Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow exactly is Hawkwind prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 08:48

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

the hawkwind museum is in the prog rock ring
they are spacerockers and i timothy leary know something about that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Leary

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 11:19
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Here's my take on it: In my book, prog is any rock that goes outside the boundries, experiments, and is influence by music styles other than rock. Hawkwind certainly go outside the boundries of normal rock, they experiment constantly with effects and synths, and they employ free jazz to there songs. There you go. Depending on how look at it, Hawkwind are prog. or not. It depends on your definition of prog.

The use of synthesizers (or more generally: electronic instruments) is sometimes considered to be a sign of prog. I agree ... for albums which were made when those instruments were innovative. The question is: Do newer bands also qualify as prog when they use innovative instruments - or tools, such as computer based manipulation of sound?

The other thing (using Jazz influences) is a good reason to call something prog ... if - as you said - one's definition of prog does include Jazz-Rock (and Rock-Jazz, Fusion or whatever you call it). And including it is a sane thing - not only for true Fusion bands, but also the whole bunch of Canterbury bands.

About your question: Today, using electronics and computers is normal. But in the seventies is was revolutionary and experimental. You could still be revolutionary and experimental with electronics today, but it would take a lot. If they did, then they could be prog.

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 11:21
your point? to bob greece

Edited by timothy leary
Flip_Stone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 13:07

Uh, the reverse question should be asked instead:  How exactly is Hawkwind NOT prog?

Have you not listened to albums like The Hall of the Mountain Grill or Warrior On the Edge of Time?  They're pure prog.

Edited by Easy Livin
hawkbrock View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 15:31
Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

Originally posted by hawkbrock hawkbrock wrote:

but I rathe rlike them all the same.

Your username gives it away really.

It does?!?

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 16:36
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

and, of course, they had Stacia too, though i'm not going to post any pics of her

Stacia was damn progressive...

sonic_assassin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 19:13

Speaking as someone who's seen them play live around 30 times now, I see where the guy's coming from, who said, "Most psychedelic music isn't very progressive..."  Hawkwind are at the rock metal end of the space rock rainbow (contrasting with Gong, say) and they just blast away with that wall of sound, even when they're just a 3-piece.

I've always regarded the Hawks as space rock, or as just Hawkwind - thus disdaining any demeaning categories such as lesser bands get swallowed up in. Or, sometimes, I'm an old hippy and say "They just are..." (toke)

I don't think they ought to be put in crude pigeonholes... they are unique...

akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 21:06
Warriors in the edge of Time is one of the best progressive rock albuns Iīve ever heard. Simon House is pretty underrated, as his work with moog and mellotron is fantastic (check The Demented Man from this album).

In fact Hawkwind was the band that make me into prog rock. I didnīt know what progressive rock was when I bought a Hawkwind cd in a store for a ridiculous price (less than 1 dollar). Then I listened over and over to it and found I liked it very much. Then I discovered it was progressive rock and went to buy albuns from major progressive bands, like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull without knowing more than one song of each of these bands.
stan the man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 21:43
i am probibly theo only person to have not heard hawk wind.  i was gonna start a topic on how to start with them but il just ask here.  how should i start with hawk wind? 
true as a lobster in a pteredaktyl's underpants.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 22:03
Originally posted by stan the man stan the man wrote:

i am probibly theo only person to have not heard hawk wind.  i was gonna start a topic on how to start with them but il just ask here.  how should i start with hawk wind? 

easy hahahha ...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
stan the man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 23:28
i see nice album cover i might say. 
true as a lobster in a pteredaktyl's underpants.

IcedSabbath View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 00:40

Originally posted by cobb cobb wrote:

Now lets say someone had only listened to Discipline- could you justify this as prog?

Discipline is pure prog, dude. A better example would be...the song "Sleepless," perhaps?

carpetcrawl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 08:06

Having just read the Saga Of Hawkwind Book, what a stuffed up band, they where hippies, playing free concerts. Prog no, they never set out to be, psychedelic, yes, and thats what got prog fans into them , the dope etc and how that sound just carrys you away, I can remember going into a rock club in Manchester in the 70s, as I entered this powerful sound just got me hooked, I t was Born to Go from The Space Ritual not prog but how prog fans love it.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 08:32
Originally posted by stan the man stan the man wrote:

i see nice album cover i might say. 

the pictures in the liner notes are .... interesting hahahah.  Ms. Stacia rocks!!!  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Space Dimentia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 08:43

I can understand why people ask the question are hawkwind prog becuase they seem to straddle so many differnt types of rock but for me they are prog because I do know that at the time there was no real synth type music around in the 70's but if you take the meaning of prog as pushing boundaries and finding new forms then they are prog.

I love them, I brought space ritual yesterday and I f**king love it! It hits all the right buttons for me! To me they are space rock, and in a similar vein to realy early floyd plus I have always classed space rock as sub-genre of prog because it is still pushing boundaries. One could argue that with out bands like hawkwind you wouldn't have all the synth/techno pop of the late 70's and 80's and bansd like Gary Numan.

Edited by Space Dimentia
Prog is music for the mind
Hear your Orphaned child!
Check out my bands myspace site: www.myspace.com/equinox17
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 08:45
Originally posted by Space Dimentia Space Dimentia wrote:

I can understand why people ask the question are hawkwind prog becuase they seem to straddle so amny differnt types of rock but for me they are prog because I do know that at the time there was no real synth type music around in the 70's but if you take the meaning of prog as pushing boundaries and finding new forms then they are prog.

I love them, I brought space ritual yesterday and I f**king love it! It hits all the right buttons for me! To me they are space rock, and in a similar vein to realy early floyd plus I have always classed space rock as sub-genre of rpog beucse it is still pushing boundaries, one could argue that with out bands like hawkwind you wouldn't have all the synth/techno pop of the late 70's and 80's and bansd like Gary Numan.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 08:49
Plus even though I am 20 I must say Miss Stacia is HOT HOT HOT! pLus they have Lemmy 'Motorhead' Kilminster!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 08:53
Originally posted by Space Dimentia Space Dimentia wrote:

Plus even though I am 20 I must say Miss Stacia is HOT HOT HOT! pLus they have Lemmy 'Motorhead' Kilminster!

Lemmy just oozes ...cool.  Anything in particular off the album 'grab' you yet.  I'm being taken away to the astral plane by 'Space is Deep' as I type hahahha (Had to put it on this morning).  Also love Orgonne Acumulator, Brainstorm, and of course... Sonic Attack hahahhah.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 09:21
I love it all Micky! To me its just one long song! LOL But If I had to pick then Id have to say Orgone Acumulator, Sonic Attack, Master of the Universe, Time to leave this earth today (very disturbing song) plus (even though it is not on the album ,becuase they hadn't written it yet) the song that got me into them Silver Machine! 

Edited by Space Dimentia
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 03:00

I think that anyone new to Hawkwind should listen to "Levitation" or "Sonic Attack", and marvel at how slick and seamless "Levitation" is, considering it was released in 1980, then cower in terror at the brutal sounds on "Sonic Attack", which is a few light-years away from anything else released in or before 1982.

"Space Ritual" is the album that got me into the Hawks, and I totally agree - it's like listening to one double-album length song that constantly changes and keeps you right on the edge of a manic rollercoaster. Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister's bass playing is formidable!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>