Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe boring 80’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 14:40
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by darren darren wrote:

There was almost a bit of an explosion of diverse music at the time. There was a lot of 70's pop plugging up the airwave and New Wave, as well as other musical styles came in like a fresh breeze. Dire Straits hit full stride. There was a lot of Ska influenced music around. I'm kind of shocked that you lumped U2 and The Police in with Duran Duran. The Police had some pretty complex stuff, or "used a lot of expensive chords" as Andy Summers put it. U2 may not have been remotely prog but they could put political statements in with such dazzling music better than most.

Those three bands you mention are 70's band that had more success inthe 80's.

The 80's were poor in prog (outside neo -prog)

U2 is a 70's band? How so?

Anyway, yes, these bands did start in the 70's but they still released great groundbreaking albums in the 80's.

I would hardly classify the 80's as boring but then, I didn't spend a lot of time listening to mainstream radio. I guess when people say 80's, some think of mainstream pop. There was a whole world that existed outside of the mainstream. Word of mouth was still large, just not as instant as the internet age.

Maybe I was just luckier than most. Growing up in Canada I could listen to CBC radio late at night and there were several radio shows devoted to obscure and experimental music. I also watched MuchMusic on tv. They had a show "Citylimits" (later renamed "The Wedge"), also a great source of great music. Originally the show "The New Music" was devoted to more obscure, less mainstream than later years. Of course I lived not far from Winnipeg and there were several "hole in the wall" music stores that had a lot of great stuff.

I guess very little was labelled as "Progressive rock". It was more "Art rock" or "experimental".

Oops. I'm rambling again.

"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
Hibou View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 15:30

Wow, thanks guys! What I’ve learned from all this is that the 80’s seem to have been boring only to those of us old enough to have lived through the golden age of prog. I happened to grow up during that golden age, so I found the 80’s quite a let-down in comparison. Perhaps it’s all relative, proving once again that the music we grow up with will always be the best. As Sigod put it: if this music all you know, it's all you need baby”.

Still, I admit you’ve brought me back some fond memories: Dire Straits, Talk Talk, Gowan, Simple Minds, Supertramp, Peter Gabriel’s Biko, etc.

Darren: you’re right about many of us thinking of the 80’s in terms of mainstream pop. The problem is, mainstream radio did play Yes, Genesis and ELP at some point in time; and we did not have to scour piles of bargain bins to find lesser known prog bands (yes, I, too, have stayed up nights listening to the CBC hoping to hear something a little different).

What it comes down to, I think, is that my generation was spoiled rotten when it comes to prog: it was handed down to us on a silver platter (and anything less interesting was discarded as 'boring'). You, on the other hand, have had to work hard to get at the goodies; and you know the price of a good album (not only in terms of $$$). And for this reason, I tip my hat off to you, as I do every time I hear people in their teens, 20's or even 30's admit they're into prog.

Keep those 'ramblings' coming .

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Progueuse/Album.jpg">
Gene Police: You!! Out of the pool!
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 15:39
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Don't get me started on NWOBHM

Remember "Frozen Rainbow" on Saxon's debut - yeah! Saxon doing prog! (almost...!)

Some of Def Leppard's early stuff had proggy leanings (in the same way as early Priest), and you've practically listed all my fave bands from that time - except Motorhead.

Time for a thread on NWOBHM, methinks...

i was there Saxon Maiden Leppard Mantis etc etc saw them all
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Catholic Flame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 16:08

I gave up on Rock in the 80's.

I spent the decade listening to Jazz (ECM) and to New Grass (The New Grass Revival).

“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.”

~Jack Kerouac
Olympus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 16:13

I can't remember the 80's guess i was about 4. But I Like Dire stra...

"Let's get the hell away from this Eerie-ass piece of work so we can get on with the rest of our eerie-ass day"
Hibou View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 16:43

[QUOTE=Hibou]

salut Lise, ça boume?

Yes, Sean, ça boom très bien. In fact, I think we baby boomers are becoming the champion whiners of the world (what else is new ).

You say: So i have a better image of the 80's musically-speaking now than back then, only by retrospect because I know groups now , I had no idea even existed then.

That I can relate to very well. There are so many bands I’ve just discovered lately, thanks to the internet and in particular to this very site - bands I never knew even existed back then. That’s what I thought when I read Sigod’s list. I know practically all of the bands he mentions but most would have drawn a big blank in my mind had I seen their names back then.

Thank God for the internet and for ProgArchives !

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Progueuse/Album.jpg">
Gene Police: You!! Out of the pool!
Harlequin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 18:01
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The Smiths were great. I have all their albums, and a couple of Morrissey solo albums too. I cant imagine that many people around here liking them, but you never know.

