Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHere I am!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 13:34
yeah octa is cool but DT tried to copy floyd with the intro part...at least thats what i think...still its a great epic.i like medicate and the part where labrie growls. thats something you dont hear everyday from DT
with a smile of a happy idiot
Octamarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 13:42

Originally posted by why not why not wrote:

yeah octa is cool but DT tried to copy floyd with the intro part...at least thats what i think...still its a great epic.i like medicate and the part where labrie growls. thats something you dont hear everyday from DT

Well...if you read well the lyrics, you'll find that Octavarium is an homage to their influences...so the intro part is well inserted into this concept!Infact medicate also is influenced by Genesis, then you can hear influence by Emerson lake & palmer and so on!The "growl" part (I think it's more a screaming than a growl) is well done....but what really hits me hard in this song is the final part with the orchestra!!!!Mike is a damn genius!!!

Have you ever listened Pain of salvation?

Look in the mirror...my friend!
why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 13:57
yeah i istened to pain of salvation,but though i like metal im not rally into prog metal except DT and ayreon. all of the other bands are cool and i really enjoy them they DT is just better so its allways a pity to find something that is considered to be great but to me it usually is as good as i expected. im more into symphonic prog.. im a fan of floyd and crimson  ... and yeah...octavarium is sorta a tribute and even though i think they try to copy floyd still it is one of the greatest song intros ever written... and despite the opinions of many people i really like falling to infinity... it is popy but whatever...MIKE IS A GENIOUS!!!! and a great drummer... my fav...i dont try to copy him cuz that would be stupid but hes the best... though i value more his ability to compose music than play it
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:42

Try to listen with more (much more) attention POS....I'm sure you will fall in love with them!!They're play so complex music (I mean complex in all sense: lyrically, musically, emotionally) that it's hard to enter in their world...but if you'll find the way....you'll never leave them out of your player!!!I recommend (to start trying) Remedy lane, or Entropia....then the others!!Try again...and let me know!!!

why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 16:04
ive hesrd remedy lane and i really enjoy it till the the half of the album...then it becomes boring...but ill try more what do you think of ayreon? i think labires vocals on human equation are great...totally emotional, it seems that he truly understands what is he singing and he gives all of him for that...the result is  more than kick***
Anguiad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2006 at 02:12

HI THERE!! I'm also a DT fan! Woohooo!!

I'm  new to prog, thanks also to DT. They are simply great in all senses, not just a band that only for being highly skilled stay at the top, they are also excellent composers and lyricisists(does that word exist??)Besides, as a band, DT works quite well since they all collaborate in the songs, musically.

My first DT albums were ACOS and Falling into infinity. Maybe that is the reason Falling... isn't a problem with me, most fans despise it, yet I think it is crucial, the one and only piece of mind from keyboardist Derek Sherinian! Although he also plays in ACOS, he did not help in writing so that does not count.

My favorites are IAW and Metropolis 2, being the last one truly a masterpiece. This album was my first real experience of a concept album( I knew PF's Dark Side though I wasn't in too deep). I was overblown. With my first two albums I thought: "Okay, this bands's great, their drummer and guitarrist rocks, but the vocal is just OK." After Metropolis (and most of all IAW) I thought again, now LaBrie is my favorite member of DT and one of the BEST singers I've ever heard. His voice is prodigious, it hasn't deteriorated, even in the concerts he performs greatly!

About Octavarium, I enjoyed the album. Many fans overlook it, still don't know why, perhaps for Octavarium, the song? I don't know.Yes I think it's kind of a tribute!!(light my fire-The Doors!!) I also prefer Octa over Seasons, it has more tempo changes and the concept is true, or what I understood. What do you understand about the whole Octavarium lyrics? Have you noticed that The Root Of All Evil is indeed the secuel to Octavarium?(says VI: Ready and VII: Remove) Maybe its is also a STar Wars TRibute?! Just kiddin. I dunno about this , still confused.

I think many people is against DT because of their sudden appearance and their extraordinary success. Prog fans are conservative and skeptical about nowadays prog, mainly. A veteran prog who lived through the first prog wave from the seventies might be angry at them because of them being great and actual. What they really should analyze is that prog is all about experimentation and of keeping your mind open, so instead of aiming their guns at new prog they should welcome it with their arms wide open. Just a thought.

Geez, I think I wrote too much...I was excited, sorry

"Tis your birth and faith that wrong you...not I."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2006 at 04:38
Originally posted by Anguiad Anguiad wrote:

. What do you understand about the whole Octavarium lyrics? Have you noticed that The Root Of All Evil is indeed the secuel to Octavarium?(says VI: Ready and VII: Remove) Maybe its is also a STar Wars TRibute?! Just kiddin. I dunno about this , still confused.

Well.....welcome to the machine broth!!!

I have to say that Root of all evil is not the sequel of Octavarium, but the third part of Mike's trilogy about his experiences with alchoolism!The trilogy started with The glass prison (6 degrees) and continued with This dying soul (Train of thought)....The root of is the last chapter!!!

If Octavarium (the song) was a tribute to Star wars, it could have nine parts...so it should call Nonavarium

why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2006 at 15:42

nice to see more DT fans... yeah somehow old prog fans are really sceptic about new music...and that really is weird cuz the whole prog is kinda like finding something new...i cant explain myself due to poor knowledge of english  you should like the way prog music progresses as much as you like any epic song that progresses...whatever,you probably already think that im an idiot gotta get some extra english lessons...and if talking about sex degrees... the only album i dislike more than this is when  dream and day unite...disc2(six degrees song...)is cool with some exceptions but thfirst disc is foooo thats my opinion...dont even know if you care

why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2006 at 15:44
yeah light my fire - doors and i suppose gabba gabba is the ramones...
why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 13:41
hey octamarium, you asked to let you know whatever i feel after listening to remedy lane....i must confess i really started to like POS..i listened to them few more times very attentively and yeah...its really great...i really enjoy the song rope ends...damn its good
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 13:57
rock you like a hurricane!!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 13:58
i like your nickname
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 05:21

Originally posted by why not why not wrote:

hey octamarium, you asked to let you know whatever i feel after listening to remedy lane....i must confess i really started to like POS..i listened to them few more times very attentively and yeah...its really great...i really enjoy the song rope ends...damn its good

I was sure of that result!Remedy lane is one of the most amazing album I've ever listened!!There's a passion in it that it's difficult to find in other bands!!I love Ending theme, Rope ends, Second love, This heart of mine....but I think POS' albums are better listened (and commented) in their interity, and not song-by-song!!!

why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 08:56
yeah the whole album creates a certain atmosphere...ir really IS different when you listen to one or two tracks apart from the whole album...i cant stop singing ending theme today it really is deep in my mind
Anguiad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 00:45

oh! i did not know about that mike stuff!! sorry!

"Tis your birth and faith that wrong you...not I."
why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 11:15
what mike stuff?
why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 11:17
oh sorry     good thing he has given up drinking. it would be a pity to loose a musician of such talent
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 13:06
Yeah...surely a pity!!!
why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 13:08
he also had a drug problem right?