Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 05:30
Good for you.
My solo music: ANTHROPIATE
erlenst View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 05:57
I listened a bit to black metal when I was younger, but to be brutally honest, I find it incredibly pathetic in every way these days. I consider it music for immature people really, no matter how snobby that sounds.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 06:10

Originally posted by erlenst erlenst wrote:

I listened a bit to black metal when I was younger, but to be brutally honest, I find it incredibly pathetic in every way these days. I consider it music for immature people really, no matter how snobby that sounds.

Exactly the same for me. When I was in my teens I listened to a bit of Venom, but even then it was only really for comedy value. I dont really understand what grown men get out of playing/listening to that music. It's just plain silly.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 06:37

Originally posted by Equimanthorn Equimanthorn wrote:

I make black metal, and i would like to hear what people think about this
subject. What countries do you think best produced this music. France,
Norway, Sweden,Germany, Poland, U.S, Ect... Different styles you particularly
like... Best bands..... Proggers, Compare Robert Wyatts Rock Rottom and
other obscure european prog to modern day American Black Metal such as
Xathstur or Leviathian and you may be suprised at the length of these guys
influences. I find a lot more in Death and Black metal that tickles the same
funny bone from all this 70's prog, but still cant stand the DT or any other
"prog Metal".

I used to be heavily into BM of all shapes and sizes, from Darkthrone to Cradle Of Filth, but I hardly listen to it anymore, I guess I just got tired of its atmosphere. I sometimes come back to Satyricon's "Rebel Extravaganza", Mayhem's "A Grand Declaration of War" and Immortal's "At the Heart of Winter", but I don't really know whether they can still be classified as black metal. I'm vaguely aware there's a black metal reneissance going on nowadays, and the USA is a part of it, but it's on the periphery of my interests. I heard the names Xathstur and Leviathan but haven't heard their music. The only newer bands I've checked out lately were Krieg and Averse Sefira, but I liked neither. I do mean to give Primordial and Negura Bunget (spelling?) a try, however.

As for the prog influences... well, I guess there must be some in ABSU, but I haven't really heard their music, I only know Proscriptor is a big 70s' prog fan. Hell, maybe I do need to listen to some ABSU, then. Also maybe it's just me, but there is or was a 70s hard-rock vibe to Gorgoroth. 

I generally like death metal much more and I'm really getting into doom metal, especially of the ultra slow and grinding variety (like Burning Witch, for example). I also love prog metal, DT and the whole cheesy, feelgood lot included

Anyway, don't let the 'slow' (being VERY diplomatic here) start to your thread bring you down, there's some black metal fans here, like Logos, for example, you'll just have to wait for them to show up. 

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 06:46
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Exactly the same for me. When I was in my teens I listened to a bit of Venom, but even then it was only really for comedy value. I dont really understand what grown men get out of playing/listening to that music. It's just plain silly.

I like to listen to it once in a while ... but I have no real connection to this style. I DO like the more experimental forms of Black Metal - like Ulver, Unexpect, Vintersorg.

Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 06:51
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I like to listen to it once in a while ... but I have no real connection to this style. I DO like the more experimental forms of Black Metal - like Ulver, Unexpect, Vintersorg.

Completely forgot about those - haven't heard Ulver yet, but Arcturus' "La Masquerade Infernale" is very, very cool, and that seems to be just the tip of the iceberg.

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 07:32

I third the emotion!..

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 08:27
^ Yeah, I dont think I meant that to sound quite so condescending..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 09:08

I dont really understand what grown men get out of playing/listening to that music. It's just plain silly.

I prefer men doing that than our officers playing war games (I know them from my 3 year military service and 10 years of reserve service) and our heads of governments playing "rational and serious" diplomats and leaders.

Anyway amogst all the music I hear and love (and there is much I listen to), there is also black metal. I don't give a f**k about their pose and clothes, but I love the sound of this music and the vocals too. I love harsh growls and shrieks and also tender soft voices much like my music. Not my prefered style of music, definitely, but one that I love listening to.

That been said, what is this thread about anyway?

Edited by avestin
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:13

I'm not that big a fan of Dark/Black/Death metal, its all just a bit too extreem for me.

BTW avestin, where is the Nrutral Zone

Edited by sleeper
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:25
Where I wish I would be right now...So far away, but still very vivid in my mind...
ulver982 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:57
Originally posted by Manunkind Manunkind wrote:

Originally posted by Equimanthorn Equimanthorn wrote:

I make black metal, and i would like to hear what people think about this
subject. What countries do you think best produced this music. France,
Norway, Sweden,Germany, Poland, U.S, Ect... Different styles you particularly
like... Best bands..... Proggers, Compare Robert Wyatts Rock Rottom and
other obscure european prog to modern day American Black Metal such as
Xathstur or Leviathian and you may be suprised at the length of these guys
influences. I find a lot more in Death and Black metal that tickles the same
funny bone from all this 70's prog, but still cant stand the DT or any other
"prog Metal".

I used to be heavily into BM of all shapes and sizes, from Darkthrone to Cradle Of Filth, but I hardly listen to it anymore, I guess I just got tired of its atmosphere. I sometimes come back to Satyricon's "Rebel Extravaganza", Mayhem's "A Grand Declaration of War" and Immortal's "At the Heart of Winter", but I don't really know whether they can still be classified as black metal. I'm vaguely aware there's a black metal reneissance going on nowadays, and the USA is a part of it, but it's on the periphery of my interests. I heard the names Xathstur and Leviathan but haven't heard their music. The only newer bands I've checked out lately were Krieg and Averse Sefira, but I liked neither. I do mean to give Primordial and Negura Bunget (spelling?) a try, however.

