Topic ClosedCat Stevens & Marillion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 17:32
Dont know what the hell you are talking about... but I sure do like things being trimmed down.Big smile

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 16:38

Oh James, I don't want you to stop debating your opinions... I just wish you guys would trim them down enough that I could read them without getting bored half way thru...

And for Christ's sake... don't leave out the humor!!

THIS IS ELP
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 14:47
Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

so why are we posting our opinions on a forum at all then?

ah, never mind. I'll get back to making my "Longest post 80s Norwegian female non-guitar prog song" poll. Then we can share some really important views.

or another top 10 list...or how about poll on the polls to see which poll was our favorite. ..or my favorites...which guitarist makes the best grrr..grr sound or keyboard ping,ping sound or drum boom,boom sound thread again...those are always quite "interesting" topics.

my applause to Pixel was his self-revelation!

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 14:36

so why are we posting our opinions on a forum at all then?

ah, never mind. I'll get back to making my "Longest post 80s Norwegian female non-guitar prog song" poll. Then we can share some really important views.

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 07:28

Originally posted by Pixel Pirate Pixel Pirate wrote:

You're right in your psychological analysis,Threefates. Being opinionated and arrogant have always been my greatest character defects and the personality traits I have struggled against all my life,obviously in vain,and I have now reached the stage where I agree with Jung when he said that reading his own words was like eating his own vomit. 

Pixel Pirate View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 06:52
You're right in your psychological analysis,Threefates. Being opinionated and arrogant have always been my greatest character defects and the personality traits I have struggled against all my life,obviously in vain,and I have now reached the stage where I agree with Jung when he said that reading his own words was like eating his own vomit. 
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 02:39
So was I....
THIS IS ELP
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 02:16
actually, I was making a point...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 01:37
You've never been to a southern baptist church evidently....
THIS IS ELP
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 01:29
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

When I was a kid, my parents were devout Southern Baptists, and we had a group of older, very opinionated men

(deacons in our church). One of them, every Sunday was assigned the ending prayer for the sermon. 

Most would go on and on.. till you could hear half the church snoring.  My mother use to say that they were the type

that just loved to hear themselves talk...

So here I think my mother would say... ya'll just love to watch yourselves type....

Now James, if you need the northern translation on that, you just let me know...

and did anyone ever bring this to their attention during church?

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 01:22
I'm just a simple minded silly goose.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 01:06

When I was a kid, my parents were devout Southern Baptists, and we had a group of older, very opinionated men

(deacons in our church). One of them, every Sunday was assigned the ending prayer for the sermon. 

Most would go on and on.. till you could hear half the church snoring.  My mother use to say that they were the type

that just loved to hear themselves talk...

So here I think my mother would say... ya'll just love to watch yourselves type....

Now James, if you need the northern translation on that, you just let me know...

Edited by threefates
THIS IS ELP
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2004 at 23:40

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Geez... God must really be proud at how smart all of you think you have become...

I'm pretty sure that I'm not smart enough to understand that comment

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2004 at 14:53
Allright,I'll shut up. I have been thinking of quitting my position as the internet's most opinionated dilletante for some time now anyway and this seems like a good time.
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2004 at 12:21
Originally posted by Pixel Pirate Pixel Pirate wrote:

As for who invented monotheism,that's the easy one. How do we know that Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb? Because no lightbulbs existed before him. How do we know the Jews invented monotheism? Because no such concept existed before Judeaism. (Let's forget about the pharaohs for now,too needlessly complicated).

As far as the case for the existance of god goes. Of course I can't deny that there might exist in the universe some force of some kind that we might,for want of a better word,call god. I'm obviously not denying that,no one can. What I am denying,completely and emphatically based on the mass of evidence at hand,is that the god of the christian bible is real. It has MYTHOLOGICAL written all over it in bright flashing neon letters.

And who had the first monotheistic society or what the neanderthals did is most certainly not speculation. What do think historians,anthropologists and archeologists do for a living? But the topic is vast and cannot possibly be contained within the confines of a discussion forum on a website so I can only point you in the direction of the following books:

"When The Gods Came Down" by Alan Alford.

"The Jesus Mysteries" by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy

"The Secrets Of The Exodus" by Messod and Roger Sabbah

"From Atlantis To The Sphinx" by Colin Wilson

And of course the religious criticisms of Nietzsche,Freud,Bertrand Russel and H.L.Mencken.

And as a counterweight,two intelligent and enlightened arguments in favour of the existance of a god:

"God's Secret Formula" by Peter Plichta

"The Infinite Harmony:Musical Structures In Science And Theology" by Michael Hayes.

This is not to come across as all snooty and intellectually snobbish,just to emphasise once again that this subject is huge and falls way outside the confines of a little discussion forum on prog rock website.

Archeologists and Anthropologists  they never speculate?Shocked

As for Colin Wilson? Alan Alford? Roger effing Sabbah!

This is some kind of wind up right?

Needless to say these "experts" should keep their speculation for the Fortean Times! To mention these people in any half-serious debate is just well......

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2004 at 11:56
Geez... God must really be proud at how smart all of you think you have become...
THIS IS ELP
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2004 at 08:02

Is there any real debate? Judaism was most definitely the first major monotheistic religion. Is someone saying otherwise? I'll beat 'em up for you

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2004 at 07:56
And the 'a' fell out there at the end. I'm always annoyed when that happens.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2004 at 07:52

As for who invented monotheism,that's the easy one. How do we know that Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb? Because no lightbulbs existed before him. How do we know the Jews invented monotheism? Because no such concept existed before Judeaism. (Let's forget about the pharaohs for now,too needlessly complicated).

As far as the case for the existance of god goes. Of course I can't deny that there might exist in the universe some force of some kind that we might,for want of a better word,call god. I'm obviously not denying that,no one can. What I am denying,completely and emphatically based on the mass of evidence at hand,is that the god of the christian bible is real. It has MYTHOLOGICAL written all over it in bright flashing neon letters.

And who had the first monotheistic society or what the neanderthals did is most certainly not speculation. What do think historians,anthropologists and archeologists do for a living? But the topic is vast and cannot possibly be contained within the confines of a discussion forum on a website so I can only point you in the direction of the following books:

"When The Gods Came Down" by Alan Alford.

"The Jesus Mysteries" by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy

"The Secrets Of The Exodus" by Messod and Roger Sabbah

"From Atlantis To The Sphinx" by Colin Wilson

And of course the religious criticisms of Nietzsche,Freud,Bertrand Russel and H.L.Mencken.

And as a counterweight,two intelligent and enlightened arguments in favour of the existance of a god:

"God's Secret Formula" by Peter Plichta

"The Infinite Harmony:Musical Structures In Science And Theology" by Michael Hayes.

This is not to come across as all snooty and intellectually snobbish,just to emphasise once again that this subject is huge and falls way outside the confines of a little discussion forum on prog rock website.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 10:33

I think I could make a better case for VC inventing god rather than vice versa...

...they're both completely fictional with a profound but twisted sense of humor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>