Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Recommend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eppingforest181 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eppingforest181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 00:59
New to PA, and am on a quest to find some new prog metal bands that i can actually dig.
I'm a huge sx fan love cm too (although nine was less than spectacular) dt and opeth are pretty good too.
I also like early queensryche, and fates warning,

any suggestions...
merid1en View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merid1en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 19:06
Try the Great Deception by Seconds Before Landing (2013). Don't know why it's not part of the Progarchives library
People are wrong when they say opera is not what it used to be. It is what it used to be. That is what's wrong with it
Noel Coward
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 16:34
Unreservedly this.... could be one of my top 2013 albums

Verbal Delirium have released their second album on a Name-your-price basis, please give this your attention!!!

http://verbaldelirium.bandcamp.com/

a mix of crossover and eclectic if you ask me
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Mystical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 05:38
Originally posted by Eppingforest181 Eppingforest181 wrote:

New to PA, and am on a quest to find some new prog metal bands that i can actually dig.
I'm a huge sx fan love cm too (although nine was less than spectacular) dt and opeth are pretty good too.

any suggestions...

I recommend Pagan's Mind. Thumbs Up
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Mystical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 05:39
I highly recommend Mystery's album "The World is a Game". 
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
PH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 01:40
Originally posted by Eppingforest181 Eppingforest181 wrote:

opeth are pretty good too.
any suggestions...

Give a try.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6328
garydave View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garydave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 19:46

Forgive me if you have heard these already,im just getting into modern prog...

Chroma key
OSi
Pineapple thief
Pigeon toe
Conception (prog?) bloody good band
City boy (old pop prog)

I use mp3va and listen to each track before downloading,i dont tend to buy or download whole cds anymore.

Cheers :o)

garydave View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garydave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 20:41

The four horsemen vocal by Demis rousoss very good track and lp :O)

garydave View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garydave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 21:02
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Today's recommendation is SUPERTRAMP. 

Heres a great band `City boy` simular to queen,in fact i think queen stole there thunder.... :O)

SUPERTRAMP are a wonderful crossover prog group that incorporate various wind instruments in their overall sound including the great saxophone, which isn't a common instrument in prog. 

3 albums I recommend to get a nice definitive look at the incredible light heartily talented SUPERTRAMP, really is. 

1) EVEN IN THE QUIESTEST MOMENTS( a wonderful album where the grand piano is featured so strongly.) 
2) CRIME OF THE CENTURY ( probably their best album with a bit more of a serious feel at times) 
3) BROTHER WHERE YOU BOUND? ( my favourite album and their most proggy album to date.) 

So enjoy this terrific, classic band. And make sure to crank the music through a nice pair of headphones, so you can appreciate hearing every little nook and crany of instrumentation performed. Grab the remastered copies if you don't have one. I upgraded. They were dirt cheap. :)
Please recommend us something we don't know about ... something obscure, mayhaps. (I think) I made the same "mistake" the first few times I posted here.
Eppingforest181 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eppingforest181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 22:29
Thanks for the suggestion, Pagans mind are definitely a pretty solid band. vocals are good, and are accompanied by some stellar riffing
RedNightmareKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedNightmareKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 18:21
I highly, highly recommend Radar men from the Moon. They're an instrumental space-rock band from the Netherlands, and feature a very retro-psych sound. Both their albums are available for free on Bandcamp. RMFTM is on PA, but their newest album has not been added yet.

http://radarmenfromthemoon.bandcamp.com/
I consider drone metal to be progressive...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 18:28
^Downloading now, thanksThumbs Up
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 19:44
Well I recently got Combat Astronomy - Dreams No Longer Hesitate on the recommendation of Udi Koomran. It's extremely heavy avant doom zeuhl featuring the vocals of Elaine DiFalco (Thinking Plague). It's a monster & may be dominating my listening for the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - March 29 2013 at 19:45
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
ProgEpics View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgEpics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 22:39
forgive durden - razia's shadow. its basically a concept album inspired by musicals and whatnot. if you like the dear hunter you will really enjoy it
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
Wolfhound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 00:33
I don't listen to a whole lot of prog type metal but I highly recommend Entities by Pomegranate Tiger. Seriously blew my freakin' mind. Reminiscent of Chimp Spanner, Scale the Summit, Animals as Leaders with a hint of Dream Theater. I saw this listed in the new releases section of the Prog Archives site and checked it out for the cover alone. A very impressive prog metal debut from this group.
kaptcha View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaptcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 11:19
Thumbs Up
RedNightmareKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedNightmareKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 15:27
Another forgotten gem here on PA is the almighty desert rockers Colour Haze. I feel they should be under Psych/Space, but due to their German roots are filed under krautrock. They dabble in stoner/doom, psychedelic, progressive, and hard rock. Their latest release, "She Said", is a monolithic double CD chock full of memorable riffs and great vocals from Stefan Koglek.

My recommended starting albums-
Colour Haze (2004)
She Said (2012)
Los Sounds de Krauts (2003)
All (2008)
I consider drone metal to be progressive...
mataev View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mataev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 13:03
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 22:44
I haven;t seen anyone mention these guys since I've been on board about 2 months now...
Hypnos 69 -Legacy
Hypnos 69 Legacy album cover
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 22:06
I recommend.

ZOMBIE. Great Electronic prog band with a retro sound with the use of synthesizers.

An album I highly recommend is SPIRIT ANIMAL. I recently wrote a review on it as well if anyone is interested. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 112>