As for the prog influences... well, I guess there must be some in ABSU, but I haven't really heard their music, I only know Proscriptor is a big 70s' prog fan. Hell, maybe I do need to listen to some ABSU, then. Also maybe it's just me, but there is or was a 70s hard-rock vibe to Gorgoroth. 

I generally like death metal much more and I'm really getting into doom metal, especially of the ultra slow and grinding variety (like Burning Witch, for example). I also love prog metal, DT and the whole cheesy, feelgood lot included

Anyway, don't let the 'slow' (being VERY diplomatic here) start to your thread bring you down, there's some black metal fans here, like Logos, for example, you'll just have to wait for them to show up. 

You should really give Negura Bunget (sp?)  Yeah, I forgot how to spell it.  Anywho..I've got one of their albums, and it's actually really good stuff.  I consider it fairly complex compared to a lot of bm bands out there..and long songs too..9+ minutes. 

I pretty much like black metal from Europe...the very few US black metal bands I've heard sucked.  For instance, Night Conquers Day   It's kind of funny how they praise Opeth in their booklet, but when you listen to the music......heh.  I still listen to black metal on occasion.  I'm sometimes up for some Abigor or Burzum.  I'll always have a love for black metal..for me, it paved the way to prog.

Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.
Crushed Aria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 16:16
Easily the best genre of music for me. I love music to have atmosphere and the like, and well the atmosphere alot of Prog. bands create sound fake, forced, or just don't do anything for me.

Thinking that black metal is for immature people is one of the stupidest things I have heard. Some Black metal musicians can play and write better music than alot of Prog. Musicians, and I can tell you this, if you have not followed Ihsahn's career outside of Emperor, you will never believe me.

You have to listen to bands like Sigh, Diabolical Masquerade, Solefald, Transcending Bizarre, Ulver, etc. before you can judge black metal, as "silly and immature."

In regards to there being no good USBM, there is a hell of alot of it. Xasthur, Leviathan, Judas Iscariot, and Grand Belial's Key for example, are amazing bands.

I think that black metal takes alot more skill and talent to make the music sound good, and I don't mean Darkthrone good I mean Ulver, early Arcturus, In The Woods..., Empyrium, Dies Irae, etc, than it does for any other style of music.

I do not mean this in terms of general instrumental skill, because alot of the bands are really simple, but I mean in the actual composing and writing of the music. You can easily get some guy who can play pretty well on the guitar, some half-bit keyboardist and a bland drummer, and then you can write music with time signature changes and hah. You have a Prog. band.

To make a good BM band it takes alot more. It takes marriage to the soul of the music.
gimsom View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 16:24

Same here thou I never listened it. Few times when I was forced. Agreed totally.

gimsom View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 16:26
Originally posted by Crushed Aria Crushed Aria wrote:

Easily the best genre of music for me. I love music to have atmosphere and the like, and well the atmosphere alot of Prog. bands create sound fake, forced, or just don't do anything for me.

Thinking that black metal is for immature people is one of the stupidest things I have heard. Some Black metal musicians can play and write better music than alot of Prog. Musicians, and I can tell you this, if you have not followed Ihsahn's career outside of Emperor, you will never believe me.

You have to listen to bands like Sigh, Diabolical Masquerade, Solefald, Transcending Bizarre, Ulver, etc. before you can judge black metal, as "silly and immature."

In regards to there being no good USBM, there is a hell of alot of it. Xasthur, Leviathan, Judas Iscariot, and Grand Belial's Key for example, are amazing bands.

I think that black metal takes alot more skill and talent to make the music sound good, and I don't mean Darkthrone good I mean Ulver, early Arcturus, In The Woods..., Empyrium, Dies Irae, etc, than it does for any other style of music.

I do not mean this in terms of general instrumental skill, because alot of the bands are really simple, but I mean in the actual composing and writing of the music. You can easily get some guy who can play pretty well on the guitar, some half-bit keyboardist and a bland drummer, and then you can write music with time signature changes and hah. You have a Prog. band.

To make a good BM band it takes alot more. It takes marriage to the soul of the music.

... And I think youre nuts or joking (don't reply I'am not going to even look at this thread anymore, it doesn't deserve it.

Crushed Aria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 16:40
Originally posted by gimsom gimsom wrote:

Originally posted by Crushed Aria Crushed Aria wrote:

... And I think youre nuts or joking (don't reply I'am not going to even look at this thread anymore, it doesn't deserve it.

Well, good. You noob with a God-complex. You have obviously not listened to any Black metal.

Edited by Crushed Aria
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 16:52
Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

I third the emotion!..

yep

zaxx View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 16:57
I sometimes listen to black metal too - usual stuff like Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir and such. The only problem I find with usual black metal bands is the poor quality of the vocals. That's why my favorite black metal band will always remain King Diamond.
Destiny... Infinity... Eternity...
Pseud0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 17:04
ulver and arcturus just arn't black metal, sorry
bands like dummy burger make horrible music

emperor, bathory, immortal, darkthrone, and burzum have made some excellent music however
also, early enslaved (who are now an absolutely fantastic genesis influenced experimental band)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>