Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDredg!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
adigitaldan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dredg!
    Posted: February 09 2006 at 19:45
If you haven't heard el cielo on SACD, you're missing a lot.  I'll dispense with the audiophile ravings about the stereo mix and get right to the 5.1 mix; it's fantastic.  It is one of my favs next to Floyd's DSotM for best mixed surround sound recording.  All the little transient noises throughout el cielo are well isolated across the rear speakers.  It's almost like a movie soundtrack in how it is mixed.  The surround mix absolutely blows away the stereo mix (which itself is very well done).  I highly recommend anyone with SACD capability to shell out a few bucks and get the SACD version.  BTW, you can pick up an SACD/DVD-a multiformat player for under $100 these days.
The day simply isn't long enough to listen to all this music; my job is really taking away from my listening time!
Catholic Flame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 13:14

dredg is a great band put they do get kind of lost.

Like the Taste of Chaos tour they are on right now.  It puts them with groups that they may share commonalities with put are still very different.

“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.”

~Jack Kerouac
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 13:02
^That would be a good idea. You won't regret it, especially if you love Catch Without Arms.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 09:05
I was recently turned onto this band by my teenage daughter,and love Catch Without Arms.Seeing as how much praise it is getting here,I think I will purchase El Cielo.

infinite adam View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 01:32

dredg are simply fantastic.

Listen to "el cielo" with headphones on.  Truly a masterpiece.

While "Catch Without Arms" is quite a bit more structured, it follows dredg's pattern of never doing the same thing twice.  A great rock album with many naunces that can't be fully appreciated on the first listen.  Expect their next album to be a complete 180.

P.S.  Spitshine is a horrible song.  It's the only dredg song I dislike. There are at least 3 unreleased tracks from "Catch Without Arms" that should have made it onto the album in its place.

http://theinfinitemachine.com - melodic progressive rock
http://myspace.com/theinfinitemachine
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 21:16

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

I've been a dredg fan for many years! 

Catch Without Arms isn't as poppy as it seems at first glance.  While it may be more structured than el cielo, the songwriting skills are definitely superior to el cielo, and the concept is like whoa deep.  However, I do prefer el cielo.  Funny how that works.

Interesting view - I felt the exact opposite when I first bought Catch Without Arms.  The title track is very catchy, in a poppy kind of way (but still a great song).  I was quite disappointed with the 'Perspective II' side, particularly 'Hung Over on a Tuesday' and 'Spitshine', which struck me as very college-indy sounding.

On the other hand, I agree el cielo is the better work.  Not as segmented as the tracks on Catch Without Arms, but certainly more interesting, and one I listen to far more often even though I've had it longer.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 20:10
Since I buyed their last album this week I became more interested in them and realised that they have a very strong post-rock feel to them and with the album catch without arms its more noticable.

has anyone else see the resemblence or is it that im too far behind that notced it really late ?

Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 16:35
yeah...it's one of those albums that has it's "hooks" that you'll think nothing of at first, but then find yourself humming later. "What the hell is that song??" you ask, and put in the Dredg album and fall in love...
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 12:44
el cielo is the only album i have from them and so far so good. i don't think is a masterpice (maybe in the future), but is still a damn good album and ,yes , every one needs to hear "el cielo" it at least once in their life 

Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 12:35
i love drdedg

listen to Hella
Marc Baum View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 12:13

El Cielo is a modern art rock masterpiece of the highest order! My fave is "The Grand Canyon Behind Her" - what a brilliant piece of music!

Also find Catch Without Arms extremely good, but I also prefer El Cielo (very slightly indeed)

"All you need to do is sit back, and acquire the taste." - GENTLE GIANT
Tholomyes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 11:55
Yes, what an album!. All the tracks are excelent but Whoa Is Me is my favourite, i can't stop listening to this song...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 11:38
i heard recently they have a new a new album in the wake and it's due rather soon...although the official report i guess i'll post in a new thread if it comes without high notice...

i'll keep checking their outposts/main site/myspace etc.

i'm hoping it moves back towards the more fluent/progressive/dreamy style of "El Cielo"...
SolariS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 19:39

ok, thanks for the advice. i'm probably just not into their style.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 18:48
i don't think teh band is masterful, but i will say that el cielo is quite an experience if you let it take hold.
The Ryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 18:31
Originally posted by SolariS SolariS wrote:

I have found Dredg! ...and unfortunately the only album i bought was catch without arms. it was a HUGE dissappointment for me considering all the hype in this site about them. i found that album to be very lukewarm. every song sounded like the one before it, and it was easily one of the least progressive albums from this site that i have seen good reviews for. all i can say is bland, post-grunge era alternative rock.

anyway, i want to get el cielo, because i hear it's their best album, but i'm a little scared since the reviews steered me so wrong on the last purchase...

In my opinion you won't thuroughly enjoy any of Dredg's albums if you can't enjoy one of them. Every one of their songs follows that same pattern of what you call "post-grunge era alternative rock". I find the band to be mediocre, and I have all their albums. The problem is lack of diversity from song to song, album to album, and throughout the bandmembers. If you have a lot of spare money it's worth experiencing though.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 18:29

well then you just might not be a dredg fan...they aren't for everyone.

but they are progressive, and el cielo is greater than catch without arms.

but if you didn't like CWA than i dunno if you'll like El Cielo either

SolariS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 18:16

I have found Dredg! ...and unfortunately the only album i bought was catch without arms. it was a HUGE dissappointment for me considering all the hype in this site about them. i found that album to be very lukewarm. every song sounded like the one before it, and it was easily one of the least progressive albums from this site that i have seen good reviews for. all i can say is bland, post-grunge era alternative rock.

anyway, i want to get el cielo, because i hear it's their best album, but i'm a little scared since the reviews steered me so wrong on the last purchase...

Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 09:08
I've been a dredg fan for many years! 

Catch Without Arms isn't as poppy as it seems at first glance.  While it may be more structured than el cielo, the songwriting skills are definitely superior to el cielo, and the concept is like whoa deep.  However, I do prefer el cielo.  Funny how that works.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 02:30

dredg is great live, along with porcupine tree and the mars volta--i've seen them all lucky me (via video for dredg + porcupine tree but still it's an experience!).

but yes i agree with the catch without arms statement, Dredg started out too agressive, descended to the beauty that is El Cielo, and since has begun to blend, which is Catch Without Arms. While I enjoy all three albums, El Cielo is definately the only album that is perfect by them.

Check it out.

Edited by king volta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>