FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNine Inch Nails prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 15:01
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

I don't see anything progressive (or metal) about NIN or industrial music in general. The addition of industrial wouldn't really benefit the site, in my opinion...

when you say industrial are you referring to stuff like NiN, Skinny Puppy, etc.? all that dance-oriented music grew out of very experimental music from the end of the seventies.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 15:03

Error. Duplicated post. Embarrassed

Edited by The T - April 17 2008 at 15:04
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 15:13
Originally posted by Squonkman Squonkman wrote:

certainly I would think they would find a home somewhere among the 372 prog metal categories here. Maybe they aren't "black" or "death" enough. If they throw in a few more Satan references in their next release, they'll have a groundswell of support from the black shirt wearing crowd.

by the way, Oh Mighty Anti-Satan Crusader, let me tell you something:

- there are only THREE (count with your fingers if you can't with your head) categories of prog metal in PA. All of them have their boundaries easy to recognize and accepted by the owners. If you don't like that, create your own Squonkmanprog.com....

- This is NO black or death metal website. There are bands that play black or death metal that it's also PROGRESSIVE so they are included here.

- I wear black shirts so I guess I belong to the crowd... but I don's support NIN here... what shirts do you wear? According to your superior way of thinking, a person is what it wears, isn;t it? So, what do you wear?

Sorry to anybody else.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 15:18
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

certainly I would think they would find a home somewhere among the 372 prog metal categories here. Maybe they aren't "black" or "death" enough. If they throw in a few more Satan references in their next release, they'll have a groundswell of support from the black shirt wearing crowd.

It's funny how it's usually the "metal is satan's music" people who act the most stupidly..... it turns out that most metallers here in PA are among the calmer members....

By the way, maybe you're a little ignorant, black metal is nihilistic and, yes, satanic in a way. Which doesn't mean people that listen to it go and kill their families. It's just an element of the music, of the lyrics. As much as death was originally an element of death metal. But it's a whole thing. You can't just throw satan in the mix and you have metal.... throw metal music and you have metal..

EDIT: And, by the way, to comment about the thread and not about that little nonsense post, NIN I think is not prog metal at all... It's just industrial; rock with some elements of other genres.. may be creative, I don't like it but it may be better than I think.. but it's not prog.

If you (you Squonkman) think that everyhting that doesn't fit into any other category can go into prog metal, well... anything devoid of character that is... maybe YOU can fit then!

Oh my God, you've also said "Steven Wilson recognizes NIN as influence"... great point.... we follow that logic and we'll have all the "satanists" here in PA, as all of them have influenced bands like Dt... or we may have Elvis, Bach, Mozart, Sinatra.....

metal is clearly what causes the marijuanaweed smoking and the listening of the jazz music and the intercourse with the white women
duh

Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 16:18
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

by the way, Oh Mighty Anti-Satan Crusader, let me tell you something:

- there are only THREE (count with your fingers if you can't with your head) categories of prog metal in PA. All of them have their boundaries easy to recognize and accepted by the owners. If you don't like that, create your own Squonkmanprog.com....

- This is NO black or death metal website. There are bands that play black or death metal that it's also PROGRESSIVE so they are included here.

- I wear black shirts so I guess I belong to the crowd... but I don's support NIN here... what shirts do you wear? According to your superior way of thinking, a person is what it wears, isn;t it? So, what do you wear?

Sorry to anybody else.

Wow. Its pretty clear you metalheads are the most defensive, "we take this stuff way too seriously and we have no sense of humor" types on here. Should I have put a little wink next to my post? Lighten up Francis(s). Do you really think that I think there are 372 prog metal categories? And where did I say all people who listen to death metal go and kill their families...LOL. How come you guys can joke about listening to symphonic prog or neo prog or Genesis or whatever music you think is "twee", but when anyone pokes a little fun at your precious death metal etc, you people throw a little hissy fit? Sheesh, you people are wound so tight you're about to blow. Relax, its just a little ribbing.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 16:27
grow up

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 16:40

We get defensive because some people(like you),who hate prog metal target us or the genre,and frankly,I had enough of it long ago.I have had hate mail because of bands I added here and one of our Collabs referred to me as the "Anti-Christ of PA".Our work is largely ignored or unreviewed,it's a pretty thankless job,and one I spend a lot of time doing(in my spare time).I take my work here seriously,and will defend it if necessary.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 17:20
Squonkman, it seems that I'm the only member of this board you haven't attacked or offended, yet.

I like Rush, Porcupine Tree, Genesis, Yes, Echolyn, PFM, Banco, Riverside, Floyd...

shoot. Wink

Apparently your days around here are numbered, so I'd get a move on if I was you.

Evil%20Smile

Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 17:31
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

We get defensive because some people(like you),who hate prog metal target us or the genre,and frankly,I had enough of it long ago.I have had hate mail because of bands I added here and one of our Collabs referred to me as the "Anti-Christ of PA".Our work is largely ignored or unreviewed,it's a pretty thankless job,and one I spend a lot of time doing(in my spare time).I take my work here seriously,and will defend it if necessary.

I thought music was supposed to be fun. Maybe if  you are taking it that seriously, its time to reassess. I see a lot of ribbing here about various prog genres, especially stuff like Neo-prog (alot of which I like), yet it appears that the slightest joke about prog metal brings out people with chains and lead pipes ready to kick some tail in the back alley. I mean, come on, have you ever sat around a bar with a bunch of guys drinking a few brews and started ribbing each other about music or movies or something? Its not the end of the frickin world. This is a discussion forum, just like a big ol tavern where people spout off about stuff. People will state their opinions on things and you might not agree with all of them. You might even get irritated at what people say. But just as in a bar, (I hope) you wouldn't try to kick someone's ass every time someone joked about your favorite music genre, or request the bar to throw him out or censor him because he didn't have the same views as you. I noticed you already locked one thread where I was asking about all these metal genres for some reason.

