Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    Posted: September 29 2004 at 17:34
I'm sure this topic has come up before.  Or maybe I'm wrong and it belongs on a literary arts forum.   Anyhow, I've been listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis lately.  I want to know what this album is about; it seems very thick with symbolism.  I've looked over the internet and have not been able to find in depth coverage of this album.  Does anybody have any idea what this album is really about?  I get lost after "Grand Parade."  Any input would be much appreciated.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2004 at 17:47

I predict that this thread will get at least 40 replies and you won't be any the wiser at the end!

As for what I think...umm...pass 

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2004 at 17:59

It is about a lamb, and it lies down on Broadway. Then the story veers off at a tangent. Ultimately the lamb buggers off.

Simple really!

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2004 at 18:03

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1665&a mp;PN=4

we did talk about this at least once, but like rh said, no real conclusions.

partly beacuse we didn't really go into much depth , but also because it is such an abstract work that different people are bound to come away with different perceptions.

I will say for certain what it is NOT: it's not allegory, or fable, or anything that comes to a specific conclusion about the world. Nor is it a mystery-type narrative, where the pieces come together to show you the author's intended answer.

It could be a spritual journey, like Hesse's Sidhartha, except that the phases the main character goes through do not seem to lead to any real spritual discovery at the end. The imagery is often religious in nature, and it would help to research elements of mythology...but it won't provide much more than reference. Certainly Lilith and the Lamia, for example, have different functions in the story than they do in their original settings.

Mr. Gabriel also seems to be examining sexuality in a number of places. There's a lot of temptation and semi-erotic imagery in the lyrics. There aren't too many other works that deal with the main character losing his genitalia (even Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises", the only other work that immediately comes to my mind, was accidental rather than voluntary).

I personally find that the most frustrating element is that of the brother.

newWorld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2004 at 19:54
Thanks alot.  The thickness of the album, and the ambiguity are what drew me to it.  I read that essay before, and that's the only thing I've read on the album.  It is definitely on my list of the top 5 albums of all time.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2004 at 05:27

It was the ambiguity that drew me to it too, and what makes it one of my all time favourite rock albums.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2004 at 10:41
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

It is about a lamb, and it lies down on Broadway. Then the story veers off at a tangent. Ultimately the lamb buggers off.

Simple really!

I agree with Reed Lover on this one. If you stick to his advice you won't go far wrong .

Incidentally, someone did point out that inside the original gatefold LP, the first line was 'Keep your finger out of my eye as I write' and if you turn over the back cover while still holding the LP, your fingers are resting over 'Rael's' face.

Probably coincidence but it seemed liked fun at the time....

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2004 at 12:45
The lamb could also lie himself down on a butchers table, but then it would ended up being a single instead of the double-album it became.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2004 at 12:55

Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

The lamb could also lie himself down on a butchers table, but then it would ended up being a single instead of the double-album it became.

LOL

I own one in mint condition.

penguindf12 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2004 at 22:52

YO! i know exactly what "the lamb" is about. Just read the liner notes in the side of the CD case and maybe look a little harder online.

Liner notes are at http://userpages.umbc.edu/~dkelly2/74the_lamb.html if you don't have them in your CD case

Full annotations are at http://www.skwc.com/essent/genesis.html just click "download the PDF file" and go to page 396. The annotations begin there. VERY VERY COOL STUFF HERE. I just bought "the lamb" yesterday and it was AWESOME. Grade A prog when you understand what it means.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2004 at 23:00

You could also read my shortened version of annotations in the reviews of "the lamb" on this very site. It's sort of a shorter summary of the stuff I've researched

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 17:55

bump

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 18:07
Originally posted by penguindf12 penguindf12 wrote:

YO! i know exactly what "the lamb" is about. Just read the liner notes in the side of the CD case and maybe look a little harder online.

Liner notes are at http://userpages.umbc.edu/~dkelly2/74the_lamb.html if you don't have them in your CD case

Full annotations are at http://www.skwc.com/essent/genesis.html just click "download the PDF file" and go to page 396. The annotations begin there. VERY VERY COOL STUFF HERE. I just bought "the lamb" yesterday and it was AWESOME. Grade A prog when you understand what it means.

