Topic ClosedRush 70s? 80s? 90s? No one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 13:57
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

Please someone point me at a decent album of theirs. Is it Hemiphere's?...Moving Pictures?, etc.... I have always disliked them ALOT but after seeing so much love for these guys I am wondering if I have been too closed minded!!!!

Rush are one of those bands, that for some people can never be taken seriously. By some of their fans they are taken too seriously They are a 'cult band' which, of course means they have a large devoted following, but at the same time no one has heard of them.

I know people who have said they can never take to Rush, because of Geddy Lees voice, even now that it has at last broken! A true Rush fan likes his voice, and doesn't just tolerate it. Like any band they are not for everyone.

You've been given some good advice here about what Rush is a good starting point. I would like to reinforce the endorsement of 'Hemispheres' and 'Moving Pictures' in particular, but also try 'Permenant waves'

This cult band thing is a bit overplayed, they have sold just under 40 million albums worldwide.

For me I will always love them,they will always be my favourite band. For a prog enthusiast I would always suggest A Farewell To Kings as a starter.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 18:01
I didn't care much for the 90s stuff, or much of the 80s stuff, but the new one for some reason I like what I've heard, although it seems very different from anything they've done before.
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 18:49
When I first heard rush I was like "sick geddy lee is a wikid bass player, but his voice is (as we would say cuz it was like 3 years ago and I was a little prick then) ""Gay""."

But back then I never even knew what prog was. I used to listen to disgusting Sum 41, Green Day, OLP (which mind you, they're old stuff is still liked by me, but not enough to pull out my old cds...yet...)

Then after a while I started getting more interested in playing my bass, which I was in one of those on and off stages in playing it.

So, I saw a rush album (test for echo) which was on for 2 bucks at a flea market. And surely enough, I liked it, as they were more rock at the time, and geddy's voice had improved. so i listened to that for a while and gradually got into their earlier proggier stuff, and found out that it was actually called prog. And then I started to like geddy's voice alot. And all this led me to get into other prog bands and gradually make me into a proghead, and a "technical" bass player.

Therefore, I love geddy's voice now. And rush are my favorite band.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 06:48
what's OLP?
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 12:12
Overrated,Lacklustre and Past It?

zappa123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 17:34

For me they are just ordinary hard rock band.I respect them but that is about it.

Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 18:51
OLP is Our Lady Peace...
JrKASperov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 19:29
Originally posted by zappa123 zappa123 wrote:

For me they are just ordinary hard rock band.I respect them but that is about it.

Then you'd be ignoring the fact that Rush has more moodchanges and more intricate compositions than dream theater! La Villa Striangato anyone? Xanadu? Definately prog! I'm not saying these songs are the standard to judge them by, these are just two examples. Hard Rock is far more static than Rush.

Epic.
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 22:58
Dream Theater? Shiit...there'd be no DT w/o Rush. Something for some of y'all to chew on.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 07:29

Originally posted by dropForge dropForge wrote:

Dream Theater? Shiit...there'd be no DT w/o Rush. Something for some of y'all to chew on.

In that case I blame Rush for Dream Theater existing

zappa123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2004 at 10:32
Originally posted by JrKASperov JrKASperov wrote:

Originally posted by zappa123 zappa123 wrote:

Then you'd be ignoring the fact that Rush has more moodchanges and more intricate compositions than dream theater! La Villa Striangato anyone? Xanadu? Definately prog! I'm not saying these songs are the standard to judge them by, these are just two examples. Hard Rock is far more static than Rush.

I don't like Dream Theater too.I know that on times Rush were progressive(at least a lot of guys here are telling so).So it's probably true.But I really can't find that much progressiveness(I hope that is a correct word)in their work.I think they have a lot in common with hard rock with some prog parts ocassionaly but that don't makes them a prog giants.Don't hang me---I know here is a lot Rush lovers.I'm not saying they're a bad group.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2004 at 11:04
I think DT owes a bit more to Iron Maiden (and the bands before and after along that line) than Rush. Rush (in any period, for better or worse) had a more unique sound, rarely comparable to anyone else, whereas some of the less memorable Dream Thater passages could be from any number of prog-metal bands.
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2004 at 21:16

I agree, Rush is a much more unique-soundin' group than DT. However, the three principal components of the blueprint for DT's sound = Rush, Kansas, and Iron Maiden.

Quote In that case I blame Rush for Dream Theater existing

See above!

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 08:25

Although I haven't heard all the DT albums, I cant see that they have that much in common with Rush.

Their last DT album 'Train of thought' which is the only one I bothered to buy, as it was in the bargain bin a few weeks after its release, sounded more like Metallica on Prozac. I didn't dislike it, but I'd heard it all before. There was nothing remarkable there. Predictable, solid competant death metal drumming, crunching guitar riffs, James Hetfield style vocal harmonies, with a few wierd noises, fancy artwork and some long songs. They were clearly trying to retain some prog credibility. 

Sorry, I digress. DT, to me dont sound like Rush, and Rush dont sound like anyone. Apart from on their first two albums where they sounded like Led Zep on helium and speed.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 21:45

To hear the Rush influence, go back to DT's FIRST two albums, When Dream and Day Unite and Images and Words.

Train Of Thought, which I don't care for, is, yes, influenced by the sound of Metallica and other "heavy" groups. They listened to Master Of Puppets and something else (I forget what) before turning to record ToT.

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 10:14

I agree with Cesar Inca on this one '77 (Farewell to Kings) through to '81 (Moving Pictures) has to be my favourite period. Just the right balance between guitars and synths and the writing seemed to have hit a peak during this time too.

I don't mind the 80's era too much (Signals and Power Windows are perfectly acceptable Rush albums as far as I'm concerned). I lots some focus on rush in the 90's but Presto is quite a funky slice of prog if I remember correctly.

As for the early seventies, only Fly By Night does anything for me.

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 23:00
Now, that's strange, since FBN came out in the mid-seventies.
Kevbo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 09:35

I prefer the time from 2112 to Signals, that was Rush's prime in my opinion. I do love every album they've ever released with the exception of Power Windows, which is good, but i've never been able to really get into it. But if you were going by decades, I suppose i'd choose the 70's as their best. 2112, A Farewell To Kings, and the underrated Caress Of Steel, all superb albums.

Gaston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 15:17

The futuristic trio of 2112, Farewell, and Hemisperes dwarves ALL of their other stuff. You have 10 minute songs, crazy stellar effects, thematic story line - everything you could muster from the 70s tech was there.

In the 80s they still remained the top prog band, IMO, which is absolutely incredible and amazing and I'm so proud of them for not diverging (it's the technology of synth that killed the 80s, I don't care what anyone says) from that core 70s sound. Pictures, Grace, Signals, Windows - they're all really really good for prog because everyone else had jumped shark by then but not them. And still the themes stayed on with each album, but not so epic-like. Their environmentalism, political interest, deep thoughts (well, Neils, at least) and other things just sum up Rush for me to a tee.

So Vapour Trails wasn't as good as the others. They're gettin old I suppose. But Test was INCREDIBLE! It's just as good as Grace or the early stuff like Carress so I don't think the 90s ruined them at all. As for stage sound, I saw them in 2002 in Toronto and they loved the energy in their home country and that's almost what Rush completes for me. I put them in this Nationalist category with bands like The Tragically Hip and others that sum up my Canuckness quite nicely. And that's a complement for them too because Canada is such an amazing country. They're the best Canadian band - what else is there?

It's the same guy. Great minds think alike.
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 15:23
Vapor Trails is far better then anything since Signals. I reckon it is the muddy sound that reduces it's appeal.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>