Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow exactly is Deep Purple prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How exactly is Deep Purple prog?
    Posted: February 13 2006 at 20:37

I'm a huge fan of Deep Purple, but I just cant see how they are prog, or prog related, or anything related with prog. Some people say they started heavy metal as well, but again as far as I can see they are just plain and simple classic rock. The closest thing to prog they had was doing extended jamming and improvisation.

What is your opinion are they prog or not?

Watch out where the huskies go,dont you eat that yellow snow
andYouandI45 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 21:00
Eh, they've got keyboards. I honestly don't really either.
BleedingGum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 21:18
They are not prog. 
...this is called....BleedingGum ... !
John Gargo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 21:20

You could probably argue that Ritchie Blackmore had a very classically influenced soloing style (when he wasn't performing bluesy dirges live that is), although that kind of playing wasn't really developed until he left for RAINBOW, where the medieval imagery and melodies (see Gentle Giant for the pure prog example of this) was much more pronounced.  In that respect, I'd say RAINBOW is more prog than DEEP PURPLE ever was.

But then again, if you're going to include DEEP PURPLE because of Blackmore and his style of playing, you've got to include Yngwie Malmsteen as well. 

ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 21:30

I saw Deep Purple back in 1998 and was surpised at how loud they still were. I was also surprised at how rhythm and bluesy they were.  They played for the longest time, three hours or longer.  I was deaf for two weeks, even though I was wearing like twenty or thirty decibel reduction ear plugs.  I was so deaf I even went to the audiologist to make sure there was not permanent damage to my hearing. 

Anyway, Ian Gillan sang in Jesus Christ Superstar, as you well know, and Deep Purple put out an album with an orchestra in c 1970. Supposedly, Jon Lord had classical aspirations, which were set aside for the bands climb to the top of the heavy metal heap. But you can still hear them in his playing.

Edited by ken4musiq
Lord Qwerty View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 21:30
Originally posted by John Gargo John Gargo wrote:

You could probably argue that Ritchie Blackmore had a very classically influenced soloing style (when he wasn't performing bluesy dirges live that is), although that kind of playing wasn't really developed until he left for RAINBOW, where the medieval imagery and melodies (see Gentle Giant for the pure prog example of this) was much more pronounced.  In that respect, I'd say RAINBOW is more prog than DEEP PURPLE ever was.

But then again, if you're going to include DEEP PURPLE because of Blackmore and his style of playing, you've got to include Yngwie Malmsteen as well. 

And Hendrix perhaps?

Lord Qwerty is remarkably pretentious.
John Gargo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 22:15
I hear no classical influence in Hendrix's playing.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 22:24
Originally posted by John Gargo John Gargo wrote:

I hear no classical influence in Hendrix's playing.

ditto....

John Lord has in all in his.. and Deep Purple was HIS group until thrown out of power hahahha. They are obviously well known as a hard rock/ metal whatever you want to call them, but early on.... prog without a doubt.  Along with The Nice.. one of the first to really merge classical and rock into what most people associate as prog rock. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
IcedSabbath View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 22:30
DP aren't prog, nor are they metal.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 22:34
Originally posted by IcedSabbath IcedSabbath wrote:

hmmm.... what do you classify their first 4 albums as then....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
IcedSabbath View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 22:56
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by IcedSabbath IcedSabbath wrote:

hmmm.... what do you classify their first 4 albums as then....

It's classic rock, to me. It has its progressive moments, admittedly, but I wouldn't consider it overall prog. And it's certainly not metal...
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 23:05

How exactly is anything prog?Confused

Aye -- there's the rub: "prog" is largely undefined. It was a term used by some to refer to the music of certain bands from (and during) a certain era.

Here, we reclassify some bands that were never grouped under that heading as now being "progressive," or "prog related." We even rename longstanding genres such as folk and metal to make them fit here.

These days, the newer bands that have that classic "prog" sound (IQ, etc) are arguably NOT prog, as they are NOT really "progressing" or doing anything new. A true, modern "progressive" rock band should sound very different than classic Yes, or Genesis, etc.

Anyway, all the many (and growing) categories and sub-categories that are argued over endlessly here are artificial constructs created by fans and critics -- they don't really exist. Artists tend to resist/reject our labels, and work in multiple "genres." Any really original band is, by definition, in a "category" of its own. There was only one Zappa, for example -- I think he made his own category.

I don't like the word, because it is so vague and out-dated, and because our words and labels (text, and open to interpretation) are  inadequate as a means to classify and describe music (patterns of sound and emotion). We don't even feel the same emotions as each other when we are exposed to a given piece of music. You hear pop crap -- I hear a catchy, uplifting song. I want to dance -- you want to throw up. You hear metal that motivates you, and makes you feel alive -- I hear aggressive noise that makes me feel tense, irritated, and overwhelmed. Then we try to use our words to "measure" and classify it all in a way that will be acceptable to a huge number of  individuals, each of whom brings his or her unique personality and life experience to bear upon their reaction to art.

Categories work in science and math, but they only very broadly apply in art, I think.

It is what it is, and it is subtly -- or even radically -- different for each of us.

