Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 16:55
Originally posted by Solids2k Solids2k wrote:

Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Only one question, this band was added by Solids2k, how can a newbie who has posted 31 times since he joined 6 months ago add bands???

Iván

Why are you so quick to assume that a 'newbie' to these message boards is a newbie to progressive music and should not possess the ability to contribute to this fantastic database of music? What I find as strikingly amusing is the fact that you value one's post count in such a high regard that it should influence that privilege to add bands. High post counts or registration dates should not be weights used to swing the integrity of a user's band addition to progarchives.com.

Wait a moment, I never said anything about your knowledge of Prog' but I was just curious because the rules of this site give the chance to add bands only to a determined group of members.

I was answered how it happened and that was all.

I'm unsure as to whether your post insinuates that the amendment displays an unworthy addition by a 'naive' progarchives member, but assuming it is I can only stress that I too, feel that The Dillinger Escape is amongst the few truly progressive bands nowadays in the sense that they don't dwell on prog of the past but take the growingly popular 'metal' and 'hardcore' genres of today to experimental and complex heights, all-the-while making nods to jazz-fusion and prog rock. Do not make the mistake that I do not appreciate or love progressive music of the past, because I do, but acts like The Dillinger Escape Plan is to progressive music fans like myself as King Crimson may have been to our dads. Like DEP or not, hopefully you can at the least acknowledge that.

I haven't even heard them, so I can't give muy opinion, only was asking about something specific totally unrelated with your knowledge of music and the quality of a band I never heard. 

edit: I gather that Ivan was thrown for a loop by the fact that newer users don't possess the ability to add bands and was surprised that I could. My realization essentially makes this post null.

No problem, seems the misunderstanding is clear for all of us.

Iván

moonlapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 17:04
Originally posted by Rashikal Rashikal wrote:

wow. people like royal jelly really piss me off. opeth also has screaming vocals, that doesnt mean it is only for angsty teens. im sick of metal being disregarded as a genre for troubled adolescents. dillinger escape plan is an awesome band.

Easy now...nobody here said metal was only for troubled teens.

I love Opeth and their vocals, in fact they are my favourite band, but I also find DEP's vocals totally annoying.

xjester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 20:13

Originally posted by moonlapse moonlapse wrote:

this band could be described by some as progressive metal, and i think theyre better than opeth techincally, and overall.

DEP is terrible

Amen Brother!!

I saw them live on the gigantour (Dream Theater, Megadeth, Nevermore, Symphony X) and they blew.

Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 23:08
i guess theyre bad if youre into cheesy garbage like dream theater

listen to Hella
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 23:10
Originally posted by xjester xjester wrote:

Originally posted by moonlapse moonlapse wrote:

this band could be described by some as progressive metal, and i think theyre better than opeth techincally, and overall.

DEP is terrible

Amen Brother!!

I saw them live on the gigantour (Dream Theater, Megadeth, Nevermore, Symphony X) and they blew.

Oh man... Talk about a BAD LIVE BAND!

I was at the Boston date when the guitarist flew into the drumset and broke his arm!  Its good that their tour ended there!

Anyways, I thought Megadeth was also very bad live. The whole band sucked.

Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 23:44
they have much more live energy than dream theater, 40 minutes of john petrucci staring at his strings 

DEP > DT

listen to Hella
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 23:57

they have much more live energy than dream theater, 40 minutes of john petrucci staring at his strings 

DEP > DT

I think performance quality overrules energy. John Myung is a fricking statue the entire set, but I never get bored watching him play.

DEP has a ton of followers in the hardcore scenes, and those seem to be the fans that they gear their live show towards, though they usually bring along a lot more interesting group of bands on tour with them.

www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Nyko View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 14:05
I saw Dillinger at Gigantour also... it was atrocious. I am glad they only got 30 minutes but it seemed like so much longer. They were loud, incoherent, and metalcore. I can't stand anything-core. Dream Theater was awesome, despite their lack of emotion or movement, and LaBrie actually made up for some of that (I am one of the people who likes LaBrie... most of the time.) Megadeth's instrumental aspect was good, the vocals were... Dave. Anyway, DEP was the worst band their to me, and I can't stand Fear Factory or anyone other than Nevermore, Symphony X (Who couldn't show up at my show ), DT, and MD. DEP is better in studio than live, but still bad to me in studio, as I don't like all of the shouting and "half-growling" (unlike Opeth's full deep growl) that would make me think of an angry teen, despite who they would market it toward, or who they are their fans are.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 14:07
Originally posted by Nyko Nyko wrote:

I can't stand anything-core.
How do you know they were atrocious, then?
HeirToRuin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 14:25
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

I was at the Boston date when the guitarist flew into the drumset and broke his arm!  Its good that their tour ended there!

