesting discussion in another thread about how Gong, Tangerine Dream etc. were maybe forerunners of todays trance-ambient music which is super cool at the clubs and raves. If trance is an offshoot of prog then prog is pretty cool.

I don't agree, people in trance-ambient parties, discos or raves don't give a damn who is playing, which band is which band, even  ELP knowing that, released re-works (A trance-rave mix) to gain new audience, but it was crap even for raves.

People at those parties just follow the beat and the work done by the Dj's adding sounds and synthetized rhythms, this doesn't mean Gong or Tangerine Dream are cool bands, ask any of the guys there who are Gong or Tangerine Dream and 99'9% won't have a fu**ing idea.

I stand in my point, since I'm 13 (1977) and a Proghead, our beloved music hasn't been remotely cool, they called us nerds, trekkies-Sci Fi nuts, Mythological idiots, insane, potsmokers, pompous bast*rds, snobs, etc.

I thought since Dream Theater, Prog Metal was considered cool, but last weel a member of PA told me that they were seen as satanist and addicts (a common stereotype) receiving a lot of pressure not even from Rap or Hip Hop fans (Which are the most today), but also from religious groups, so I believe things are still the same. 

A cool band has the support of the radios, DJ's and musical industry, Prog as a genre never had it (except for a couple of bands).

So I insist Prog isn't cool, never was and most surely never will.

Iván

[/QUOTE]

Dream Theater satanist?!

Human stupidity has really no boundaries! Falling Into Stupidity...

Starette View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 05:07
These bands, except U2, appear to be SO uncool that I don't even know them!  So I can't really vote- truth be told I love U2. The Fly= DAMn good song.
50 tonne angel falls to the earth...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 10:18
Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

Dream Theater satanist?!

There's no limit for human stupidity and for fundamentalism, I just was telling what a member told me in his PM answering to one of my posts (Again I don't give names, because if he sent a private message, he must have his reasons, and PM's must remain private).

About a year ago we were talking in Prog Archives about an a$$hole who wrote saying Prog was satanic on his web page and also said:

• All Progheads are pot smokers and smell like pot becaus4e yjey smoke it all day.
  • All Progheads are dirty pigs who use old jeans and never wash them
  • Progressive rock is satanic, and used King Crimson as an example.
  • All Progheads have long hair and dirty beards.

Plus some more stupid things, he received so many messages from members of PA, that he had to close his web site.

Iván

Gronostay View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 10:25
U2U2U2U2U2U2U2U2
U2U2U2U2U2U2U2U2
U2U2U2U2U2U2U2U2
U2U2U2U2U2U2U2U2
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 11:23
Huey Lewis and the News
Flea709 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 01:16
Well I most certainly know that I hate the hell out of U2....and Loverboy is damn cool!
The Green Tank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 22:41
U2 are so insanely overrated. They have a few OK songs but come on, people. Have a little taste.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 23:11

I don't feel ashamed to say I really like Joshua's Tree, but nothing released by U2 after this great album.

Don't get so much hatred, Phil Collins never played with them

Iván

Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 02:39
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

Dream Theater satanist?!

There's no limit for human stupidity and for fundamentalism, I just was telling what a member told me in his PM answering to one of my posts (Again I don't give names, because if he sent a private message, he must have his reasons, and PM's must remain private).

About a year ago we were talking in Prog Archives about an a$$hole who wrote saying Prog was satanic on his web page and also said:

• All Progheads are pot smokers and smell like pot becaus4e yjey smoke it all day.
  • All Progheads are dirty pigs who use old jeans and never wash them
  • Progressive rock is satanic, and used King Crimson as an example.
  • All Progheads have long hair and dirty beards.

Plus some more stupid things, he received so many messages from members of PA, that he had to close his web site.

Iván

This guy should be punished with a massive dose of Mayhem and Marduk !

Edited by Norbert
Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 03:09
Originally posted by The Green Tank The Green Tank wrote:

U2 are so insanely overrated. They have a few OK songs but come on, people. Have a little taste.

But that's not the point of this poll.  Most people have voted for U2 because they don't like them, not because they're uncool.
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark
Wolf Spider View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 03:54
Manowar
Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 15:43
I voted U2, but the band that's the crappiest but gets the most recognisition nowadays has got to be Green Day. They're not punk, barely rock n' roll and probably use the same chords over and over again with a lot of distortion so you can't hear the difference (or the sameness). Seriously, the Beatles have 'harder' and 'heavier' stuff than that.
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 21:30

Actually all the groups on the list have some cool merits - with the exception of "Starship" .

Starship were uncool when they came into being and imo will always be one of the most uncool groups ever. Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship on the other hand are VERY cool.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

kirklott View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 21:33

You whiteys who voted KC did so cuz you don't know how to get funky and shake yo thing. Don't dis my man KC. He rocks!

I voted Starship because "Built This City" line up was f*cked. Sorry for breaking the profanity rule, but I think the moderators will make an exception here.

U2 and Bono are lame. They've done 2 good albums, notably Achtung Baby, but haven't made a decent record in 14 years. They suck. Rarely have 4 people made so much money for doing nothing. And what's really pathetic - they had to load fake reviews for "Atomic Bomb" on Amazon because the album was getting slammed. Here's my review on Amazon:

Caveat Emptor: there's a general rule of thumb for reviews for this album: bad or medicore reviews are written by real people, as evidenced by the fact that they have written other reviews. (just click on "see all my reviews")

In contrast, the 5-star reviews are brief and usually written by people who have written few if any other reviews. Hmmm. Very, very suspicious.

It's also very odd that about half of the 5-star reviews are written by people with Hispanic names - and most with only one review written. Perhaps a massive campaign of propaganda and lies was off-shored to Puerto Rico or Mexico.

Also these reviews consistenly refer to the band's 2005 tour, proving that U2 manager Paul McGuinness is saavy at cross-marketing. At least U2 is doing a good job of watching the bottom line.

It's pretty sad that a band that was once one of the greatest in the world has apparently resorted to flooding Amazon with fake reviews. Shame on U2.

"Progressive rock is the key to the continuance of human evolution." - Charles Darwin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>