Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    Posted: February 28 2006 at 22:02
Originally posted by Losendos Losendos wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I'll repeat what I said in the "Lamb vs. Wall" thread:

interesing that many people seem to think the 2nd part of TLLDOB is "weak". I much prefer it to the first part. it is definitely the more experimental part. but when looking at the story it is quite fitting the album develops like this, because the adventures of Rael just get weirder and weirder, so I don't really complain. by far the best album of Genesis.

Excellent post. I think ths story is mainly a vehicle for doing a variety of emotions through the music.It seems to start as a social commentary but ends up in the realm of the totally absurd. So you can find what you want in it, one interpretation is as good as another. You may listen to a record hundreds of times but you would hardly read something hundreds of times. So I think what Gabriel did with his lyrics is make something that was meaningful yet not totally discernable without taking itself too seriously and having a comic edge .

Therefore i find Gabriel to be amongst the best prog lyricists if not the best

I see it as going from the real to the surreal.  Whether of not the lamb lying down on Broadway indicates that it is a dream I am not sure. But it is in the tradition of the epic, in which a hero goes through a series of adventures or mishaps to arrive at a destination. This destination seems to be the discovery of his true self, which of course is a very sixities concept. This story would seem to involve a descent into hell and a purification at the end through Gabriel's water imagery.

I think if you knew the mythological context that he is drawing from, the piece would be a lot clearer than it seems now. The surreal part of the second phase would seem to be an indication of some kind of trip that reveals the basis of mytholgical realities through which Rael lives his life. He must purge those realities to come to a deeper understanding of who he is. Thus, Rael becomes Real. I think Gabriel chooses NY because it is the most decadent, least romantic place on earth. It is the modern city that holds all those mythologies.

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 18:03

Last year I witnessed the splendid Genesis tribute band The Musical Box in The Hague (Holland) with their 24-carat version of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. My first conclusion after the concert was that Peter Gabriel was in those days already way ahead of the average (prog)rock musician by blending captivating, Freud-inspired lyrics with excellent, very varied music (from the mindblowing In The Cage and the agressive Back In NYC to the cheerful, funny and almost poppy Counting Out Time) and innovative visuals (Slippermen, The Lamia, the fake Gabriel, the slide-show, etc.). When Genesis performed The Lamb, many Genesis freaks were confused (as some mentioned in recent topics) but if you listen nowadays to The Lamb it's such a thrilling experience (although I have to admit that side 4 has some less captivating moments because the band was running out of time).

PROGROCK HISTORY..  .. !

Losendos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 17:48

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

interesing that many people seem to think the 2nd part of TLLDOB is "weak". I much prefer it to the first part. it is definitely the more experimental part. but when looking at the story it is quite fitting the album develops like this, because the adventures of Rael just get weirder and weirder, so I don't really complain. by far the best album of Genesis.

Excellent post. I think ths story is mainly a vehicle for doing a variety of emotions through the music.It seems to start as a social commentary but ends up in the realm of the totally absurd. So you can find what you want in it, one interpretation is as good as another. You may listen to a record hundreds of times but you would hardly read something hundreds of times. So I think what Gabriel did with his lyrics is make something that was meaningful yet not totally discernable without taking itself too seriously and having a comic edge .

Therefore i find Gabriel to be amongst the best prog lyricists if not the best

How wonderful to be so profound
Ounamahl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 08:39
For me (I can't understand even half of the lyrics ), The Lamb is about Rae'ls journey in the afterlife (or a dream).
Journey of growing up, simply put. Like Counting Out Time, it tells about Raels first time? Or Am I Wrong, the lyrics are just so funny there.

This is an electrified fairytale
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 07:55
Originally posted by gentletull gentletull wrote:

gabriels voice on back in nyc are aweful. His voice sounds like fingernails on a black board during parts of the lamb ;)

but that's the purpose! he is Rael, a 17-year old street kid. you can't expect him to sing "oh what a beautiful morning" in a clear and rich tenor voice. it wouldn't fit! to sing this song differently would create a dichotomy

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 06:36

gabriels voice on back in nyc are aweful. His voice sounds like fingernails on a black board during parts of the lamb ;)

The sound is the intended sound to cause the greatest effect on the listener.It fits perfect with the music and as for your descrption of his voice, well, there is only one soloution, a huge syringue for those orejas of yours.

Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 05:57
The lamb is one of the top 3 Genesis albums...Id rate it between Foxtrot and Selling England
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 05:54
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 03:57
Here we go:

http://www.rawbw.com/~marka/music/lamb.html

http://www.genesis-music.com/

http://www.genesis-movement.co.uk/

http://www.repfoto.com/repfoto/genesis/index.htm

http://genesis-path.net/joes_lamb.html

http://www.xtcidearecords.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi? forum=36&topic=860&start=40

...Am I the only one who gave a bit of info here?..

