Topic ClosedFree mp3 neo-prog masterpiece

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free mp3 neo-prog masterpiece
    Posted: January 22 2006 at 22:59

Thought you guys might be interesting in checking out this site ... run by keyboardist Nick Peck ...

http://www.underthebigtree.com/

he's done a few projects including the Yes influenced symphonic band Episode, some jazz, some electronic music and an interesting project called under the big tree (a sort of experimental neo-prog work with hints of anything from Tool to ELP) ... he's made all his music available on mp3 format on this site ... worth checking out ... and supporting him if you enjoy his music.

Having listened to it more thoroughly I'm now pretty sure that Starlight Tales (the Episode albums) and in particular Edge Of The Sky will appeal very strongly to neo-prog fans who also like Yes ...

Don't miss it!

Edited by Trotsky
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 13:04
Let's see if a change of topic will bring in more interest ... what I've heard is pretty good ... 
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 14:27
Thanks Trotsky. I've downloaded the first 2 tracks from "Under the big tree" and they're pretty good so I'm going to download the rest. Definitely worth a listen -  "Mouth and Frogs" sounds a bit like Tool but I don't expect it's all like that.
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 01:19

Cheers chopper ... it certainly isn't all similar ... the Episode albums sort of pre-date Glass Hammer, right down to the keyboard heavy, Yes inflluence (check out the 15 minute Edge of the Sky from Starlight Tales!) and female vocals ... in fact as with Glass Hammer the vocal segments hamper the band (IMO, of course )

BTW, one track from Under The Big Tree didn't download for me ...

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 07:39
Yes, one of the tracks is missing, can't remember which one now. I'm going to listen to the rest of this album tonight as my initial impressions were good, then I'll download some others.
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 01:41

This is what GEPR has to say about Episode ...

Episode [USA]

Fourtunes (85), Into the Epicenter (90), Edge of the Sky/Echoes (91), Starlight Tales (93)

Good chops musically (Yes-like) but female singer is a little annoying. Try Into the Epicenter

Edge of the Sky is the best thing they've done. Epicenter is weak. But this is one of the best up and comers. Let's hope they pull through.

To quote Nick Peck, current keyboardist, this band plays and composes "sweeping, grandiose works in the tradition of Yes and Procol Harum with a nasty King Crimson-esque streak.." Peck is by far the stand-out in the band, being both a very good keyboardist and writer. He puts much attention to detail and keeps current with the technology so their arrangements are often fascinating. Their last two albums featured Tom Finch on guitar, whose playing resembles (very loosely) Satriani. He adds much needed bite to the sound and is an outstanding player. Tom recently left the band and has been replaced recently by Gary Morrell (of the band Now), whose guitar work is much more influenced by Jerry Garcia. Expect a fairly different (though not necessarily worse) sound in the future. On the flip side, I find the sound somewhat unemotional and timid. They would also do well to find a competent vocalist.

Episode is one of the better bay area progressive bands. They have several cassette releases, and maybe one LP. In their sound one may hear hints of Meddle era Pink Floyd, Tales period Yes, and some fusion influence as well. Because their songs run the wide gamut and the band has plenty of fresh and original ideas, these influences are hardly detectable within the scope of their music. Vocalist Roe Tyler's original style lends even more credibility and uniqueness.

Episode are a five-piece California-based band with a few cassette releases under their collective belt. Starlight Tales is their most recent release and, I believe, their first CD. Episode are Tom Finch (guitars), Nick Peck (keyboards, vocals), Gary Scheuenstuhl (drums, percussion), Don Tyler (bass, 12-string guitar, vocals) and Roe Tyler (vocals, flute). Starlight Tales consists of nine songs, from three minutes to 25 minutes (26 if you want to tack on the 49 second "Wind and Watering" instrumental closer). Episode draw from obvious influences, such as Yes and Genesis and less obvious influences like National Health, which they combine with a small degree of accessibility (particularly in the shorter tunes), some jazzy touches and enough of their own ideas to come across as fresh and mostly original. One characteristic that I found especially pleasing was that, even in the shorter tunes, Episode have a fine sense of musical development. Middle sections are quite different from the opening and closing sections, creating a feeling of movement to each song. These differing sections don't sound thrown together or forced but instead as logical developments of the opening theme. Of everything that is good about Episode, I would have to say this ability is their greatest strength. "Bobby in the Bushes," a five minute instrumental, is perhaps the best example of this ability. Starting with Steve Howe-like harmonics and lead guitar, and occasional Wakemanesque flourishes, Episode quickly take the theme across a variety of styles, refusing to merely repeat and rehash, instead developing through a middle section that, for a few moments reminds of National Health, and ending up with a dash of humor as Finch sounds the familiar "the horse race is about to start" theme on his guitar. This all takes place comfortably in the space of five minutes. Even better is the 15 minute "Edge of the Sky," the track I feel to be the strongest on the album. Again, Episode traverse a variety of [no pun intended] episodic themes, starting with gentle acoustic guitar, digital piano and ethereal voice, moving into both obvious and vague Yes (circa Close to the Edge) and Genesis (circa Nursery Cryme) references, and a nice middle section including "sitar" and tablas. Acoustic guitar is generously featured, which adds nice texture. Peck's tenor is nicely matched with Roe Tyler's lovely voice. In rare instances, I thought Roe was pushing the edge of her range but, overall, I found myself wishing her vocal passages would go on much longer than they did. I really would like to hear her featured more often as a lead vocalist. The other short tunes is where the accessible side of Episode shows forth. Not commercial per se, these songs, such as "Barriers of Attitude" and "The Ship" are easy-going songs that are nice but somehow not quite fulfilling. "Dead Fish in the Tank" is an innocuous little ditty that, at 1:40, is merely filler. "Hesperates Rising" is a 25 minute, four-part piece that reveals both the best the band has to offer, both in compositional and playing abilities, as well as highlighting some flaws. At this length, it takes a lot of ability to keep the song interesting, and the band succeeds only partially. Though, once again, Episode display their talent at logical development of a song, I felt this song was a little slow in developing and perhaps went on a little to long. I think they could have trimmed about five to seven minutes of music here and there, strengthening the song through conciseness. Though not lacking in substance (there was a little too much), ultimately, I think "Hesperates Rising" lacked overall strength, which brings me to this: The one thing I kept thinking was that Episode should try to "push the envelope" more, pressing their musical abilities to the limits. I had the feeling that the band was playing well within their talent, perhaps to turn out a consistent album. Though a good album, I think Starlight Tales would be greatly improved if the band went all out, or at least gave the impression of such. For example, Scheuenstuhl and Don Tyler work well together as the rhythm unit, providing a stable foundation, but I felt they were too reserved, and should have been driving themselves, and Peck and Finch, to greater heights. I haven't heard Episode's earlier material so I can't judge how much they may have improved since, but Starlight Tales leaves the impression of a talented band that hasn't realized their full potential. Still, as a whole, Episode's Starlight Tales is a solid album, accessible without being commercial and shows an excellent sense of development and progression within songs. I think many of you would enjoy this album very much. -- Mike Taylor

[See Peck, Nick]

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 22:45
Another change of title might do the trick?

Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 03:37
Well, it got my attention! Will download stuff this weekend. Thanks!
Blog this:
http://artrock2006.blogspot.com
oldebag View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 21:04
if my dialup survives the struggle.. I should be able to check out this great download!- back at you in a few days...... thanks, c
lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 13:39
Thanks a lot.  Sounds good.
My recent purchases:
 Post Reply Post Reply