Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOnly 3 Floyd albums worth a damn....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 19:47

Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

Hmmmmmmm, I love alot of Floyd's output but cannot rave as others do on their earlier works.Yes DSOTM is very good album but I much prefer Wish you were here.I do not hold them as highly in the prog echelons as I do others.They are fine musicians but their music is not as complex or involved as other top proggers;nor is it as good.They were always more accepted by the radio djs and media for some reason.Don't know if that was luck or what.But I do know they escaped the great purge in the UK around 1977 that savaged Yes only a year after they,(Yes) had topped every poll imaginable especially the Melody Maker's.This has been a source of discontent for me from that time.I still hold them dearly as they give me great musical pleasure.I loved the Division Bell but I cannot put them at the top of the prog hemisphere.

Don't worry about Division Bell, it's nice but clearly not prog. They wanted to fully get rid of any of Roger's influence and by doing that they didn't include many new or creative ideas, just nice easy music. They showed that they can make good, not neccesarrily prog, music without Roger. Has it's prog moments though like on "Poles Apart".

Edited by Rust
We got to pump the stuff to make us tough
from the heart
Its astart
What we need is awareness we cant get careless
Mental self defensive fitness
Make everybody see in order to fight the powers that be
ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 20:12
Originally posted by Losendos Losendos wrote:

don't agree John

If the first side of Atom Heart Mother isn't prog then what is?

Meddle is a great album and so is Dark side of the moon.

I can't understand the logic of those who can DSOTM .Isn't the great gig in the sky a progressive masterpiece

The wall is much less progressive

I agree with you!!!

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 20:56
If Atom heart mother isnt prog...then I dont know what it is...
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Froth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 21:09
Originally posted by John Gargo John Gargo wrote:

...at least when it comes to progressive rock.

First off, I know that this kind of a statement will tick off plenty of forum members, and I wouldn't expect otherwise.  Pink Floyd are ridiculously popular, within the prog rock realm and with fans of classic rock as a whole.  The reason why I think non-prog lovers enthuse over this band (and can't stand stuff like Genesis and Gentle Giant) is because I think only three Pink Floyd albums qualify as progressive.  Those three albums are WISH YOU WERE HERE, ANIMALS, and THE WALL.  The rest of their output is decidedly non-prog (falling more along the lines of psychedelic rock), including their most popular (and overrated) album, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.

Forgive me if this topic has been done to death, but I just heard Money on the radio and I had to vent. 

This may well be your opinion but to be honest, it seems like your just trying to get a big reaction. Pink Floyd were an amazing band, thats why they are popular, no hype. I think this school of proggers who think its 'cool' to hate Pink Floyd are just coldhearted fools who are incaperble of feeling emotion and are only interested in hour long symphoneys feeled with guitar solos and stories of orcs being smitten by Elven warriors in a psuedo-christian, hollywood friendly epic, devoid of wit, intelligence, origionallity and the sort of emotion you find in bands like Pink Floyd. Once you actually live your life, you'll realise there more to than computor games and jive like that and you might understand the ideas behind albums like Dark Side of the Moon. Thats my opinion... would you rather i kept it to myself?

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 21:13
never been much of a fan of dark side or wish you were here. 50% of those 2 albums sound like commercial stuff. Kind of boring

Edited by gentletull
Rust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 21:33
Originally posted by Froth Froth wrote:

Originally posted by John Gargo John Gargo wrote:

...at least when it comes to progressive rock.

First off, I know that this kind of a statement will tick off plenty of forum members, and I wouldn't expect otherwise.  Pink Floyd are ridiculously popular, within the prog rock realm and with fans of classic rock as a whole.  The reason why I think non-prog lovers enthuse over this band (and can't stand stuff like Genesis and Gentle Giant) is because I think only three Pink Floyd albums qualify as progressive.  Those three albums are WISH YOU WERE HERE, ANIMALS, and THE WALL.  The rest of their output is decidedly non-prog (falling more along the lines of psychedelic rock), including their most popular (and overrated) album, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.

Forgive me if this topic has been done to death, but I just heard Money on the radio and I had to vent. 

This may well be your opinion but to be honest, it seems like your just trying to get a big reaction. Pink Floyd were an amazing band, thats why they are popular, no hype. I think this school of proggers who think its 'cool' to hate Pink Floyd are just coldhearted fools who are incaperble of feeling emotion and are only interested in hour long symphoneys feeled with guitar solos and stories of orcs being smitten by Elven warriors in a psuedo-christian, hollywood friendly epic, devoid of wit, intelligence, origionallity and the sort of emotion you find in bands like Pink Floyd. Once you actually live your life, you'll realise there more to than computor games and jive like that and you might understand the ideas behind albums like Dark Side of the Moon. Thats my opinion... would you rather i kept it to myself?

Couldn't say it better myself, what a sheep he is, likes to follow the flock and hate Pink Floyd because they arn't prog to him, that's a great reason not to like a band.

