Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Recommend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 15:06

Lesovation,

You mentioned Orphaned Land. Mabool is a great album. I love the rest of their stuff as well, but it is more straight death metal with their usual mid-easten/arab influences. They sing in Hebrew, Arabic, English. Mabool is quite different from their previous efforts and rightfully so, since it has been released 7 years after they disbanded and each member went to his own. One became a Microsoft software engineer with a wife and daughter, another went on a spiritual journey to India and one became a religious orthodox and disconnected all previous liasons with them. Then finally 2 of them (Kobi the singer and Yossi from MS) decided to regroup and came up with the idea of creating a background story to the biblical tale of the flood (Mabool means hard heavy pouring rain which usually causes a flood). Then they thought up of the story of Seven (representing God) which has three sons which represent all three major religions and their srtuggles and strifes etc.

Mabool represents a reincarnation of Orphaned Land. Hopefully it will last in the next album to be produced by Steven Wilson.

http://www.orphaned-land.com/default.php?language=en

lesovation View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesovation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 21:42

Whoa! Outstanding stuff. I had no idea about the members, just liked the music. Thanks for the insight, its appreciated.

To be prduced by Steven Wilson, huh? That should work, he's done alright with PT and Opeth's stuff, I would have to say.

Got an odd one for the PA community today. This is a little known but deserving piece of work. It is progressive and original in the true sense of the words. Very avante-garde and experimental. This will not be for everyone one, however. It is dark and complex, at times almost tribal, at times a vortex of sound, often electronic, at other times sultry. Most of this stuff is out there a ways. It is very layered with some really odd time signatures.

It features an exceptional Warr guitar player. (If you are not familiar with this instrument, watch for a thread coming soon, to a forum near you!) He plays a 14 string model. Since you only touch the string to the neck on these instruments, both hands are free to play totally different things. (There is no picking.) This basically allows him to be playing an 8 string guitar and a 6 string base at the same time. He does it very well.

There are several people out there that play these types of guitars, of course. Trey Gunn plays only Warr guitars and Tony Levin has been using a stick off and on forever. But I digress. Back to what I started mumbling about 2 paragraphs ago.

The name of the band is 99 Names of god. Their website is: www.99namesofgod.com as you would expect. You can see some cheesy videos of them playing on their site. Even thought the sound and visual quality of the videos are bad, you can get an idea of what they are like there. The also have a myspace page which plays some of their music, as well. That is at www.myspace.com/99namesofgod as you would also expect.

If you are the type who really enjoys some of King Crimson's improv stuff, for example, you really ought to check this band out. It is a Warr guitar player, who also does all of the electronics and loop work, a female vocalist / keys player and a drummer on Roland V drums. They create an amazing amount of sound for a trio. It has an improv feeling to it, but it is all very carefully stuctured. They also sound exactly the same live.

The only place that I am aware of to buy their CD is at Amazon.com. Just go there and do a search for 99 names of god. The name of the CD is Interwoven. As far as I know, it is the only one they have out. It is from 2003. Rare piece of work.

Again, this is pretty unusual material. Those who dislike it are likey to stongly dislike it. For those who can get into it, it just keeps getting better with each listen for a long time.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a novel!

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 23:25

Now, that's what I'm talking about. Discovering new and if possible mostly unknown bands with an original take on music.

Thanks, Les, I will definitely listen to this. You got me curious there.

Don't worry about length of posts. Write what you need, no matter the length.

Anyway, not a recomm, but thoughts I had on my way to work while listening to Metaepitome by OVERHEAD (btw, I got their first release Zumanthum).

I was thinking Overhead's sound is actually modern rock with prog elements and attitude to it with the symphonic genre being its main influence. Than I compared it in my mind to two other contemporary bands - SINKADUS and WOBBLER. (Notice they come from the 3 Scandinavian countries; Overhead is from Finland, Sinkadus from Sweden and Wobbler from Norway). Points for originality here, and for performance as well. THe musical ideas are very good and the music itself is beautiful.

