Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg & classical - who’s into both?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: How much classical music do you listen to?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.89%]
3 [5.66%]
1 [1.89%]
7 [13.21%]
0 [0.00%]
41 [77.36%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 02:38

I'm just obsessed with music - I don't limit myself.

It's not only Classical I like, but everything from pre-Mediaeval, through Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and all the 20th Century idioms.

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 03:25
I am into both genres.
Ravel and Debussy are the progheads of classical!

BTW, i'm waiting a record from Schmidt/La tragédie de Salomé, french composer close to Ravel who inspired Tchaicovsky.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 08:21

Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

I am into both genres.

BTW, i'm waiting a record from Schmidt/La tragédie de Salomé, french composer close to Ravel who inspired Tchaicovsky.

What do you think of Messiaen - especially the Turangaglia Symphonie?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 09:02
Olivier Messian is excellent! but i don't know as well as you. Another good one to explore!
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 09:33

Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

I am into both genres.

Add to that George Gershwin, who was a great admirer of Ravel. Great Jazz-Classical fusion, in particular Rhapsody in Blue, An American in Paris and the Cuban Overture.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 09:54
That's true.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 11:37
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

It's not only Classical I like, but everything from pre-Mediaeval, through Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and all the 20th Century idioms.

Hey Cert, don't mix terms:

1. Classical is a broad term that contains, Medieval, Gothic, Renaissancentist, Baroque, Classic, Romantic and Modern
  2. Classic is a determined era that goes from 1750 to 1830 Appx.}

So the question is well done

Iván

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 12:37

Classical music is awesome, excellent in all ways, but i cant say that i love that, im not a "fan" of classical...

Tchaikovsky for me !!!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 16:56
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Hey Cert, don't mix terms:

1. Classical is a broad term that contains, Medieval, Gothic, Renaissancentist, Baroque, Classic, Romantic and Modern
  2. Classic is a determined era that goes from 1750 to 1830 Appx.}

So the question is well done

Iván

Iván

The Classical era is from 1750-1820(ish - some would say 1825, and who am I to argue?).

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=The+classical+era &meta=

The term "Classical" is very commonly but incorrectly applied to virtually all orchestral and much acoustically instrumented music.

My favourite book on the Classical era is the very famous one by Charles Rosen, if you'd like some enlightenment as to the exact style of music rather than rough timelines

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp? endeca=1&isbn=0393317129

(B&N sell it for half the price that Amazon do - and it's a brilliant book!).

The term isn't "Classic" - that means an enduring piece.

HTH

Edited by Certif1ed
Deliriumist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 11:28
Aside from prog I like some of the impressionist artists such as Ravel and Debussy.
I also like romantic composers such as Schubert, Chopin, all the Russian romantics and so on.
Bach IMO is the biggest genius in music history.
Don't like the classical era very much...maybe Beethoven (but he was almost romantic).
From my tiny motherland I love the late 19th and the early 20th century choir music - it's something magical (M. Saar, C. Kreek, M. Härma etc.)

Sometimes I wish I didn't like prog more than this so called "classical" music but I can't help it - It's SO GOOD.

Edited by Deliriumist
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 17:09

Cert wrote:

Iván

The Classical era is from 1750-1820(ish - some would say 1825, and who am I to argue?).

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=The+classical+era &meta=

The term "Classical" is very commonly but incorrectly applied to virtually all orchestral and much acoustically instrumented music.

My favourite book on the Classical era is the very famous one by Charles Rosen, if you'd like some enlightenment as to the exact style of music rather than rough timelines

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp? endeca=1&isbn=0393317129

(B&N sell it for half the price that Amazon do - and it's a brilliant book!).

The term isn't "Classic" - that means an enduring piece.

HTH

Not so sure, read the Classical Music Pages (I place the link at the bottom of the quote:

The Musical Epochs

Here are the major musical epochs and some of their most important composers.

Middle Ages
Renaissance (1400-1600)
Baroque (1600-1750)

Early Baroque

Late Baroque
Classic (1750-1825)
Romantic (1825-1900)
Modern (1900-1945)
Since 1945

http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/classmus.html 

BTW: It's for free

My music teacher always made clear difference between Classical Music as all the eras and Clssic music from 1750 to 1820, 25 or 30 (Not precise ending date, I'll give you that one).

Many people (even experts) don't discriminate between Classical Music (As a broad term) and Classical era, so in the worst scenario the word Classical can be used to describe, both the period from Middle Ages to XXIst Century and the years between 1750 and 1820 - 1830.

I believe this approach is wrong.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 17:26

Ivan

I have had many music teachers, professors, etc.

As you probably know, my handle comes from the fact that I have qualifications up to my eyeballs - ie Certified, with the pun on being mad about music. I have studied music in considerable depth for my whole life - in academic institutions and in real life.

I don't know about "Classical Music Pages", but I do know about the New Grove Encyclopedia (the reference for all serious musicians) - and also that Charles Rosen is one of THE most respected authorities on Classical music (1750-1825ish) in the world.

The term "Classical" is bandied about incorrectly by academics and non academics alike, but the term "Classic" is almost never used by academics to describe the period in music - at least, not in the limited spheres I have travelled.

All experts I've ever met (and I have met a few...) agree with what I'm saying here.

And to round it off, when you're talking about architecture, painting, literature or sculpture, you also refer to it in terms of periods with the same names (but differing dates), and Classical is always Classical, not Classic.

I guess it doesn't matter - but you picked me up on the term, and I believe that your music teacher was wrong.

I'm saying that from the very rare position of "showing my stripes": I too am a music teacher.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 17:55

Cert: The last thing I would want to do with you is to argue about this word, but it's obvious that the word Classical is also used to describe all the lets say Orchestral music since Medieval age up to today.

