FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Wall Movie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Wall Movie
    Posted: October 09 2004 at 17:55
I just wanted to see what everyone thought of the wall movie? good or bad?

i thought it was excellent, one of my fave films. It just expresses the album so well and makes it much easier to follow and actually makes the album sound better. The music has a few differences but i loved it all. Even Bob Geldoff's acting was good hehe. This is visually stunning and i just love the way the film managed to be so good even tho there was no script.

The Floyd are truely incredible.
The Worthless Recluse
Carl floyd fan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 18:15
it was weird and lsd induced, thats for sure.
Gaston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 18:23

I like it, but only because it makes me feel sorry for Roger and that helps his case, what with the whole being the cause of Pink Floyd's disintegration over the years because of what an arse he was.

I like the Gerald Scarfe stuff myself, the animations. Airplanes that turn into crosses, that sort of thing. The tortured rock god imagery never moved me. I was always kind of like "well it doesn't need to be like that, it's just the heroin" you know? But I can understand where he was going with it. The same sort of theme was played out in DSOTM. Madness and all that...

It's too bad drugs were such a prevalent part of the Floyd. On the other hand, they might not have done so well otherwise...

It's the same guy. Great minds think alike.
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 18:27

I don't know.  I liked the movie, but I never really got into Bob Geldof.  And after seeing the live "the Wall" shows... this left me a little cold.  I'd prefer to see David playing CN...

I think that its funny however to watch David G's "Meltdown" video from 2001 and seeing Bob Geldof have to read the words for CN off a paper as he sings them on stage... what a wus!

THIS IS ELP
penguindf12 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 18:47
I haven't seen the movie, but I loved the album. In fact, it's the first prog I listened to after DSOTM, and it got me to find this site. I know exactly what happens in the movie, song by song, but I just haven't seen the movie. It's not something I'd want my mom to see, she'd denounce it right off. My dad probably wouldn't get it either.
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 18:58

Penguin...there are some great pieces of music in there you are missing . 1st thing...it has When the Tigers Broke Free(pts1 & 2)...this can be remedied by buying Echoes compilation Cds. Second..an awesome version of Mother and Third and most importantly...What Shall We Do Now?....it is worth the purchase just to have access to that tune.

frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 19:06

Quote it was weird and lsd induced, thats for sure.

very very true. I loved the whole psychadelic and trippiness of it. Like most pink floyd stuff. If only they had done more of this! imagine ummagumma in video form lol that would be insane!

also one of the best things is the strong symbolism used, like the flowers having sex and fighting, and the crosses turning into planes and the union jack bleeding into a drain. excellent!

The Worthless Recluse
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 19:09
Quote what with the whole being the cause of Pink Floyd's disintegration over the years because of what an arse he was.

Also very true. Roger did bring the downfall of the band. it seems that they are only good when all four members are present. nothing after the wall was good. but maybe it was for the best, had to end sometime. 20 years of pure consistancy is near impossible.

get the november 2004 issue of Q, it has an article about all 4 members of pink floyd reforming for a tour in 2005 for the 30th anniversary of wish you were here.
The Worthless Recluse
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 19:17

Frenchie....there is almost an UmaGumma in video...not quite as this was made in '71,but it does feature a pair of songs from it called Pink Floyd at Pompeii

I don't think Roger brought the fall all by himself...some of that you can contribute to Richard Wrights lack of enthusiasm after Animals

Also I am sure you'll invoke the wrath of Threefates by blasting all albums after the Wall as she loves the Division Bell....just a warning

Plus...Syd Barrett took lots of drugs...not to say the rest of Floyd were angels , but everything I have always read on them indicates the rest of them were not huge drug users...heck some say they didn't take them at all....I don't buy that for 1 minute, however....I just don't think drugs played a big role in their creativity after Syd.

frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 20:13
Quote Frenchie....there is almost an UmaGumma in video...not quite as this was made in '71,but it does feature a pair of songs from it called Pink Floyd at Pompeii

i have that on dvd and it is excellent. Yeah the songs like careful, controls and secrets are very similar to the live album and i love them so much. They are brilliant reworkings. None of the ummagumma studio tracks are on there tho.

Ummagumma is my fave pink floyd album and i love pompeii too.

when i said a video i meant representing the music visually tho, like the wall.

Edited by frenchie
The Worthless Recluse
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 21:03

threefates:

I gotta agree with you.  The movie was certainly interesting, but having seen The Wall live at Nassau Coliseum, it definitely left me short.  That said, I can understand that, since The Wall was only performed live 12 times in two cities (6 in London, 6 in NY), and thus most people did not get to see it, the movie must serve as a substitute.  In this regard, I can understand why many people say that it made the album easier to understand.

Peace.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2004 at 03:35

I find The Wall to be a bit too "Roger on the Couch" (stop sniggering - you know exactly what I mean...).

Scarfe's animations stand the test of time - truly amazing, but I get a bit bored by the self-analysis scenes - Pink as a young boy, etc. It's obvious what is being conveyed - and therein lies the problem! 

The other thing I'm not keen on is Geldof's singing of some of the songs - I find his nasal sneer very annoying - as if he's trying to be a punk Bob Dylan. The additional songs hold no interest for me - they're much weaker than anything on the original album.

I don't think the film is LSD inspired, except in the way that all Floyd's music is inspired by that drug - a result of Syd's enthusiasm for it. Certainly, there is  reference to drugs being a very bad thing, and the influence to be something you're better off without.

Overall it's a unique film, and certainly great to watch - in moderation...

Edited by Certif1ed
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2004 at 14:51

Certified Said: The additional songs hold no interest for me - they're much weaker than anything on the original album

How can you say that with What Shall We Do Now compared to Empty Spaces? WSWDN has everything on Empty Spaces and more. Not to mention this tune rocks..sorry, but I will have to disagree with you wholeheartedly on that particular one.

Edited by gdub411
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2004 at 16:17
Disagree away - it's a free (and gentlemanly) forum
Lunarscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2004 at 08:45

The Wall is a masterpiece in all concepts; The psychiatry behind it is fantastic, the music perfectly matched and the decadent story of a Rock Icon in deep s*** due to record company pressure and drug abuse make The Wall one of the most important documents of modern times. Its used as reference in psychology class at many universities around the world. As a personal "Cry of The Heart" interlacing Mr. Waters personal history with the psychotic degradaing of the main caracter in the plot is great and courageous. Dont forget it was written in the "Cold War" days and nuclear doom day was more a fact then than now - Ok we still have a few really bad nut-cases out there but not as powerful as Breznjev () or Ronald Reagan in their time.

I disagree with the assumptions that PF was drenched in LSD, as far as I'm concerned the main drug consumed over at camp PF has been alcool and mild drugs in insignificant doses. Nothing has been proven.........yet !

Totally disagree with Waters being the sole responsable for the rupture of PF. It takes two to fight, and maybe some band members wasnt interested in the The Wall - Final Cut direction that PF took (leaded by Waters). Do we know too much about the alternative directions ! Was there somebody else writing other stuff or with other ideas for new albums. And dont forget that Waters solo material has far more quality than the other PF members. (I wont go into sales of solo material since its pretty obvious that the Waters solo career has up til today been much brigther than that of the other members. Studying Mr. Waters solo material lets us know that he was in fact Mr. Pink Floyd in body and soul.!)

________

Lunar

Music Is The Soul Bird That Flies In The Immense Heart Of The Listener . . .
 Post Reply Post Reply