The same problem applies to applying terms like "best," "worst," "good," "bad," "masterpiece," etc. to art/music. These concepts are in the eye -- and ear -- of the beholder.Ermm

So I can't answer your question, except to ask you, in return: "what exactly is prog?" Confused

This agonizing and arguing over genres never stops -- I believe we should try to think more like the musicians tend to -- it's all just music.Stern Smile

For the record, I'd never add Purple (a band who made much great rock, BTW) to one of my homemade prog compilations, because they're not prog, in my house. "Prog" is what you decide it is.Smile

Edited by Peter
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
bertburt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 23:28

^ That ranks as the best post I've ever read on this site to date.

Stellar thoughts, Peter!

darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 23:39
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Categories work in science and math, but they only very broadly apply in art, I think.

"Prog" is what you decide it is.Smile

(forgive me for condensing)

I totally agree with every word Peter wrote. This is why I don't classify Deep Purple as prog and Neil Young is. Just me. I keep it to myself and don't waste too much time with "is this prog/no it sucks" threads that are getting seriously boring.  

"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 23:46

I totally agree with every word Peter wrote. This is why I don't classify Deep Purple as prog and Neil Young is. Just me. I keep it to myself and don't waste too much time with "is this prog/no it sucks" threads that are getting seriously boring.  >>

I think that you touched on the reason prog die; it became so narrowly defined.  Originally, it applied to everything from The Band to Procol Harum.  Yes and Genesis were known as art rock for a while and then art rock became prog, which was a very constricted notion of what was happening musically at the time.  Is there any wonder the neo-prog bands sounded like Yes and Genesis?  Now you have prog metal, which many do not consider prog. 

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 00:31
Originally posted by bertburt bertburt wrote:

^ That ranks as the best post I've ever read on this site to date.

Stellar thoughts, Peter!

SmileThank you, bertburt. I am flattered.Embarrassed

I've been saying basically the same thing, in one form or another, almost as long as I've been a member of this forum.LOL

Art is not math or science, and language is an inadequate, inexact tool for quantifying and qualifying art.

Art needs an audience to have its effect -- you are the final, essential step in the "equation." That effect will differ for each person

The novel is just black symbols on paper until YOU read it. The painting just colour on canvas, the music just 1s and 2s arranged on a disc, until you play the disc, and listen to it. Your individual perceptions bring art to "life," and imbue it with meaning, resonance and emotion. My dog has ears and eyes, but he does not "get" music or paintings: they are random noise and arbitrary arrangements of light and dark, to him. He'll pee equally gladly on a beautiful sculpture or a rotting stump -- it's all the same to him. We humans, however bring reasoning and language to the world we experience. We name things, and describe them, but the name or the description is NOT the thing, or the essence of the thing.

Subjectivity is inescapable. For example, when I have to assign a "level" to a piece of student writing, in order to place that student at a starting point in an academic upgrading program, one of the evaluation tools uses language such as "the main idea is complex, but not well developed, or somewhat complex, and well developed." Thus, we try to impart the exactitude of math or science to language, but though we can narrow the variation in different teachers' responses/ratings with such tools (or rubrics), we cannot make all teachers always agree. Words like "complex," "well," "developed" and "somewhat," etc, are open to interpretation.

Consensus on such matters is impossible to achieve, unless we are all the same person, and unless all individual words have only one, firm, mathematically absolute meaning.

Thus, you will never find total agreement here on the categorization of music. The word is not the thing, and does not contain or control it. The various patterns of sound produce different reactions in each of us, according to our unique personalities and experiences. Play Dream Theater for a fifteen year old male, and an eighty year old woman -- their respective reactions to the music will almost certainly be hugely different, but equally valid and honest.

Broad agreement is often possible, but I believe that the more categories and sub-categories one employs -- all "defined" via language -- and the more creative, and "wide-ranging" artists are, then the more agreement and common "understanding" eludes us.

To "define" Close to the Edge, or to experience it for what it is, is to LISTEN to it (preferably in 1973, and when of a certain age range and cultural background), not to read about it.

Edited by Peter
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 00:48
Originally posted by darren darren wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

"Prog" is what you decide it is.Smile

(forgive me for condensing)

I totally agree with every word Peter wrote. This is why I don't classify Deep Purple as prog and Neil Young is. Just me. I keep it to myself and don't waste too much time with "is this prog/no it sucks" threads that are getting seriously boring.  

Sensible words and someone to agree with. I am too tired with these kind of threads and also the compare this to that... WHy not evaluate each album on its own? why not praise it on its own like some members do occasionaly (appreciation threads, I mean)? This endless comparisons are another symptom of this categorizing obsession that is possessing people. If something is not categorized then their "existence" and whole essence is in peril. Enjoy the music you love. Let it comfort you in times of need, upease you in stressful times, embrace you in hard times, entertain you when you are bored or alone, hold your most treasurable memories for you. (I'm becoming too emotional with time, its terrible...)

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 00:49
BTW - Peter, I agree with you whole heartedly
Bigfoot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 01:01
Those four albums listed in the archive can be considered prog, if
your guideline is not so strict. Everybody can agree that they
definetly experimented during that period with mixed outcome, but,
then there is a fine line between being experimental and being prog.
Another matter to consider is quality, whatever that means. They
were not able to achieve the musical quality that was reached by
contemporary, "mainstream" prog band. To summarize their output
in the first 4 or 5 albums, it was moderately successful heavy rock
with a dash of prog. So far I sound quite down on them. However,
Child in time, IMHO, is a prog masterpiece.
-J-
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 04:56
They were probably semi prog. They weren't hard rock and they weren't rock n roll. They were a classical/jazz influenced rock band, but more on the heavy rock side. But they were cool ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>