Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddiscrimination for prog in other language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 01:35
Originally posted by Thufir Hawat Thufir Hawat wrote:

I don’t care about the langaue, as long as

It is prog.

You think music has to be prog to be good  ?
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 02:13

Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

I do listen to prog with foreign lyrics, but what always happens is I start to wonder what they're singing about. Especially if it's a concept album of sorts, which then becomes aggravating. I just feel like I'm missing something special and then I get depressed.

I often feel the same. If I could speak as many languages as exist!

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 07:46
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I do listen to prog with foreign lyrics, but what always happens is I start to wonder what they're singing about. Especially if it's a concept album of sorts, which then becomes aggravating. I just feel like I'm missing something special and then I get depressed.

almost 90% of the music I listen is in another language. To live in South America is to grow up listening to all kinds of stuff you don't understand... Off course, now there's internet, so you can always count with translators and things like that. Plus, I can use a little english now. that helps, but only for reading. Some peoples pronunciation is very poor. At least, now I understand 50% of the lyrics. Still, there's a cultural gap I'll never be able to compensate.

¡Beware of the Bee!

Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 11:25

That happens to me too. Funny that this topic just came up... one of my favorite electro-industrial bands, The Young Gods, are a Swiss band that sang entirely in French for their first few releases. I began to wonder what they were singing about, but I got past it, because I loved the music so much. Then they released an album with English lyrics. Now I don't know if something got lost in the translation, or whether the lyrics were also bad in French, but WOW were the lyrics dumb!  I actually began to prefer that they went back to French, so I could make up my own concepts behind the songs!

On the other hand, I just bought my first Eloy album, Ocean. At first I was concerned that the singer's thick German accent was what was bothering me. I've realized now that that's only a part of it. I also think the vocals are just poorly executed!

I firmly believe that Eloy HAD to have been part of the inspiration for "This is Spinal Tap".

Pure Brilliance:
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 16:04
I was one of the victim of these discriminisation too, but thats long gone. who would I apreciate Anglagard, Sigur Ros, Harmonium, Magma or italian prog bands?

So for all of you out there who don't like prog because it isn't sung in a language you can't understand, please try to be open minded because you're missing in alot of prog rock action (accesories not included)

oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 17:22
Makes me angry that so many people that call themselves Progfans refuse to listen Prog rock bands with foreign lyrics. They dont know what they are missing!!! Italian for example is so poetical language, Spanish, language of MAGMA..

sorry for my english

Lord Qwerty View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 17:41

Lord Qwerty feels that enjoyment of prog should be based around the music. If you must have vocals, give them emotion and hopefully melody. If possible, avoid putting too much philosophy into the lyrics or Lord Qwerty will groan because if he wanted to listen to your f**king thoughts on the meaning of life, he would have asked. Lord Qwerty likes beauty, damnit!! Not sissy pseudo-philosophy. Instead, make them intentionally ludicrous like Peter Gabriel or give me a sad story like 'Fallen Angel' by King Crimson. And for the love of God, NO MORE ROCK OPERAS!! Lord Qwerty thinks they're absurd. If you MUST tell a story, DON'T make it allegorical. Lord Qwerty HATES allegories. Are you listening to his lordship, Neil Morse?!

In summary, Lord Qwerty doesn't mind if the lyrics are in a language he doesn't understand.

Edited by Lord Qwerty
Lord Qwerty is remarkably pretentious.
BePinkTheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 17:51

I'm like this. i dont know why. i dont evn listin to lyrics of english songs. BUt i've never been tempted to listen to Italian prog or anytihng like that. German Metal i can do though...

I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
Mharo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 17:59
Even though I have a quite good English level, it's not easy for a non-native speaker to understand the lyrics, at least not inmediately. So I guess I'm used to not understanding lyrics and just listening to the music.
The only problem is that sometimes I can't reproduce the phonetic sound of some languages (such as japanese) and I get a bit lost. But that doesn't keep me from enjoying the music, it just takes me a little longer to do.
Suritis: The Remembering.
Hopefully we should appreciate that given points in time are not so significant as the nature of what is impressed on the mind, and how it is retained and used.
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 18:09

Originally posted by Mharo Mharo wrote:

Even though I have a quite good English level, it's not easy for a non-native speaker to understand the lyrics, at least not inmediately. So I guess I'm used to not understanding lyrics and just listening to the music.
The only problem is that sometimes I can't reproduce the phonetic sound of some languages (such as japanese) and I get a bit lost. But that doesn't keep me from enjoying the music, it just takes me a little longer to do.

The same thing happens to me. Sometimes i have to hear two or three times the song only paying attention the the lyrics, or even listen it while i'm reading the lyrics in order to understand the message given, but at last i get to understand de songs quite well. When The Lyrics are not in english, or in a latin language this is harder to do. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 18:38
Let's study languages!Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 19:02

Let's study languages!Smile

I picked up a "learn Italian in two weeks" computer program to comprehend Italian prog better  hahahhah......
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 19:18
im taking french classes but its kind of hard to remember all of those words, names, conjunctions and all that stuff

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 19:21
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

im taking french classes but its kind of hard to remember all of those words, names, conjunctions and all that stuff

hopefully you are not advanced in years.... it gets harder to learn as you get older
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 19:34

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I picked up a "learn Italian in two weeks" computer program to comprehend Italian prog better  hahahhah......

Even such things can be helpful. When you're listening to the music and understand only some words, it is better than nothing. Even few familiar words help to create some images in your head and make songs more memorable. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12