Sinkadus is in the symphonic genre playing music that varies between classic symphonic bits a-la Genesis to King Crimson guitar lead parts and even to sometimes (you're gonna laugh about this I'm sure) parts that sound as if a post rock band decided to play their music while incorporating symphonic elements in it (start laughing ) - the second track in Cirkus has a part like that in the middle of the song for instance (don't remembe the exact time, sorry). They still manage to sound contemporate, even though you hear their influences, and their combniations gives their music an originality. Again I like many of their msucial themes and ideas. Beautiful music, especially Cirkus.

And then you have Wobbler. What do we have in here - ELP, Genesis, Gentle Giant to mention some. Vintage symphonic prog. The album Hinterland in itself is very good, no dount about it. The question is, do you want to redo and listen again to stuff that has already been done? I for one do, but others here may not (I think I know at least one here ). So not many points for originality here, although the fourth track - Clair Obscur, is showing them being perhapse more creative. In spite of all of this, I don't think anyone can achieve this level of musical composition and create this excellent symphonic prog release.

So, what d oyou think? 

Do you prefer bands that keep recreating the old sound? Do you appreciate originality and different takes on previous musical achievements? Do you think Hinteland is any less good because of its vintage approach? Do you think Overhead's approach is better than Sinkadus's or the opposite?

I feel posts of "what the hell are you talking about" and "you are an ignorant idiot" are coming after this...

ANyway, A good day/night to all PA members.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 01:13

Now for something quite different from the above mentioned bands.

The band is AHVAK from Israel who have released so far their self titled album Ahvak in 2004.

Chaotic, emotional, crazy, melancholic - this is some of the array of feelings this band manages to convey in this album. As the reviews here say, tracks 3 and 7 are kind of fillers and unessential, but the others more than make up for it. Vivisection is like music to accompany you to a madman's brain. RIO/Avant-Garde at its best. The music tends to be brutal and eccentric. They know very well what they are doing and play very good, creating hunting "melodies". It is a very good debut album, IMO. As another reviewer stated, the production is very clean and he finds it emotionless. There is merit to this claim, but maybe this is what they were after.

A word of warning - It might be difficult to gt into this initially. It is not meant to be a friendly album. Rather a complex and full of emotions journey that the band members take you through.

Track listing
1. Vivisektia (8:30)
2. Bherta (8:25)
3. Regaim (2:41)
4. Ahvak (16:21)
5. Melet (2:53)
6. Hamef Ahakim (13:32)
7. Pirzool (0:58)

Total Time: 53:20

Line-up
- Yehuda Kollon / guitars
- Ishay Sommer bass
- Udi Susser / keyboards, woodwinds, vocals, baglama, darbooka
- Roy Yarkoni / keyboards, piano
- Dave Kerman / drums, percussion
- Udi Koomran / computer

Recognize any name? hint - he plays drums and percussions and was in PRESENT, THINKING PLAGUE, 5UU'S and U TOTEM.

Enjoy

yeppp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yeppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 06:13
Pan Sonic- Kesto       
Stars Of The Lid- Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid
David Sylvian- Snow Borne Sorrow

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 06:26

^^^

Thanks for sharing.

Can you elaborate a little please? Who are they, what style of music do they play? what albums did they release, are they currentl;y active , links to their sites, etc.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 07:41

Funny, someone just posted a review of Ahvak.

Take a look:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=72109

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 01:30

The Saturday routine - a day dedicated to a certain subject.

Two weeks ago it was Italian symphonic day, last week a VDGG day.

And today....

South American day.

Not much credit is given in this site to the music from this part of the world. I hate to refer to it as South American because there is much diversity there and to treat it as one sort of music is humiliating, offensive and disrespectful. But I think in order to get attention to that I think I can allow myself to categorize it as one. I apologize to all those offended.

