Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind
    Posted: February 25 2006 at 20:41

Hey I got Space Ritual, Hall of the Mountain Grill and Doremi... recently and loved them! Can I get some recommendations on where to go next in their massive discography.

Also if someone could recommend me some spacey or psychadelic prog metal bands (or non prog but still metal) in the vein of Pelican, Kayo Dot/Maudlin of the well, Riverside, late era Porcupine Tree. (Dont say Electric Wizard or Kyuss )

Thanks

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of some Flute and Voice (Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) albums please PM me! Many thanks!
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 21:03

Hawkwind's discography is complicated - there are so many bootlegs. But from the official and recognized discography I'd recommend "Warrior On The Edge Of Time", "Levitation" and "Choose Your Masques", among several other amazing albums.

Guigo

~~~~~~
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 22:36
Warrior on the Edge of Time is essential.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 22:53
Try Ozric Tentacles , if you like Hawkwind I think you need to check Ozric`s out  ! (that is if you havent already)   walrus333  

Edited by s1ipp3ry
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 04:13
Originally posted by walrus333 walrus333 wrote:

Hey I got Space Ritual, Hall of the Mountain Grill and Doremi... recently and loved them! Can I get some recommendations on where to go next in their massive discography.

Also if someone could recommend me some spacey or psychadelic prog metal bands (or non prog but still metal) in the vein of Pelican, Kayo Dot/Maudlin of the well, Riverside, late era Porcupine Tree. (Dont say Electric Wizard or Kyuss )

Thanks

They do have a huge discography, but you cant actually get most of them anymore, and to be honest they are very hit and miss.

All the albums mentioned here are certainly among the best of their albums. I would only add to the list; 'Live Chronicles' 'Sonic Attack' and 'Chronicle of the Blacksword' and 'Dont Panic: Live at Stonehenge 1984' (the lastter is 50% excellent and 50% awful IMO)

I really like the Bob Calvert fronted albums from the late 70's, but most Hawkfans dont seem to share my enthusiam for Bob Calverts contribution..

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Typography View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 04:43
Pelican and all those similar bands are basically around today due to a
group called Neurosis. They are amazing. If you haven't yet heard
Yeti, you also need to hear them. They sort of prog-doom. Then
theres Tarantula Hawk, who are equally amazing and sort of similar
to Yeti.

Basically go check to the Neurot Recordings website (http://
www.neurotrecordings.com) and look through the bands. Lots of good
stuff.
Typography View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 05:01
Oh... If you're into more extreme metal Cynic's one album "Focus" is
an amazing death-prog-jazz album with a really spacey feel.

And how could I forget Intronaut. Their first EP "Null" comes out on
tuesday. I've seen this band play 3 or 4 times (EP release party last night
where they played awesome new material) and they never cease to amaze
me. Not so spacey, but brilliant. Possibly the best metal band around
today.
Agemo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 05:24
I can recommend "In search of space". If you are looking for similar music, you should try the album "Live" by Group 1850. It is recorded in 1969 and it has some great heavy, spacey music on it.
Dona Nobis Pacem
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 05:36
as a real Hawkfan I have to say they hardly made any albums that I think are bad; everyone has something I like, and some are just fantastic. in my opinion "Alien 4" is highly recommended, as well as the accompanying live album "Love in Space". also don't miss "Electric Teepee". I name these albums to show Hawkwind had something to offer way beyond the 70s

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 05:40
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Thanks

They do have a huge discography, but you cant actually get most of them anymore

not true; most are available on the band's own website and in decent record shops; the only album there seems to be a problem with is "Warrior at the Edge of Time" (which is HIGHLY recommended, by the way), and even that one is available from Amazon, albeit used only.
about 2/3 of the albums in Hawkwind's discography should be removed from the archives, by the way; they seem to be "official", but are in essence bootleg compilations, juggling the same material around again and again. unfortunately the band can do nothing against it, since they don't have the rights to this material, but I personally think it would be in the spirit of this site to remove them

Edited by BaldJean

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 06:30
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Thanks

They do have a huge discography, but you cant actually get most of them anymore

not true; most are available on the band's own website and in decent record shops; the only album there seems to be a problem with is "Warrior at the Edge of Time" (which is HIGHLY recommended, by the way), and even that one is available from Amazon, albeit used only.
about 2/3 of the albums in Hawkwind's discography should be removed from the archives, by the way; they seem to be "official", but are in essence bootleg compilations, juggling the same material around again and again. unfortunately the band can do nothing against it, since they don't have the rights to this material, but I personally think it would be in the spirit of this site to remove them

Warrior is indeed a great album. It's one of the first Hawkwind albums I bought years ago..

I'll have to take a look at their website, it's been a while. I've had trouble getting any of the Calvert albums on CD (I've had the vinyl for years) but the last time I saw PXR5 was on e-bay, going for £75  I know what you mean about bootlegs and unofficial releases, and I've found that although there is Hawkwind I really love, they can be very inconsistent in terms of production, musicianship and in their ability to develop ideas.

I think their best line up was 'potentially' Brock/Calvert/Shaw/House & King - although I do think that 'Hall..' through to 'PXR5' would have benefitted from a better drummer...

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 08:19
I recommend you "In Search Of Space" (1971) and "Warrior On The Edge Of Time" (1975). Try also their self-titled debut album released in 1970, even if it sounds more folk-rock than space rock.
AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 08:42
Just like most people here I have to recommend 'Warrior On The Edge Of Time'. Very worthwhile are also: 'Astounding Sounds Amazing Music', 'Quark Strangeness And Charm', 'Xenon Codex' and 'Alien 4'. Once you get started on Hawkwind it ain't easy to stop.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 12:12
I'd say that 'Warrior On The Edge Of Time' is their masterpiece- only 'Levitation', another must have, is anywhere near as cohesive amongst their studio albums, but their 70s output is generally all top notch and you can't go too wrong.
Eddy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 12:29

when i first got on prog arhcives. i asked this very same question. get warrior of time, (its kinda h ard to find. if you get that, youll have there calssic albums(prob there best. If your really interested in them ( I am!) get levethian. !!!!

Also Im pretty god damn sure whoever likes Hawkwind also likes amon duul II, so get phessi dei, panzer de lemming and if you like that, make an amoon duul thread heheh!

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 12:29

Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I'd say that 'Warrior On The Edge Of Time' is their masterpiece- only 'Levitation', another must have, is anywhere near as cohesive amongst their studio albums, but their 70s output is generally all top notch and you can't go too wrong.

Yes, exactly what I said in my reviews. "Warrior" is a 5-stars album and "Levitation" should receive a 4.5-stars, if it were possible.

I found the original "Warrior" in a shop, near home. I didn't know it was difficult to get.

BTW, it's good to know that Hawk's fans are numerous here.

Guigo

~~~~~~
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 15:29
Yeah I found the original UK Dojo CD of the album many years ago- it's not been available here for years though; it must be one of the most in demand prog CDs by some way. I imagine there are lots of bootlegs floating about of the album though...
 Post Reply Post Reply