We got to pump the stuff to make us tough
from the heart
Its astart
What we need is awareness we cant get careless
Mental self defensive fitness
Make everybody see in order to fight the powers that be
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 21:36

i think pink floyd was amazing, all of their work.

they are a prog band with a few mainstream moments.

and you'll maybe want to notice that "money" is the only song i'll ever be able to think of, and probably the only song ever in the top 10 to be in 7/4 almost throughout.

now prog is not just odd times, but it does show that they weren' ordinary in the least.

pink floyd was progressive like it or not...and i'll agree with others stating that Dark Side of the Moon was much more progressive than The Wall, although I love both.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 23:38
Pink Floyd 1967-1977 was as prog as they come

Meddle, AHM, Dark Side, Animals - all brilliant, progressive album

Pink Floyd is awesome (though not even in my top 15)
Harold Dupont View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 01:17

Don't get wrong for my picture, I'm a Floyd fan, but I don't say anything just to make them be good to anyone's ears.  There's something that seems to be wrong in your mentality: when something goes on radio with all other commercial stuff, does it necessarly means that it's dirt?  Who decided that Money and Another brick in the wall would be on the radio all the time??  Of course not Floyd when they composed...  And I'll say like others, early albums are excessively progressive, and The wall, though it's a good album, isn't that much.  Not because something is popular that it's noit good, don't forget that.  Personnaly, I don't really like VDGG albums, even if I see and know that they are really good albums when I listen to them but their music doesn't touch me that much... Could be the same for you, but you should see the material and the emotion that are in Floyd's music...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 01:42
DSOTM is a good album but its nowhere near the prog masterpeice that many would like to believe.Its an example of the type of prog where inspiration and energy is sacrificed for consistency and way too much (over) production.
pero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 02:05

The wall is less progressive than Atom hearth mother, Medlle and DSOTM; Ummagumma

It's boring also.

If you can't stand Gentle giant and Genesis try with other styles, don't bother with prog

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 02:10

I hate The Wall It was the beginning of the decadence Dark Side was their most commercial album, second after The Wall in poppiness.

When it comes to prog, the Piper - Obscured By Clouds era is the best IMO. The most experimentation and progression happened then.

Pafnutij View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 03:27
Ah, DTOSM. One of the most boring albums ever made
edible_buddha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 05:53

Floyd broke a lot of ground in many different ways... As well as genre hopping in the process, some of their earlier albums tend to combine psychedelic and prog in such a manner that categorisation would be meaningless anyway (In particular, a good chunk of 'Saucerful...').

Not only that, they wrote music as a band, as opposed to being four 'virtuoso' musos... so there would be some rather uninspiring solo efforts that appear essential for the creation of some classic tunes... (Rogers bass in DSOTM has been mention by some proggers here as an example)... so there may be some confusion as to where to put this band. (thou DSOTM could hardly be placed as pop)

Not all their stuff is prog, and previous posts where some have 'categorised' which album goes where are similiar to where I would place them if I really had to... But what they did to music has given bliss to soo many, that the 'prog or not prog' is almost irrelivant

Anyhoe, 'Atom heart mother', 'Echoes', and the entire DSOTM ensures that the band is well place here

So.....There.

I really like this jacket, but the sleeves are much too long.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 07:53

It's hard for me to think of Floyd as anything other than prog rock, even when it comes to their less 'progressive' albums like Division Bell.

Their entire output between 1967 and 1983 was most definately prog. It may have lacked the techical intricacies of Yes, Gentle Giant & co, but Floyd had broken the rules of popular music. Their experimentation, blended with their extended play and ability to conjure up atmosphere and feel totally alien to all other pop and rock music made them prog by default.

I think their best albums were Meddle and Animals..

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 10:05
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I'd agree with arcer, but I'd say everything from "Piper..." through to "Final Cut" is great.

Maybe "More" isn't so great, "AMH" has weak spots (Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast), and "Final Cut" is a bit like The Wall part II, but everything else shows a band strongly progressing and writing very strong and genre-defining Prog Rock - with only a handful of songs (mostly on "Piper...") as exceptions.

I agree completely.
Pure Brilliance:
Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 10:09
Have you listened to "Atom Heart Mother" or "Meddle."  I find these albums more proggressive than "The Wall." 
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 02:56

Echoes is surely more prog than anythig on The Wall.

The Wall is still a rather good album.

Thufir Hawat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 21:07

Psychedelic is prog that’s why the band

Is on this web site. I believe that almost

All Flyod albums are progressive especially

Dark Side of the Moon. How is Meddle not

Prog?

"I can't see through my eye lids"
dunguinha View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 00:40

Man ... you're crazy ,.. I dont think that you have ever heard The Dark Side of the Moon to the end ...

1 - The Dark Side of the Moon - PINK FLOYD

2 - Crime of the Century - Supertramp

3- Close to the Edge - YES
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>