And I never said I hate prog metal. I think a lot of this stuff isn't necessarily prog, and that is my opinion and I will freely state it anytime I feel like it. Sorry if I don't conform to your views but maybe people need to relax and be a little less tensed up and ready to jump down someone's throat at the slightest hint of a diss or a ribbing. You are certainly allowed to defend it, and I am certainly allowed to criticize it or god forbid, joke about it.  Sometimes to make a point, I use overstatement or hyperbole. I mean sheesh, I didn't question your manhood or something. Giving me your military resume was a little over doing it wasn't it? If we were in a bar, I might joke about your black shirt, but then buy you a beer. No harm no foul.
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 17:32
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Apparently your days around here are numbered, so I'd get a move on if I was you.

Evil%20Smile

and why is that?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 17:34
Well, I never get bent if someone I think should be here is rejected.  In fact, I'll go and listen to stuff like that other non-prog stuff just to spite y'all...  Every now and then.

But seriously, if Reznor puts out some more stuff in the direction of Ghosts, y'all (why am I using y'all so much? I guess because I'm from the south or something) may want to reconsider.  I say again, check it out, free download of Ghosts I, nine tracks.  Plus he's got a lot of Adrian Belew on this one...

Oh, and by the way, don't cheese off the prog metal guys, I hear they carry knives and know how to use them. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 17 2008 at 17:38
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 17:41

Evil%20Smile

and why is that?

Ah, I get it now. You are completely oblivious to everyone else on the forum.

Explains much.

Anyway, ignore my half-assed heads up.

Carry on.  Wink

Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 17:46

Evil%20Smile

and why is that?

Ah, I get it now. You are completely oblivious to everyone else on the forum.

Explains much.

Anyway, ignore my half-assed heads up.

Carry on.  Wink

No I just don't understand exactly what you meant. You mean because I joked about death metal in a few posts, I will be booted off the forum?
Have my posts violated any particular rules? Or are you saying people can get kicked off just because some people don't like other people's opinions? Are my opinions too strident? Should I include more winks/smilies?
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 17:56
Read my PM please.Smile
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 18:05

Read my PM please.Smile

OK, pm read.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my wisecracks about prog metal. I myself am a big Riverside fan, so I know all of you are not Satan worshipers.  I certainly meant no permanent harm. Can I buy anyone a brew?
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 18:13

Read my PM please.Smile

OK, pm read.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my wisecracks about prog metal. I myself am a big Riverside fan, so I know all of you are not Satan worshipers.  I certainly meant no permanent harm. Can I buy anyone a brew?

Now we're talking!

A pint of Theakston's Old Peculiar please.Big%20smile
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 00:38

Read my PM please.Smile

OK, pm read.

A little bit of blood on a cup... in a desolated church if possible... with black curtains and flames and a big pentagram in the center.. I'll be wearing a black hood so you'll recognize me...Wink

Ok, apology accepted. just to clarify, I was not defending porg metal but people who like prog metal. I don't care if you joke about metal respectfully, just don't do it by implying anything about those of us who like it.

Peace on earth. And on PA.  
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 00:42

I thought music was supposed to be fun. Maybe if  you are taking it that seriously, its time to reassess. I see a lot of ribbing here about various prog genres, especially stuff like Neo-prog (alot of which I like), yet it appears that the slightest joke about prog metal brings out people with chains and lead pipes ready to kick some tail in the back alley. I mean, come on, have you ever sat around a bar with a bunch of guys drinking a few brews and started ribbing each other about music or movies or something? Its not the end of the frickin world. This is a discussion forum, just like a big ol tavern where people spout off about stuff. People will state their opinions on things and you might not agree with all of them. You might even get irritated at what people say. But just as in a bar, (I hope) you wouldn't try to kick someone's ass every time someone joked about your favorite music genre, or request the bar to throw him out or censor him because he didn't have the same views as you. I noticed you already locked one thread where I was asking about all these metal genres for some reason.

And I never said I hate prog metal. I think a lot of this stuff isn't necessarily prog, and that is my opinion and I will freely state it anytime I feel like it. Sorry if I don't conform to your views but maybe people need to relax and be a little less tensed up and ready to jump down someone's throat at the slightest hint of a diss or a ribbing. You are certainly allowed to defend it, and I am certainly allowed to criticize it or god forbid, joke about it.  Sometimes to make a point, I use overstatement or hyperbole. I mean sheesh, I didn't question your manhood or something. Giving me your military resume was a little over doing it wasn't it? If we were in a bar, I might joke about your black shirt, but then buy you a beer. No harm no foul.

lololol

wow
I'm really tired
carry on with the argument

keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 02:44
ha ha this was an interesting forum conversation LOL

Anyways, i like NIN. i have a poster of the band in my dorm. I really like the Fragile, Downward Spiral, and about half of his newest Year Zero (cool concept around the release of the album if you want to check it out, they created this massive, interactive game than spanned the globe and involve real clues like a flash drive left in a bathroom with etc etc. wikipedia it, its worth checking out)
And to clarify in regards to laplace's question, in pretty sure the industrial music they were refering to was the skinny puppy, ministry, and NIN variety of industrial. i havnt heard much industrial from the late 70's but i am checking it out as we speak.
Do i think Nine Inch Nails belongs? no. good music, wonderfully crafted, not very progressive. Reznor is an extremely talented musician who writes great music but he doesnt fit in on PA.
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 12:35
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

lololol

wow
I'm really tired
carry on with the argument

thanks for calling me an ASS AFTER I apologized already.Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>