Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReviews and ratings - does it make sense?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 13:56
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

i'm very careful with reviews.

i do not take seriously a reviewer rating three friends 2 stars, then octopus 5 stars, then power & glory 1 star, then free hand 3 stars, then acquiring the taste 5 stars, then glass house 2 stars...

if you look at the average rating for each of these albums, then you notice they are all above 4 stars! So, a reliable reviewer (like me) would rate ALL of them 4-5 stars, unless he REALLY does not like the band's style. if you really like their stuff, then you will rate them near 5 stars for most of their albums, because GG is a band of renown.

This is a horrible argument.  Gentle Giant is not "entitled" to 4 and 5 star ratings; nobody is.   I rated Power and the Glory 2 stars, and Three Friends 3 stars.   I'm pretty sure I rated Glass House and Octopus 5 stars.  And yeah, I REALLY like Gentle Giant. 

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 14:08
Originally posted by Legoman Legoman wrote:

And about Gentle Giant.  I understand where you are coming from when you say that they are better than just number 18 for their first top 100 album.  Personally I don't even see Octopus as being their best album, either.  I love Free Hand and Three Friends much more but just remember... you got into Genesis and Yes probably very easily where-as with Gentle Giant one needs to toy around a little more with in order to truely start Aquiring the Taste

As I said, Gentle Giant are the fourth favourite PA band, as in my recent chart. I think the reason why their highest album is only number 18 is that their fans don't agree which are their best albums. You have said yourself that Octopus is not their best. They do have high ratings but they're spread over a number of albums.
Marc Baum View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 08:52

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

[QUOTE=Legoman]
And about Gentle Giant.  I understand where you are coming from when you say that they are better than just number 18 for their first top 100 album.  Personally I don't even see Octopus as being their best album, either.  I love Free Hand and Three Friends much more but just remember... you got into Genesis and Yes probably very easily where-as with Gentle Giant one needs to toy around a little more with in order to truely start Aquiring the Taste

As I said, Gentle Giant are the fourth favourite PA band, as in my recent chart. I think the reason why their highest album is only number 18 is that their fans don't agree which are their best albums. You have said yourself that Octopus is not their best. They do have high ratings but they're spread over a number of albums.
[/QUOT

They were simply the most consistant band. Ok, Genesis had at least four masterpieces, but Gentle Giant had a string of equal brilliant records from "Aquiring The Taste" 'til "Free Hand". That were six albums, any band to top that?

"All you need to do is sit back, and acquire the taste." - GENTLE GIANT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12