Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Petrucci VS. Michael Romeo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Poll Question: Who is the better guitarist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
70 [56.91%]
53 [43.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 12:54
Originally posted by W.Chuck W.Chuck wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I have a friend that would disagree with you on that from his personall experience of trying to play them.

Well, what Michael Romeo soli did he play?
The point that Michael Romeo's stuff is harder to play is my opinion and the opinion of other people I know.

I dont know, hes got all the albums so has probably spent some time the last year and a half trying to play all of them.

And anyway, he dosnt think theres a hell of a lot of difference between the abilaties of Romeo and Petrucci

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Xymphony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 13:17
Romeo is a better composer in my opinion. And i like his playing better than Petrucci...
TheLamb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 13:38
Petrucci just sounds alot better though, If you ignore composing and all those things that dont matter as much.... Petrucci just SOUNDS better. I like his composing better aswel but thats arguable...
W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 13:57
MJR sounds also great and its a question of taste. There's not such a big distance to petrucci so it's extremly unimportant...

AtLossForWords View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 21:28

Petrucci is often just about speed, listen to the solo of Panic Attack...where he tries to play a classical solo,
although he has lots of good soli and he is a real good player. Michael Romeo is a far better composer. His soli perfectly fit into the song, everytime and Michael Romeo has a better feeling and just makes immortal soli, with a nice atmosphere and melody. And who thinks John Petrucci is faster, let me tell you that Michael Romeos soli are harder to play than any fast solo by petrucci...

I couldn't disagree more!  Petrucci is the most controlled speed guitarist there will ever be.  Just look at Scenes From a Memory.  Solos like Fatal Tragedy are lightning speed with excellent string skipping, and then there is a solo like The Spirit Carries On, a controlled well phrashed solo that shows a great sense of musical harmony.  The same goes for Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, songs like the Glass Prison and The Test That Stumpted Them All are speed freak precision, and then a song like Goodnight Kiss or Solitary Shell shows musicality and control.  Mike Romeo is also the more neo-classical player.  Most of Romeo's solos are built around fugue motifs.

Note: Just because Mike Romeo does more string skipping does not mean Petrucci rarely string skips, nor does it justify that Romeo's solos are not as dirty as they sound.  You can't argue that solos are Smoke and Mirrors and Sea of Lies are filthy solos.

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."
Xymphony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 22:21
What are you saying man! Romeo's solos are almost perfectly clean, and he seems to be faster than Petrucci.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 22:33

Petrucci- because He has more musical range than Romeo- (LTE for example)

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 00:37
This poll isn't to be confused with The Mirror vs. Lacrymosa, I hope. I'll take Petrucci for numerous reasons, though I do enjoy Romeo as well.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 01:15
I think Romeo plays  the better Axe, its close  but Romeo  is so fast and always  plays with so much feel
Spaxx View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 01:42

I dunno, they're both great guitar players, you can't deny that.  But if I had to choose, it would have to be Petrucci.  In terms of guitar tone, I think that Petrucci has Romeo beat IMO.  Then again, this doesn't surprise me, doesn't Michael use solid state amplifiers (Line6 I believe)?  Petrucci has that smooth/fat/liquidy sound that I just love to hear in a lead guitar tone.  Romeo has a pretty good tone too.... considering he is using a solid state amp (or is he using valve amps now?  I can't remember).  It just isn't as smooth and fat as Petrucci's tone, IMO.

Their styles are different in a lot of ways; they both utilize different techniques to achieve their sounds.  Petrucci does a lot of alternate picking (he damn near picks everything when he plays as fast as he does) while Romeo does a lot of sweeping and tapping.  Tapping is a huge part of Romeo's lead guitar style, as is the alternate picking for Petrucci  (I'm not saying that this is all they do, of course Petrucci sweeps and taps and Romeo alternate picks a lot of lines).  In terms of speed, they are both extremely fast.  Faster than most guitar players actually (you could say that Michael Angelo Batio, Rusty Cooley, and Francesco Farari are faster, which they probably are, but they aren't as melodic as Petrucci and Romeo).

I'm gonna have to go with Petrucci on this one.

Xymphony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 02:38
Well said, i agree most of what you said. But one thing to add, Romeo is obviously faster than Petrucci... You can see his real speed in live performances ;)  Don't get me wrong, speed is only one thing. Petrucci has also got several + 's
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 02:59

Originally posted by AtLossForWords AtLossForWords wrote:

Petrucci is better than Romeo by a product of 1000.  Petrucci has had better tone and more diverse tone throughout his career.  The compositions by Petrucci and Dream Theater are far more intricate, complex, and variant than those by Romeo and Symphony X.  Petrucci's playing is much cleaner than Romeo's.  Petrucci's guitar articulates every note cleary, Romeo has a certain slop to his playing that i don't particularly like or think of as musical.

Well said !

Pafnutij View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 03:22
Originally posted by TheLamb TheLamb wrote:

-Petrucci recently cut all of his hair off

All of it? How will we be able to tell him and Rudess apart?

Edited by Pafnutij
Dark Lucidity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 05:32

got to be Michael Romeo

Those who think that his stuff is the same on every album haven't listened enough.

Originally posted by Yngvai X Yngvai X wrote:

Romeo is better than Petrucci at being in Symphony X and Petrucci is better than Romeo at being in Dream Theater.

End of discussion.

ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 09:45
JOHN PETRUCCI IS TO SAY THE LEAST INCREDIBLE!
W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 11:02

Edited by W.Chuck

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 11:04
In what way does petrucci loose controle?
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 11:06

Edited by W.Chuck

Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 11:06

I voted for Romeo.  Both guitarists are awesome, it just comes down to taste for me and I prefer

Romeo.

W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 11:07

Originally posted by AtLossForWords AtLossForWords wrote:

I couldn't disagree more!  Petrucci is the most controlled speed guitarist there will ever be.  Just look at Scenes From a Memory.  Solos like Fatal Tragedy are lightning speed with excellent string skipping, and then there is a solo like The Spirit Carries On, a controlled well phrashed solo that shows a great sense of musical harmony.  The same goes for Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, songs like the Glass Prison and The Test That Stumpted Them All are speed freak precision, and then a song like Goodnight Kiss or Solitary Shell shows musicality and control.  Mike Romeo is also the more neo-classical player.  Most of Romeo's solos are built around fugue motifs.

Note: Just because Mike Romeo does more string skipping does not mean Petrucci rarely string skips, nor does it justify that Romeo's solos are not as dirty as they sound.  You can't argue that solos are Smoke and Mirrors and Sea of Lies are filthy solos.

Lol, of course Petrucci make good sounding soli but sometimes he really loses control about his soli and is just to fast, MJR however has more control in my opinion and composes much better soli.
And what I meant with the string skipping...
When you change from the 6th to the 1st string and so on it's not as easy to have a perfectly clean sound, but MJR masters it really well.
And Michael Romeo often uses classical scales but is a more diverse player than a lot of guys here think...

Originally posted by Dark Lucidity Dark Lucidity wrote:

got to be Michael Romeo

Those who think that his stuff is the same on every album haven't listened enough.[:)

Right, Michael Romeos soli have a lot of potential you will hear by listening to them really often![/QUOTE]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>