Dillenger Escape had nothing but contempt for the audience.  The screamer (I have trouble calling him a vocalist) threw a bottle of water at the sound technicians in the back and ended up hitting the sound board.  The technicians promptly walked his ass on stage during their set and apparently bitched the guy out.  It's funny how the venue wouldn't let the fans take bottles into the arena for that very reason. 

Moreover, 30 minutes of slinging your guitar around like a gorilla is quite tired and played out.  It only serves the purpose to distract (although not very well) the audience from having to simply listen to their well-executed noise.  Any interesting parts the band played during any song was quickly ruined by more random crap and nonsensical screaming.  Telling the audience "you need to grow up and get out of your parents basements" didn't really do much to raise my opinion of them either.

I was actually looking forward to seeing them since I never bothered to listen to their studio albums.  Even Bobaflex was more interesting.

xjester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 15:23
Originally posted by HeirToRuin HeirToRuin wrote:

Dillenger Escape had nothing but contempt for the audience.  The screamer (I have trouble calling him a vocalist) threw a bottle of water at the sound technicians in the back and ended up hitting the sound board.  The technicians promptly walked his ass on stage during their set and apparently bitched the guy out.  It's funny how the venue wouldn't let the fans take bottles into the arena for that very reason. 

Moreover, 30 minutes of slinging your guitar around like a gorilla is quite tired and played out.  It only serves the purpose to distract (although not very well) the audience from having to simply listen to their well-executed noise.  Any interesting parts the band played during any song was quickly ruined by more random crap and nonsensical screaming.  Telling the audience "you need to grow up and get out of your parents basements" didn't really do much to raise my opinion of them either.

I was actually looking forward to seeing them since I never bothered to listen to their studio albums.  Even Bobaflex was more interesting.

HAHAHA! bobaflex was gay as hell!

and as for DEP, i have to agree with the statement that was made earlier.  I wouldmuch rather see people who dont move much  than see idots who can barely play their instruments jump around like morons.

Beleive it or not, the guitarist (wearing short shorts) was juping around, and hit the guy with a mic ( i guess youd call him a vocalist...) in the back of the head!!

moonlapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 21:19

Yeah it's good their tour ended there, they didn't make it to Toronto for Gigantour lol.

Dream Theater was great in the Toronto show.  As for Petrucci staring at his strings, well it's not like he's playing 3 chords.

I got there too late for Symphony X though  man I would have loved to see them live!

Edited by moonlapse
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 01:42

and as for DEP, i have to agree with the statement that was made earlier.  I wouldmuch rather see people who dont move much  than see idots who can barely play their instruments jump around like morons.

Beleive it or not, the guitarist (wearing short shorts) was juping around, and hit the guy with a mic ( i guess youd call him a vocalist...) in the back of the head!!

Now, they may jump around like morons, but they are very talented musicians.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 09:31

can barely play their instruments jump around like morons.
ha! ha! ha!
paradigm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 14:01
dep are much better than opeth
gushyguts View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 15:31
...I think I hear an Anal c**t song coming on.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 15:35
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

DEP > DT

I think performance quality overrules energy. John Myung is a fricking statue the entire set, but I never get bored watching him play.

DEP has a ton of followers in the hardcore scenes, and those seem to be the fans that they gear their live show towards, though they usually bring along a lot more interesting group of bands on tour with them.

They surely didn't belong there. They were a Hardcore band in a middle of a Metal concert.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 15:39

Yes they are, but they still suck live. I don't like my musicians to jump around and act like a bunch of monkeys.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 17:35

Yes they are, but they still suck live. I don't like my musicians to jump around and act like a bunch of monkeys.

Neither do I.

SlipperFink View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 18:50
These kids can play their instruments.

You don't gotta dig them compositionally...

You don't gotta embrace their image, attitude, politics, stage conduct and
general tom-foolery...

But if you cannot see that DEP have a VERY firm grasp as far as technical
execution on one's instrument is concerned.....

You're an idiot.

Period.

They did the work.

In short... they stayed home and practiced while other kids went to
parties.

Get over it.

If yer gonna hate them.... Hate them for something even remotely valid.

SM.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>