BTW, my music teacher also taught in the Conservatory and the National Symphonic Orchestra even when he was born in London.

You can check, there's even a Classical Web Ring http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=classicalring  that includes artists from all eras.

You can also visist the Classical Net http://www.classical.net/music/rep/top.html , which includes:

Chant Manuscript Busnois Mass Simpson Division Viol
Medieval
(before 1450)
Renaissance
(1450-1600)
Baroque
(1600-1750)
Mozart Cadenza Mendelssohn Piece Berg's Lyric Suite Stockhausen Kantate
Classicism
(1750-1820)
Romanticism
(1810-1910)
20th century
(1900-present)
Modern
(1945-present)

They rather use the term Clasisicism rather than Classic or Classical, even when in the articles inside the site they use the term Classical Music to describe all eras and Classical Period to describe only what I refer as Classic era.

I'm not a teacher of music, nor I have your credentials in music (Which I respect very much),  but I guide myself from what I learned in 5 years of piano and Music elective subjects in the University.

And from what I read, the term is often used to describe both meanings.

The Classical Music Pages which I quote are part of The Classical Music Web Ring which is supported by such entities as The Vienna Symphony Orchestra, and includes such composers as Bach (Baroque) Beethoven (Classic or Classical), Brahms (Romantic), Elgar (Modern). etc.

I believe all this guys have at least the same credentials as you, and they don't make a problem with including Baroque, Modern, Romantic, Medieval, etc into a whole genre denominated Classical Music.

The advantage in Spanish is that we used the Word Clasica to describe Classicism and the expression Musica Selecta to refer to all eras, still many opeople often misuse terms.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 03:53

That doesn't make it any less incorrect, Ivan.

The period is the Classical period, and Classicism refers to the movement - I don't see anything referring to Classic in your links...

Most people refer to orchestral or non-folk acoustic music as classical, and I'm not saying they're wrong to, because it's common use. I'm just saying that this common use is incorrect, which is true.

I wouldn't trust a web ring - but I would trust what the Royal Academy of Music, the Guildhall and Oxford University teach, The New Grove, and Charles Rosen.

Maybe things are different in Peru to the U.K...

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 10:59

Cert:

I agree with you, if only because this approach is the way I have come to understand the musical time periods. "Classic" is the time period, but no one I've ever known (in my limited experience) refers to that.

I guess anyone could argue about this, but what's the point? I'd rather try and put Mozart to shame with my virtuosity.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 12:22

I like 'em both.

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 21:47
Some classical music is interesting, but I never listen to it...
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 22:15

OK Cert, I won't argue with someone who is my friend and knows more than me about a determined subject, but you say:

The period is the Classical period, and Classicism refers to the movement - I don't see anything referring to Classic in your links...

Not to argue with you, but The Classical Music Pages, member of the Classical Web Ring and supported by the Vienna Symphony Orchestra says:

Classic (1750-1825)

Even when I know you would never believe I change a quote, I give you the link http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/classmus.html 

There's some more:

Musical Epochs

The Classic

Term which, with its related forms such as 'classic' and 'classicism', has been applied to a variety of music from different cultures and is taken to mean any that does not belong to folk or popular traditions; it is also applied to any collection of music regarded as a model of excellence or formal discipline. But its chief application is to the Viennese Classical idiom which flourished in the late 18th century and the early 19th, above all in the hands of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven.

http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/g_epoch_classic.html

It's clear according to the last text quoted that Classic is the period between the middle 1700's and the early 1800's and the word CLASSICAL referrs to the whole genre that goes for 10 Centuries.

I diidn't invented the quote, you know me and I usually argue if I have support for my claims,I believe it's correct , but if it's wrong, well, it's a mistake even made by the experts, which include my music teacher (With strong credentials) and the page with stronger credentials.

I still believe (and I'm supported with wrutten material you can check) that the term CLASSICAL is widely used in reference to all select music from the Middle Ages to the date and CLASSIC is refered to the music betweem 1750 and the early 1800's.

But again this is a Bizantine discussion and I won't ruin a virtual friendship for the use done of a term in different countries.

You say tomato I say tomate, you say Classical era I say Classic era 

Iván

BTW: Cert, just checled my old texts in Spanish (if it helps you), they use the same term with a different expression:

EPOCA CLASICA: Classic Epoch, they even mention 1750 to 1830.

MÚSICA CLASICA: ALL the orchestral music from the midddle Ages to the 70's (When I studied music) .

The same word is used with the two meanings.

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Cert:

I agree with you, if only because this approach is the way I have come to understand the musical time periods. "Classic" is the time period, but no one I've ever known (in my limited experience) refers to that.

Hey Stonebeard, you're agreing with me LOL. I say it's Classic era as a period that starts in 1750 and ends between 1810 and 1830, and Classical Music as a whole entity that comprehends from Middle Ages to ythe XXIst Century).

I guess anyone could argue about this, but what's the point? I'd rather try and put Mozart to shame with my virtuosity.

I agree with that

Edited by ivan_2068

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2005 at 21:18
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Cert:

Hey Stonebeard, you're agreing with me LOL. I say it's Classic era as a period that starts in 1750 and ends between 1810 and 1830, and Classical Music as a whole entity that comprehends from Middle Ages to ythe XXIst Century).

I agree with that

Haha!!

Then that make me even more confused. I thought I was agreeing with Cert!!! Oh well, I need to take a nap!

And I'm glad we agree on MY virtuosity, at least.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2005 at 22:47
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Haha!!

Then that make me even more confused. I thought I was agreeing with Cert!!! Oh well, I need to take a nap!

And I'm glad we agree on MY virtuosity, at least.

Well hope you won't believe me, I'm a lawyer

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>