Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRhapsody

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 21:21

Rhapsody is in prog archives?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I love my fantasy power metal as much as the next guy or gal but they have almost nothing to do with prog, and there are plenty of better power metal bands anyway so if power metal is prog all of the sudden why not start by admitting the better power metal bands to PA

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of some Flute and Voice (Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) albums please PM me! Many thanks!
why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 09:46
IMO blind guardian are more prog than rhapsody. their latest works i meen. although i admit that i find some proggy parts in rhapsodys music but not as musch to call it prog. even it is considered prog i dont think they should be rated so high. i mean 4 stars for rhapsody album and 4 stars for pain of salvation album. does it mean they are as good? i dont think so and nor do you (i guess).still i like them cuz i love fantasy epics as much as star wars    but i guess if i wouldnt be into metal i wouldnt even listen to more that one rhapsody song. id call them symphonic power/speed metal band with high ambition but lacking talent to create prog. i think they should stay whwre they are and play for fans that like them the way they are cuz i think it is obious that they just CANT create something new. like some of you said - they just copy themselves. fine with me,they do it good 
with a smile of a happy idiot
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 10:10

^ you cannot compare Rhapsody and Pain of Salvation. Pain of Salvation are more creative, and incorporate many different styles ... Rhapsody are combining classical music and power metal. They make up for the lack of creativity with really clever arrangements and stunning virtuosity and musicianship.

Havin said that, I think that I'd prefer any Pain of Salvation album over any Rhapsody album, given the choice. But that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the Rhapsody albums for what they are.

Xymphony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 10:55
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

They make up for the lack of creativity with really clever arrangements and stunning virtuosity and musicianship.

Stunning virtuosity? Oh come on Mike!

As for arrangements, yes i agree for their previous works. They have some well arranged, and atmospherically unique songs. (but choral arrangements are stereotypical, and again uninspiring IMO)Yet their  over self-inspiration prevents me to call their music "creative".

why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 10:57
i really agree about the virtuosity of rhapsody. luca turilli is a great guitar player and his solos are very melodic and so are the keyboard parts. although i dont find them proggy [but hey, thats my opinion and i confess i am just a newbie to prog music,i only got to it a year ago]. but they are a great band of no matter what type of music   i just wanted to hear some opinions if am i the only one to think so about them
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 10:59
Originally posted by Xymphony Xymphony wrote:

They make up for the lack of creativity with really clever arrangements and stunning virtuosity and musicianship.

I stand by that. Drums, bass, guitars and keyboards are top notch. Just compare their music to Therion ...

As for arrangements, yes i agree for their previous works. They have some well arranged, and atmospherically unique songs. (but choral arrangements are stereotypical, and again uninspiring IMO)Yet their  over self-inspiration prevents me to call their music "creative".

If you read my above post again, you'll see that it starts with me mentioning that Rhapsody are lacking creativity.

why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 11:09
oh sorry, i forget things easily  
Xymphony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 11:10

I stand by that. Drums, bass, guitars and keyboards are top notch. Just compare their music to Therion ...

If you read my above post again, you'll see that it starts with me mentioning that Rhapsody are lacking creativity.

Yep, i didn't mean you call them "creative"

Bass and drums are okay, almost perfect for speedy power metal. But lacks tooooo much variation. I do not agree on keys and guitars. Guitars are also fast and almost perfect on rythms; however i find the solos too dirty, and again lacking variety. I also see nothing virtuosic (oh i must improve my english i suppose ) on keyboards.

And finally, Therion  Should their non-virtuosity (IMO) compared with Therion's terribility?  (oh, my English)

why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 11:23
please stop mentioning therion   yes solos are quite similar to each other but thats lucas style. yes they are kinda dirty but whatever...i havent heard anything more dirty than yngwie
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 11:42
What do you mean by "dirty"? Tell me and I promise not to mention Therion anymore.
why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 12:19

you cant hear seperate notes. the only thing you hear is trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

walrus333 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 12:20

They dont have all that much virtuoso playing

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of some Flute and Voice (Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) albums please PM me! Many thanks!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 12:37
Originally posted by why not why not wrote:

you cant hear seperate notes. the only thing you hear is trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

you mean sloppy playing. I think that Rhapsody are one of the better bands in that regard ... Petrucci and Vai are the best when it comes to precise ultrafast playing.

why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 12:46
yeah you speak the truth my friend  i meant that yngwie is the most sloppiest not rhapsody
Space Dimentia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 12:47
I think Rhapsody rock! Really good, cheesy stuff, but I wouldnt class them as prog or proggy they are much more in the Stratovarius strand of Power-metal i.e. they are cheesy but take themselves alil to seriously.

Edited by Space Dimentia
Prog is music for the mind
Hear your Orphaned child!
Check out my bands myspace site: www.myspace.com/equinox17
why not View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 12:58
i heavent heard much of stratovarius so i cant say anything. i think rhapsody should be movie directors and make a film that would compete with lord of the rings   for the king for the land for the mountains. the film should be called "all kinds of dragons"
Paco Fox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 03:54

Hi all:

Well, while I agree they are really cheessee (they should be making the soundtrack to the next Uwe Boll film to make the ultimate cheessee-fest film), I like them and I think their inclusione in the Progarchives is completly justified.

There was a similar thread some time ago, where I gave several reasons why this group can be considered prog. They are not THAT complex, but alas, not every prog band must be Cimsom. BJH is prog and nobody doubts that. Like that group, they use orchestral arrangements and not every song on every album is prog. But for me it suffices the amount of unusual song structures (you know, not your average verse-verse-bridge-chorus-verse-chorus) you can find in their albums. And let's not forget the baroque influenced passages, wich is the thing that make me like this group while not being a metal fan.

I may be wrong, but I suspect some people who usually claim this group is not prog just know them for their singles or some superficial listening. It puzzles me how can someone not think about the song 'Symphony of Enchanted Lands' or 'The Dark Tower of Abyss' (just listen to the intro or the harpsichord passage in the middle of it). That leads me to believe that some people dwell in a position of denial: "How can be such a geeky-cheessy-nerdy group in the company of so many great prog groups, really serious musicians". Let's not be such snobs and face the truth: prog can be fun.  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 06:27
^ I know what you mean. I have all Rhapsody studio albums and like each one of them. If you're lucky and the vocals/lyrics don't put you off, you're in for a treat.
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 06:33
i would not mind rhapsody if ye brought in iron maiden
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 06:57
They make Spinal Tap look like a serious band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>