Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSting - "Sacred Love" tour, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sting - "Sacred Love" tour, 2004
    Posted: September 15 2004 at 01:40

I know he isn't exactly "prog" or anything, but I just felt like I could share this experience with you. I had the opportunity to attend to the first one out of the two concerts Sting performed at Mexico City during this "Sacred Love" tour, last September 13th and let me tell you, it was absolutely amazing. The first time I saw Sting live, was back then in 2001 over this cold night of January 31st. The show he performed before 10, 000 people was good alright, having as musical guests Cheb Mami (vocals on "Desert Rose") and Mino Cinelu on percussion. But this time, Sting surpassed himself on the production and instrumentation. Here's the story...

20:15 - A lonely stage light reveals the presence of talented guitar player, Dominic Miller ("Mercury Falling", "Brand New Day" and "Sacred Love" with Sting and colaborated in the realization of Rick Wright's "Broken China" along Tim Renwick), who slowly approaches to a stool set in the middle of the stage and once seated, in perfect Spanish, he addresses to the eager Mexican audience. He played for over 25 minutes, giving away a magnificent, well crafted performance with his acoustic guitar. He chatted with the attendants in between each song interlude, and after three beautiful songs, he surprisingly introduces Sting (his "boss", as he told us) to the people to listen him sing the acoustic version of "Shape of my Heart". One of the most revealing moments of the night, I must say.

21:00 - After a 20 minute break, 49 years old Annie Lennox appears on stage, powerful and energizing, I actually liked her. I'm not precisely a fan or anything, she was convincing alright. The sparkling moment of the night for her happened right after the constant public demand (clapping and whistling to make her come back) she took back her position on stage and sang "Sweet Dreams". Then, after a sincere "Buenas Noches", she crawled back into the obscurities of the backstage.

22:10 - The impatience of the audience started to pay off when Gordon Matthew Sumner made his triumphal appearance on stage behind this big curtain that reflected assored images and meaningful words, and at the time the cover fell down, Sting broke the silence with a ballad from his newest material, "Send Your Love". The reaction from the people was incredible, almost fantastic, that by the time he jumped right into the next song, "Synchronicity II"; it was craziness inside "El Palacio de los Deportes" (Sports Palace). The third song made us all in there think of the best times: "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic", an all time "The Police" classic.

The show continued as proper, three spectacular plasma screens related what was happening on stage to the ones up above in the heights of the forum, the multiple images displayed by a projector in the back followed up n'sync with the beat and everything continued just perfect. Afterwards, Sting dedicated a couple of minutes to welcome us all, and after the proper protocol, he immediately jumped into "We'll be together" and Annie Lennox appeared from the dark to sing along the multitalented musician. The song was outstanding, the arrangements in order for Annie to participate were amazing and he enlarged the studio version for another couple of minutes, masterfully taken away by Domic Miller's wailing guitar.

The audience was already warmed up and ready to continue. "Fields of Gold", "Sacred Love", "Seven Days", "If I ever lose my Faith in You" and "English Man in New York" turned out to be excellent and well rewarded with the noise out of the thousands of hands put together for Sting. Later on, an acoustic version of "Fragile" (with Sting on guitar) evoked the emotiveness of the night alright. The band took their position again, letting Manu Katché catch his breath behind bongoes and tribal drums. An extended version of "Roxane" (with a peculiar reprise of "Invisible Sun" in between) sounded off powerful and enigmatic, the arrangements were simply breathtaking and the experience of the song about the girl under the red light lasted for over 10 minutes (there was a point where we were all covered in the red light blasted off by the room lights, incredible!).

After another couple of the new songs, it was all prepared for Sting to play "Desert Rose" and the revealing and meaningful song, "Every Breath you Take". The most representative hymn of "The Police" was so soulful and great, the entire audience (wheter if they could sing in English or not), gave themselves and hearts to the New Castle native up on stage. The lights shut for a moment, just to get turned back on to let Sting sing the last song of the night, "A Thousand Years". Personally, the greatest treat of the night to me. After almost two hours of show, Sting said "Muchas gracias y buenas noches" and disappered in the night. A great show indeed.

He'll continue touring Europe until next 12/09/2004 where he performs the last show to this tour in Copenhagen, Denmark. So, if you're nearby and feel like spending a great night filled of great music by a great musician, don't even hesitate. Here's the link to the tour dates: https://tickets.ultrastar.com/

And some pictures of the concert I attended to last Monday:

Regards,

Land

Edited by landberkdoten
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 10:30

Great review Land... I saw Sting here a few months ago.. and it was indeed a great show.  He did one song that you didn't mention, which actually made me break out in tears.. "When We Dance".  Its my favorite love song of all time I think.

Thanks for the pictures.!

THIS IS ELP
The Prognaut View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 14:00

Thanx three!  I wish he would've done "When We Dance" that night... it is also one of my fave romancing ballads (mostly because of the lyric to the song)...  But it was awesome alright!

Did he present any special guest musicians on stage that time in New York besides Dominic and Annie?

Edited by landberkdoten
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 10:02
No.. he didn't even have Annie at that time.  But he is coming back to the Garden next month with the tour you've just seen, with Annie.  I might go see him again.
THIS IS ELP
The Prognaut View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 01:00

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

No.. he didn't even have Annie at that time.  But he is coming back to the Garden next month with the tour you've just seen, with Annie.  I might go see him again.

Yeah, you do that   maybe you could post some pics of that concert then three!

Land

break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
 Post Reply Post Reply