Winter Wine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 12:09
Originally posted by Progger Progger wrote:

Originally posted by Fantômas Fantômas wrote:

The story is pretty crappy, but it's the only decent Genesis album, IMO. 

You just about got it right

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

The album is a masterpiece and Genesis' best after 'Foxtrot'.

My computer's broke
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 12:05
Why you're at it you can tell me what Ulysses by James Joyce is about!  Vagueness is an art, I guess.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 10:59

You just about got it right

ShrinkingViolet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 10:32

**Warning , Warning **

The lunatics have escaped from the asylum , some are yelling "The Lamb is crap ", some are yelling " Gabriels vocals are poor  ! " , " some are even saying Genesis are crap "............after Wind and Withering  they were ! but don't worry these people will be caught and dealt with ...please remain calm!

This is a message from Rael

** Do not adjust your moniters **

Edited by ShrinkingViolet
I'm a Work Of Art..Too Perfect For Someone Like you..
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 10:22
One of the most overated albums of all time, even by Genesis's poor standards. As for the story? there isn't one! Tony Banks has stated that PG's insistence on writing the lyrics weakened the album and the storyline [if there is one] is weak!
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 08:39

I only really like half the songs alot, but there is some real cool stuff. But I gotta say Gabriels vocals are pretty mediocre on this album

Gentletull when do you get out of the asylum you are currently frequenting you have dissed the fabulous Porcupine Tree and now you are deserving the guillotine Gabriel's voice is outrageously brilliant on the Lamb, my fave Genesis album.I fear the magic boomerang has whacked you on the head.Still, you like half of it. I'll make sure your change over nurse is pretty.

Edited by Fragile
martin prog 77 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 04:48
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I predict that this thread will get at least 40 replies and you won't be any the wiser at the end!

As for what I think...umm...pass 

THATS RIGHT  BUT THE MUSIC IS REALLY AMAIZING AND EVEN IF YOU ASK TO PETER GABRIEL HE WONT GIVE YOU A ANWSER
TIME AFTER TIME IAM WASTING MY TIME LIVING IN A PAST WHERE I WAS STRONG,BUT NOW IM GONE.I LEAVE NO SHADOW WHEN IM ALONE.ILL STAY FOREVER IN MY DREAMS WHERE YOU ARE NEAR.-D. Gildenlow
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 04:42
I only really like half the songs alot, but there is some real cool stuff. But I gotta say Gabriels vocals are pretty mediocre on this album
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 04:35

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 23:54

Originally posted by newWorld newWorld wrote:

I'm sure this topic has come up before.  Or maybe I'm wrong and it belongs on a literary arts forum.   Anyhow, I've been listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis lately.  I want to know what this album is about; it seems very thick with symbolism.  I've looked over the internet and have not been able to find in depth coverage of this album.  Does anybody have any idea what this album is really about?  I get lost after "Grand Parade."  Any input would be much appreciated.

The Lamb is a tough cookie to crack.  Unlike the Beatles who could pull off something abstract like Yellow Submarine and get away with it 'cause they're The Beatles, Genesis did not have that clout so we don't have a film.

Genesis had a problem with trying to popularize their abstract, very artsy, music and I would say that the Lamb is an attempt towards that end although the second side is very surreal.  The lyrics and idea are still very abstract but Gabriel uses a lot of rhyme schemes and familiar everyday (very real) images. The problem is that there is no narrative to follow and without a film to give us that narrative, we are left on our own.

The Lamb is an epic, an adventure story taken by Rael. Usually a writer will give a a clue to the meaning of a work in the names of people in the work.  Rael might look like another word, for example.  The Slipperman is another.  Don't let the language fool you just enjoy it.  If it sounds funny it is supposed to be funny.  "Dock the dick" is just what you may think. 

I would say that the underlying idea that you should think of is in the most popular chorus "we've got to get in to get out." There's a reason why that is the most unforgettble chorus.  If it sounds important it is important. Seeing the movie Quadraphenia may also help because I hear a lot of  the soundtrack and the story as well in The Lamb.

Genesis had toured supporting Lou Reed in 1973. NY was bankrupt and all the images that conjure your mind when you think of NY are in the lyrics. Prog from 1968-1973 is pretty comfortable with its romantic, escapist notions.  After 1973 it becomes less comfortable with that aspect of the music.  Its listeners are growing up after all. If you were 18 in '68 you are now 25 in 1975.

I hope that helps a little.

I think the lamb is Johnny Rotten. He was a Gabriel's creation anyway.

Edited by ken4musiq
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 19:33

my thoughts the exact opposite hahahhaha

The story is pretty decent but it's the only crappy Genesis album IMO.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>