I would appreciate it if Cesar Inca, Atkingani, ivan_2068 and also Chamberry and Anael. I know Mexico and Puerto Rico is not South America, but you have proven your knowledge here, and I am sure you have many things to contribute. would join us here and give us their recomm's, since I myself am not well versed in this field of prog.

Recommended stuff by country:

Argentina:

AGNUS (already recommende that one if you remember)

AMAGRAMA (that one as well)

BUBU (excellent release they have. A must)

ESPIRITU

MIA

SUPERNOVA

CRUCIS (excellent)

MÁQUINA DE HACER PÁJAROS, LA

Brazil:

ALPHA III

ANGRA

BACAMARTE (Depois do Fim is an essential album)

TERÇO, O

MUTANTES, OS

CASA DAS MAQUINAS

MINDFLOW

RECORDANDO O VALE DAS MAÇĂS

A BARCA DO SOL

SHAAMAN

Peru:

FLOR DE LOTO (very good prog folk)

FRAGIL

LAGHONIA

(this needs reinforcements)

Chile:

AKINETÓN RETARD (very good)

ANGULART (relatively new band. Check out the interview wth them here in the interview section)

ERGO SUM

EXSIMIO

JAIVAS, LOS (the classic prog folk band. Legendary status)

MATRAZ

SARAX

ENTRANCE

TRYO

Venezuela:

PIG FARM ON THE MOON

KRÉ

ESTRUCTURA

TEMPANO

ODRAREG

FICCION

Uruguay:

TIRELLI, ARMANDO

What about Ecuador, Paraguay and Colombia? Anyone knows bands from there?

Please, take time to explore these. I promise a very rewarding experience.

I won't bother you with my playlist of the day, it consists much of what is mentioned above.

Good day / night to PA forum members.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 02:20

I'll try to help you with the Peruvian bands:

Our country had a very fertile Psyche/Proto Prog scenario, and I believe in those years we were ahead of the rest of the sub-continent, IMO the two best bands were Laghonia and Traffic Sound:

Laghonia: The only band is South Americathat had a Hammond B3 back in the late 60's, they evolved from Psychedelic to Progressive Rock in a lapse of months, but this was because their albums were recorded in a year period with material they had gathered for several years. Almost unknown even in Perú until they turned into a POP band but had the decency to change their name to We All Together:

I sincerely encourage to buy:

1971 5.00
Essential: a masterpiece of progressive music
(2 ratings)
EtCetera Studio Album

Really Progressive album, outstanding music and sung in English by a USA vocalist (David Levane). Don't get the compilation because it's not good. 

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=2144

Traffic Sound: The most iconic band of Peruvian Proto Prog scenario, they were so popular that an airline paid them to do a tour in Argentina and Brazil, outstanding music hard to describe. They havelyrics in English also and the pronunciation is pretty good except in a couple of songs where they joke.

It's hard to get their orgiginal albums, but it's worth:

1969 4.00
Excellent addition to any prog music collection
(1 ratings)
Virgin Studio Album
1970 5.00
(1 ratings)
Traffic Sound (Also known as III or Tibet's Suzettes) Studio Album

If it's too hard to find them, try with one of this compilations recently released, they have the essential material:

2005 not rated Yellow Sea Years 1968-1971 Boxset / Compilation
2005 not rated Greatest Hits - Traffic Sound Boxset / Compilation

I would go with Greatest hits.

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=2156

During the symphonic Prog years, there was a band that started making covers of Genesis, Yes, Tull, Led Zepellin but turned into the most successful and developed band, I'm talking about FRÁGIL, very influenced by Genesis mostly but also by Yes and Tull, the problem is that their lyrics are in Spanish.

Go with this two albums, both are easy to find:

Again, don't let the date of release fool you, the music of Avenida Larco is from 1976 to 1978, but they only found a sponsor (PANTEL: A Tv station) in 1981, so it's not even remotely Neo Prog, it's 100% Sy,mphonic.

1981 4.11
(9 ratings)
Avenida Larco Studio Album

2002 4.63
(8 ratings)
Sorpresa Del Tiempo Live

Sorpresa del Tiempo is mostly Avenida Larco with a Philarmonic Orchestra. OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=113

I can't talk about Flor de Lotto because they are not my cup of tea, maybe Cesar Inca can talk more about them.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 04:59

^^^

Thank you very much, Ivan.

I will definitely look for these recommendations.

lesovation View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesovation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 12:20
My only recommendation at the moment is to keep this great thread going! I now have more great bands to check into than I know what to do with. Excellent suggestions, much appreciated.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 18:25
Thanks avestin, Iván etc. for all the recommendations about South American prog...  I must admit, I know next to nothing about this side of prog ...

I thought I'd recommend something as well for a change.

This artist isn't even in the archives, but that's probably due to the fact that he only made one "true" prog album.

Jukka Tolonen - Tolonen!

Jukka Tolonen is probably best known for being the guitarist in Tasavallan Presidentti (one of the most famous Finnish prog bands), but he did release many brilliant solo records as well. Tolonen! was his first solo album, and it is certainly his best effort, recorded back in 1971 when the man was only 19-years old!!! He is joined by absolutely the best rock musicians in Finland, bandmate Pekka Pöyry, and almost all of the guys from Wigwam (Jukka Gustavson, Pekka Pohjola, Ronnie Österberg).

The music presented here is an amazing blend of instrumental prog-rock and jazz .... His style is not really comparable to other artists IMO. Of course, on some level it could be compared to his band TP, especially their Lambertland album (without the vocals), but Tolonen's approach to music is rather unique. The first track Elements - Earth, Fire, Water, Air shows all the different aspects that made him so great: Highly energetic guitar playing (but no showing-off), beautiful wind instruments, classically inspired piano playing etc. Brilliant stuff! A must for anyone into jazz-rock, and it's probably one of my top 10 ... (from any genre!)

His second solo album Summer Games (1973) was already quite different, still very good, but much more jazz-oriented (and highly acoustic), with influences from Indian classical music. Tolonen also did his share of somewhat mediocre blues-rock releases during his career later on, but that's another story!

I'll try to recommend something that is not from Finland next time...
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 01:14

^^^

Thanks for that, Toni. I'll look it up.

BTW, I tried out Uzva as you recommended, and I really like a lot!

Shame I did not try it before. (for those interested, Jimbo recommnede it on page 2 or 3).

I have some candidates as well for the next recomm', one of them is a very good one from Poland and it is not the usual Polish suspects Riverside, Abraxas, Satellite or Collage.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 01:51

Now that we're talking about Prog in other countries I want to comment that just added OSIBISA, the Ghanian band formed by musicians of this African country and Central America.

The people who know their late career may feel strange, but I ask to listen this trilogy (Specially the first two):

1971 4.00
(1 ratings)
OSIBISA Studio Album
1971 not rated Woyaya Studio Album
1972 not rated Heads Studio Album

OSIBISA the debut album is simply outstanding, they blend Psyche/Proto Prog/Jazz/Raggae/Afro Folk and many other styles to create something absolutely special.

I know we must not buy an album because of it's cover, but due to the fact that Roger Dean is always very careful with who does he work with is also a reccomendation for the self titled rlelease and the even better Woyaya.

Heads the third album is a bit more oriented towards mainstream, but it's still worth to listen.

Iván

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 01:58

^^^

Funny I was just reading your review about OSIBISA, it made me want to hear straight away. Now I am really intrigued. I admit, I have never heard of them.

I am without knowledge in this field. Are there ant African prog bands, Ivan?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 02:48

Really I know very little of African Prog, except for OSIBISA's first three studio albums and the double Live one which are all outstanding.

There was another band called The Africa 70 with Ginger Baker who played with Fella Ransome Kutti a Nigerian musician who was very close to Prog  before joining Baker, but they were more oriented towards Funk or Afro Beat.

There's also the Afro Celt Sound System (appeared in Peter Gabriel's WOMAD) who blend Celtic music with African Rhythms, but it's not exclusively African and not really Prog.

Jean Luc Ponty played the album Tchokola with excellent African Musicians, even when the album was one of his weakest, because he never really blended both genres.

Peter Gabriel has played with outstanding African musicians as Jean Claude Naimro (Afro Caribbean), Papa Wemba, Reddy Mela Amissi, Styno Mubi and Matadi with African roots

Honestly it's hard to find an African Prog band, even when I remember reading something about a band from Pretoria, but I don't know if it's formed by British decendants or really African black musicians.

But try the first two OSIBISA albums, I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Iván

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 12:15

Maybe you don't know, but Brazil is today the 3rd CD market in the world (losing only for USA and Japan). Fortunately the number of releases is great nowadays and we have also fair facilities to get import releases.

I recommend the following site to be visited (it's in English, but there's a version in Portuguese too). Rock Symphony is also a label, specialized in progressive music, with many releases from Brazil and Spanish America bands. Choosing the country you go directly where you want.

http://www.rocksymphony.com/english/

Good hunt, pals.

Guigo

~~~~~~
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 12:18

Thanks to our Collaborators for sharing their knowledge. I hope to see you here often. I still hope Cesar will contribute a post (I PMed him).

Anyway, after the 80's threads started up by DallasBryan I started going over 80's releases and there is actually very good stuff from that era, that is really excellent prog and not Neo-prog as is usually thought of when thinking about this era.

There is the excellent must have album Anabelas by BUBU (don't remember if I recommended it. If not, Get it. I can compare it to Ys by IL BALLETTO DI BRONZO, another essential album).

But what I really wanted to mention here is the album Marsbéli Krónikák (Martian Chronicles)  by Hungarians SOLARIS from 1984, based on the book The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, if I am not mistaken.

This a dynamic album but the music is not complex. There are three dominant instruments sharing the fromt stage - a flute, electric guitar and heavy synth. while the flute give the album its more elegant side the synth give it a bombastic element aided by the guitar. The msuci is most of the time relentless and always on the move keeping the listener in this Martian world till the end of the album.  

Well worth checking out, as well as other fine 80's prog releases.

http://www.solarismusic.com/

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 16:52

Thanks to the Japanese prog thread I got acquainted with several more Japanese groups.

One of them is INTERPOSE who released in 2005 the album Interpose+.

Labeled here under symphonic prog, this is not covering their entire spectrum (as is the case for white willow), since not only there are clear elements of the symphonic genre, but also a strong jazz rock side to their music.

For their history & biography I leave you to read it in their page here in PA. It is quite long interesting. They create very pleasent atmospheres in their pieces. Some songs have the female vocalist Sayuri Aruga doing a very good work. There is a violin in Dayflower played by Akihisa Tsuboy from KBB and it sounds very good, adding much to the song. Zitensia, is very much a jazz rock song, excellent guitar work by Renji Tanaka  and as Erik says in his review, it evokes a little Mahavishnu Orchestra (not a clone, but reminds a bit). THe last track, Last Sign, is extraordinary with the same jazz rock feel plus a hammond organ giving the music a groovy and slightly majestic feel to it.       The production is good ant not sterile clean, so there is this crisp to it, unlike some other contemporary groups who prefer clean production.

All in all, a very good combination of symphonic and jazz-rock album. I can't wait for their next release.

Their website:

http://www.interpose.jp/

Get this!

DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DallasBryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 18:52

no offense, but upon close inspection I find Solaris in the same category with other eastern block bands from the same period, ie- Omega and Tako, following the trend of mid 70's Eela Craig from Austria, encompassing many styles and catchy as a whole. But with the time frame being early to mid 80's, I find their sound on the CHEEZY SIDE. Others may not have this opionion but I think by the 80's the really progressive sound was more mature.

Just my view on the progression of music.

Edited by DallasBryan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 112>