Wrong there mate. Love the Smiths. Joy Division, Japan, Echo and the Bunneymen, Kraftwerk, Simple Minds, the Passage, the Normal, OMD, Ultravox, New Order, Roxy Music and especially early Human League got me through the 80's.

Edited by Harlequin
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best...
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 18:15

I can remember the word BORING in the Eighties but that was from Phil Colins in an interview in the Melody Maker when he talked about Pink Floyd: that kind of music was "boring" he said after beiing attacked for making the sound from Genesis so polished and commercial!

For me The Eighties were far from boring: I'm from 1960 and was ready for the neo-progressive movement that emerged in those years: Marillion, Pendragon, Twelfth Night, IQ, I've seen them from the beginning and followed especially Marillion fanatically, as so many young progheads who were mesmerized by the gentle giant Fish, a great performer who knew how to entertain his audience!

During The Eighties I visited outstanding concerts from Steve Hackett (80-85), Peter Gabriel (83-88), Rush (81-86), King Crimson (Discipline tour), Jethro Tull, Manfred Mann's Earth Band (Angel Station tour), Camel (Nude tour), Santana (Moonflower tour), Rainbow, Pink Floyd (The Wall), Barclay James Harvest (Turn Of The Tide tour), in fact it was a very interesting period because all the big names and interesting progrock bands came to Holland and I can only remember sold out venues and progheads (known as pragmatic and rational) who reacted very enthousiastic and emotional, GREAT TIME THOSE EIGHTIES  !

herbie53 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 18:57

Ok, I was born in 71, and in the 80's I discovered PINK FLOYD - The Wall, my first contact with Prog Rock. In those days I was hearing very many Rock styles (pop, hard, metal, aor...) but all my favorite bands was from... the 70's ! (Zep, Purple, Whitesnake, Sabbath, Cream)

Then I discovered other great Prog masters... YES, KING CRIMSON, ELP, TRIUMVIRAT  and the greatest of them all... GENESIS.

But, back to the 80's, in that time I already known GENESIS, the pop band, and I really liked of them... but when I disclosed the prog band... I LOVED IT !!!

Well, maybe because I heard varied musical styles in those days, actually I listen some of that old bands, without shame: Duran Duran, The Police, Gene Loves Gezebel, The Cure, The Mission, Dire Straits, U2, Van Halen, The Cult, Journey, Foreigner, Triumph...

barbs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 19:51

Well unlike some, for me 90125 had enough in it with Changes, It can happen and Leave it to keep me hopeful for something better in the future. I also must admit to liking elements of the Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum and Metallica moments along with Jon and Vangelis but I also remember thinking that in that decade I spent alot less on music than I did in the others. Bascially, I hardly bought anything so I guess that sums it up.
Eternity
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 20:08

I spent the first half of the 80's in college and started the decade off with Moody Blues 'Long Distance Voyager', Bowie's 'Scary Monsters', ELO 'Time', Asia, Manfred Mann's 'Somewhere in Africa', Klaatu's 'Endangered Species', Yes 'Drama', and the implosion of Kansas.

True, the 80's were not kind to most of the "golden years" proggers (with some exceptions - Robert Fripp did lots of pretty interesting collaborations in the 80's; Brian Eno recorded quite a bit - some good, some not; and Gabriel got himself a pass on the decade for 'Biko' alone.  But there was still a lot of really interesting music, much of it experimental, if not strictly progressive.  I did a quick sort in my Media Player files and found a long list of bands that made their names in the 80's:

Agent Orange
Laurie Anderson
Aztec Camera
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Boomtown Rats
Kate Bush (pretty everything she did worth noting was in the 80's)
Burning Spear
Cramps
The Cure
Dead Kennedys
Death of Samantha
Echo and the Bunnymen
Faith No More
fIREHOSE
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Golden Palominos
Guadalcanal Diary
Gun Club
Ofra Haza
Hoodoo Gurus
Jesus and Mary Chain
Joy Division (already mentioned here several times)
Killing Joke
King Sunny Ade
Legendary Pink Dots
Napalm Death
New Model Army
Orange Juice
OMD
Replacements
Residents
Roxy Music
Todd Rundgren
Scritti Politti
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Soul Asylum
Stooges
Suicidal Tendencies
Richard Thompson
Violent Femmes
Voivod
Tom Waits
X
XTC

Almost none of these bands are listed in progarchives, but if nothing else they helped some of us survive the decade with some measure of sanity.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
John Gargo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 20:10

Good call on NWOBHM and thrash... 

