FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnquiet Slumbers - Afterglow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unquiet Slumbers - Afterglow
    Posted: February 14 2006 at 14:41

Would anyone agree with me when saying that the last three connecting songs on Wind and Wuthering contains some of the best music on any Genesis album?

I think it's amazing, so atmospheric too.

'Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers... In That Quiet Earth... Afterglow'

Wind & Wuthering

And it fits with the albums cover so perfectly

My computer's broke
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 16:33

Yes, I'd agree with that. I love WAW and those three tracks round the album off perfectly.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Winter Wine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 16:38
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Yes, I'd agree with that. I love WAW and those three tracks round the album off perfectly.

Yay, someone wrote back to my silly little thread

I think those tracks i've mentioned and the first two on the album are some of the best Genesis tracks, certaintly in the top 20

Oh yeah I reviewed 'Wind and Wuthering' today if you want to look

My computer's broke
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 16:49

^ Yeah, I'll check out your review, WW.

Eleventh Earl of Mar isone of my favourite album openers, so dramatic! Apparently it took Tony Banks a year to put One for the Vine together. How do you think that songs rates alongside his other 'epics'?

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Winter Wine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 17:00
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^ Yeah, I'll check out your review, WW.

Eleventh Earl of Mar isone of my favourite album openers, so dramatic! Apparently it took Tony Banks a year to put One for the Vine together. How do you think that songs rates alongside his other 'epics'?

Well, it could be his best couldn't it? I mean the guy has written some excellent songs for the group. I believe he was the chief when it came to Firth of Fifth! He also wrote Mad Man Moon, Afterglow, A Trick of the Tail, Cul De Sac by himself and they're all great! I'm pretty sure he wrote Home by the Sea too, the greatest Genesis track from Abacab onwards. So One for the Vine is certaintly one of his best. A year though!!

My computer's broke
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 22:16
^ well WW, he said he pieced it together from lots of silly little pieces of music, that he knew wouldn't make the album unless all in one song, and he wanted them all there
The Letter M View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 22:35
I love the whole ending "suite"/epic of Wind & Wuthering! It's one of my favorite Album-ending songs.

It's return of previous motifs from Eleventh Earl Of Mar harkens back to their previous 3 albums where returning motifs are played near the end of the album, but here, they do it exceptionally well. I would take "In That Quiet Earth" over "Los Endos" any day, and especially more so with the other two parts surrounding it.

-Marc.
I know what I like and I like what I know. I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose free will. If I die tomorrow, I`d be alright because I believe that after we`re gone, the spirit carries on.
Moribund View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 03:46
Um no, never did it for me these last tracks. I found them a little tedious compared to earlier Genesis instrumentals (After the Ordeal, Hairless Heart). Afterglow has grown on me - maybe not incredibly prog, but a huge epic of a song. One for the Vine is magnificent: a true Genesis classic, as is Blood on the Rooftops. I can happily ignore the rest most of the time and would curl up with Trick of the Tail any night... but that's another thread.
New Progressive Rock Live show now touring UK theatres!
www.masterpiecestheconcert.co.uk
Emiaj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 11:10
W&W..great album..would have been better without "Your own special way" which is boring IMO as I always skip that track..I burnt a CD with Inside and Out instead of that one and it flows superb..the three last tracks make a perfect ending..I prefer Afterglow ending live since there's an interesting bass and more keyboards..but I agree with ya..great way to finish a beautiful album
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 11:20

Afterglow was an immediate pleaser with me when I bought the album as it cameout, but nowadays I cannot stand it anymore. I would not say it is unworthy of them, but it certainly ranks with the less complicated tracks as Carpet Crawler, I Know What etc... Still acceptable

But the real stinker on this album is the unsufferably long (and awfully stupid tear-jerker) Your Own Special Way. I am sure Banks allowed this crap to last twice the time it had to just to block yrt another Hackett track. There was plenty of tension with Hackett having tons of tracks ready, but Banks was being a bitch about who got the credits (this was fairly common in those years in every group) and asked Rutherford to double its lenght (let's fave it even clocking at two minutes, this stinker would still be too long)

This probably was the drop that overflowed the bucket and prompted Hackett to leave the band (instead of keeping a parallel solo career)

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply