FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"?" and "Wall Street Voodoo" first listen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "?" and "Wall Street Voodoo" first listen
    Posted: November 08 2005 at 22:12

These albums have surprised me, especially Roine's one.

After playing "?", I was a bit overwhelmed by the length of the piece. It is a song in the vein of 'Garden of Dreams' which is divided into many sections. some songs are ok/good, while others are great. "12" contains a brilliant Hackett solo that reminds me of Firth of Fifth (I played this track 3 times in a loop because of the solo) I will play this album many more time before judging it. For now, it looks like a B- in my prog grade scale: slighly weaker than the previous two albums because of lack of originality... but I predict it to turn into a B+ after time

Wall Street Voodoo seems like a masterpiece of guitar-oriented music. First, I was surprised that this was not prog, that Roine let out a few curses, and that the music is like a Jimmi Hendrix-Led Zeppelin hybrid!. The song writing in this album is not that great (somewhat inferior to neal morse's "?") but the guitar playing is what makes this album so great. Songs like The Observer and Remember blew me away! After listening to this album, I am starting to think that Roine is as good as guitar maestros such as Steve Howe, Eric Clapton, Steve Hackett, Jimmy Page, Al DiMeola, Santana, and others. For now : an A- in my prog grade scale. I think I may lose interest after listens since it is not very complex music. Instead, it is just a bunch of great guitar licks played after good, if not great, melodic vocal passages

Bravo Neal.

Bravo Roine!!!

The Ryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 22:38
I completely agree with you on the topic of Wallstreet Voodoo. Roine Stolt has surprised me as well with his not-as-proggy guitarwork recently, I love Clapton and Hendrix, so of course I have to love Wallstreet Voodoo. I believe the album is a positive step in Stolt's career, and I'd go as far to say it's his best "solo" effort, though that's because I'd prefer these rocky-blues solos over his previous work (solo career only). I also see what you mean by "I think I may lose interest after listens since it is not very complex music." Good point, it isn't that complex in comparison to some of his other work perhaps, but it's fresh, old school 70's sounding at the same time, and  I'm still enjoying it now.
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 22:50

Well, actually, I may not lose interest because Led Zeppelin is not very complex, yet it always remains my favourite rock band.

I think this album contains the best guitar shownmanship from a prog artist. However, the songwriting is not as great as his 'Flower King' and albums such as Unfold the Future, Space Revolver, and Stardust We Are.

By the Way, I love the "Burn it in the fiiiiireEEEEE!" section from Neal Morse's 55+ minute long epic.

Edited by Zitro
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 22:56

Bravo Roine-Roine did say that this new album would be guitar driven and reminiscent of 70's rock/blues/psychadelia.I have listened to this cd constantly in the last 2 weeks.

Bravo Neal-Reminds me a lot of Transatlantic,and Neal's best post-SB effort yet.

2 of the best albums of 2005

Post Reply Post Reply