I prefer my prog to be mystical undecipherable bollocks,thanks very much!Shocked

Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 19:55

After 'Close to the Edge' my favourite album. Have my own subjective ideas on the conceptual meaning but that's what makes these things great.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 20:11
Fragile, you really ought to have the Fragile album cover as your avatar...it just makes sense...
HaroldTheBarrel View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 16:12
The Lamb is basically about a boy's love for his adorable dog. His dog's name is fluffy; she is a cocker spaniel. She is mild tepered and enjoys long walks on the beach.
One time Bill (the boy) got poison ivy and it was very unpleasant. Fluffy, however, did not get poison ivy. There was a pharmacy near Bill's small yet cozy home that sold a sort of candy not sold in most corner stores, and Fluffy took him here to sample this candy, in an effort to cure his inconceivably devastating and often itchy malady.
This candy successfully cleared up the poison ivy, BUT it turned him into an awful poet.
Bill began writing terrible poem upon terrible poem, which contributed to the heart problems suffered by the dictator of Latveria, and resulted, interestingly enough, in the liberation of that country's people. However, he never knew this.
On and on the abysmal verse went until finally Bill could bear the burden no longer and droppedd to his knees, begging Fluffy to end his suffering (along with everyone else's).
Now, Fluffy loved Bill dearly, and gazed into his eyes as he said this. She could not bear the thought of living without her dear owner and companion, but his pain was so great, she could not help but oblige.
Fluffy leapt fowards, burying her fangs in Bill's throat and toar out his esophagus, along with several of his more important veins and arteries. She proceded to feast upon these entrails, as sort of a demented canine eulogy to her kind and forbidden love. Shortly thereafter she dragged the corpse into their back yard and burried it beside the begonias and lilies in their fantastic garden.
The dog continued to pay Bill's bills and taxes, so that no one would notice his absence, though it would occur to her in her old age that no one would have missed him anyways.
Anyhow, Fluffy died a reasonably content and respected dog at the ripe old age of seventeen, having published a few books of poetry and short fiction herself; mostly quite well received by critics. She was burried in France, next to Jim Morrison, because Morrison had so enjoyed her second anthology of sonnets (entitled "barking at the World") that he had requested this double-plot in his secret will, which only John Densmore knew of.
On disk of the lamb, Derek Shulman is taking a respectful stroll through this cemetary and happens upon Morrison's grave. Next to it he is shocked to find Fluffy (his all time favourite poet and admittedly the prime inspiration in forming his popular progressive rock band "Gentle Giant")'s grave. He called over his good friend Kerry Minnear, also a fan of Fluffy's, and they wept. The second disk is an exploration of the emotions experienced by Shulman and Minnear as they mourned over the grave of Fluffy: truly the greatest poet of our time.
And that is why "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" is the greatest album ever.

THE END.

Listen:
Your friends have been broken. They've told us of your poison.
Now     we    k now.
KILL THEM!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 16:49
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

LOL

I own one in mint condition.

Nice one
nimrodel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 17:30

Originally posted by HaroldTheBarrel HaroldTheBarrel wrote:

The Lamb is basically about a boy's love for his adorable dog. His dog's name is fluffy; she is a cocker spaniel. She is mild tepered and enjoys long walks on the beach.
One time Bill (the boy) got poison ivy and it was very unpleasant. Fluffy, however, did not get poison ivy. There was a pharmacy near Bill's small yet cozy home that sold a sort of candy not sold in most corner stores, and Fluffy took him here to sample this candy, in an effort to cure his inconceivably devastating and often itchy malady.
This candy successfully cleared up the poison ivy, BUT it turned him into an awful poet.
Bill began writing terrible poem upon terrible poem, which contributed to the heart problems suffered by the dictator of Latveria, and resulted, interestingly enough, in the liberation of that country's people. However, he never knew this.
On and on the abysmal verse went until finally Bill could bear the burden no longer and droppedd to his knees, begging Fluffy to end his suffering (along with everyone else's).
Now, Fluffy loved Bill dearly, and gazed into his eyes as he said this. She could not bear the thought of living without her dear owner and companion, but his pain was so great, she could not help but oblige.
Fluffy leapt fowards, burying her fangs in Bill's throat and toar out his esophagus, along with several of his more important veins and arteries. She proceded to feast upon these entrails, as sort of a demented canine eulogy to her kind and forbidden love. Shortly thereafter she dragged the corpse into their back yard and burried it beside the begonias and lilies in their fantastic garden.
The dog continued to pay Bill's bills and taxes, so that no one would notice his absence, though it would occur to her in her old age that no one would have missed him anyways.
Anyhow, Fluffy died a reasonably content and respected dog at the ripe old age of seventeen, having published a few books of poetry and short fiction herself; mostly quite well received by critics. She was burried in France, next to Jim Morrison, because Morrison had so enjoyed her second anthology of sonnets (entitled "barking at the World") that he had requested this double-plot in his secret will, which only John Densmore knew of.
On disk of the lamb, Derek Shulman is taking a respectful stroll through this cemetary and happens upon Morrison's grave. Next to it he is shocked to find Fluffy (his all time favourite poet and admittedly the prime inspiration in forming his popular progressive rock band "Gentle Giant")'s grave. He called over his good friend Kerry Minnear, also a fan of Fluffy's, and they wept. The second disk is an exploration of the emotions experienced by Shulman and Minnear as they mourned over the grave of Fluffy: truly the greatest poet of our time.
And that is why "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" is the greatest album ever.

THE END.

kinda far out...

dude..

We want... a shrubbery!
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 19:00

Originally posted by penguindf12 penguindf12 wrote:

Fragile, you really ought to have the Fragile album cover as your avatar...it just makes sense...

It does make sense and I did Penguindf12  and The Lamb still makes the same sense too.

Edited by Fragile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 19:43

thank you...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>