NWOBHM is basically metal with prog influences (the guys from Iron Maiden are openly vocal about bands like Jethro Tull and Van Der Graaf inspiring them), and thrash bands (the good ones) would "compose" songs in the same way that prog bands did, with lengthy instrumental sections, etc. etc.

Harlequin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 20:36
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I did a quick sort in my Media Player files and found a long list of bands that made their names in the 80's:

XTC

Almost none of these bands are listed in progarchives, but if nothing else they helped some of us survive the decade with some measure of sanity.

How could I miss XTC. One of the most memorable gigs I went to was XTC's first album tour at a basement club in Liverpool (Eric's), complete with steam piano!!

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 06:26

There was almost a bit of an explosion of diverse music at the time. There was a lot of 70's pop plugging up the airwave and New Wave, as well as other musical styles came in like a fresh breeze. Dire Straits hit full stride. There was a lot of Ska influenced music around. I'm kind of shocked that you lumped U2 and The Police in with Duran Duran. The Police had some pretty complex stuff, or "used a lot of expensive chords" as Andy Summers put it. U2 may not have been remotely prog but they could put political statements in with such dazzling music better than most.

Those three bands you mention are 70's band that had more success inthe 80's.

The 80's were poor in prog (outside neo -prog)

U2 is a 70's band? How so?

Anyway, yes, these bands did start in the 70's but they still released great groundbreaking albums in the 80's.

I would hardly classify the 80's as boring but then, I didn't spend a lot of time listening to mainstream radio. I guess when people say 80's, some think of mainstream pop. There was a whole world that existed outside of the mainstream. Word of mouth was still large, just not as instant as the internet age.

Maybe I was just luckier than most. Growing up in Canada I could listen to CBC radio late at night and there were several radio shows devoted to obscure and experimental music. I also watched MuchMusic on tv. They had a show "Citylimits" (later renamed "The Wedge"), also a great source of great music. Originally the show "The New Music" was devoted to more obscure, less mainstream than later years. Of course I lived not far from Winnipeg and there were several "hole in the wall" music stores that had a lot of great stuff.

I guess very little was labelled as "Progressive rock". It was more "Art rock" or "experimental".

Oops. I'm rambling again.

Actually if you can believe it I also listened to CBC radios but never heard much interesting ujntil late night.

And I used to hang arounf a bar called The Wedge = actually we suggested the name change from the Wedgewood cafe. It was halfway over a dry area limit in Swansea Toronto (Bloor Street West just before the Humber River valley and the Old Mill Auberge)

U2 groundbreaking? When? Artistically and aesthetically sane surely, but groundbreaking? I love what they did from Unforgettable Fire until Achtung Baby (included) but I hear nothing groundbreaking!

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 06:45
Originally posted by Hibou Hibou wrote:

[QUOTE=Hibou]

salut Lise, ça boume?

Yes, Sean, ça boom très bien. In fact, I think we baby boomers are becoming the champion whiners of the world (what else is new ). Yes actually you baby boomers are also racking in all the social benefits , emptying the Solidarity funds and leaving the next generation (mine) to work untl 85 years old since the Pension funds will be dried up from your generation living until 120 on average!

You say: So i have a better image of the 80's musically-speaking now than back then, only by retrospect because I know groups now , I had no idea even existed then.

That I can relate to very well. There are so many bands I’ve just discovered lately, thanks to the internet and in particular to this very site - bands I never knew even existed back then. That’s what I thought when I read Sigod’s list. I know practically all of the bands he mentions but most would have drawn a big blank in my mind had I seen their names back then.

Thank God for the internet and for ProgArchives !

Yup I must say that the Web is partly responsible for my spending fortunes on records

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 07:22
I really can't tell you how the 80s where because I was born in 89.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 10:11
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Am i the only one here who thinks "The Smiths" are the best 80's band? I yust love em... Morrissey have one of the best voices ever. And Marr's guitarr work is fantastic.  

The Smiths were great. I have all their albums, and a couple of Morrissey solo albums too. I cant imagine that many people around here liking them, but you never know.

I think 'The Queen is Dead' and 'Strangeways here we come' were their best albums, and their live album 'Rank' was superb!

The Smiths were fantastic!!

"Strangeways Here We Come" is my favourite of their albums 

It practically goes without saying that Morrisey's lyrics are up there with Fish and Gabriel's.

GPFR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 15:21
THE 80's WERE NOT BORING, I HAD SOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN EXPEIRIMENTING WITH MY KNEW FANCY MICROWAVE!!!!!!!
www.myspace.com/hail_peter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12