Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Meaning of The Name Porcupine Tree

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Meaning of The Name Porcupine Tree
    Posted: March 06 2006 at 09:25

Why the name Porcupine?

In agreement  with Schopenhauer parable, some porcupine´s come together on a very cold winter day, in order to share each other’s warmth. But when they’re pricked by each other’s quills, they move apart, because they can´t avoid the pain. Oscillating between these two situations, they had finished for having to find a acceptable distance between them, in order to become the situation  supportable.

In similar way, the society necessity pulls the human beings, ones for the others, but it´s defects and bad qualities , move away them again.  

It is concluded that Steven Wilson when decided  to give the name for the band opted for the name Porcupine because of that parable, I believe that in his youth he feel like a porcupine because he want to do what he wants in music, and not what others want.

And you ask,why he chose Tree to add to Porcupine?

The Tree is the home studio that when in the beginning, alone, with his solitude  he created the sound that he wants, very different of that sound that it was played in the ends of the 80´s and beginnings of 90´s.
The Tree is the refuge!

Steven Wilson giving this name to his band proves that he have a pure brilliant thought mind.

Compliments,  

Samuel  

Link - http://www.porcupinetreeforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?nu m=1141603530

Brilliant!

Musak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 06:43

it could be... Schopenauer had a high conception of music in human life (I made an essay about him for my final High School exam )...

* My eyes are full but my face is empty *
jefmoret View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 08:50
..and here I was just thinking it was a play on "Pine Tree"...
 Post Reply Post Reply