Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpayne’s grey - infinity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: payne’s grey - infinity
    Posted: March 07 2006 at 13:59
Does anyone own this album?

Any opinions?

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 17:24

I want to check it out too. Im trying to download something from that one and their other album, Kadath Decoded!

Anyone heard about this band??

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 17:28
They're quite good. But the albums are extremely rare ... from what I know they recorded KAdath Decoded themselves and it was never officially released.
bundy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 08:08

I have both albums. Infinity is only about31 minutes long so is not much more than an EP. Four of the five tracks were recorded as demos in 1991. It's a pretty decent aquisition.

Kadath Decoded is aboslutelt essential for any prog metal fan. It's a concept album based on the HP Lovecraft novel of the same name. It is easily one of the 2 or 3 best prog emtal albums ever IMO.right up there with the very best of Dream Theater, in fact I think it has a bit more variety than most of DTs stuff. The whole album has a very dark feel to it which is in keeping with Lovecraft's stories. The album features a lot of flute and one of the early tracks has a bit of a Latin feel to it. The album builds to a real crescendo. The production quality is stunning and Hagen Schmidt the vocalist has a stunning voice. The second half of the album does become a bit self indulgent but there is certainly none of the cheese that so often lets down many fine met prog metal outfits such as Rhapsody, Blind Guardian and Symphony X. Imagine an over the top blend of early Malmsteen and Blind Guardian with audiophile sound and a truly brilliant power metal vocalist and you have Payne's Gray.

I bought my CD's some years ago from the now defunct Cranium Music in New Zealand. Ken Golden at Laser's Edge still stocks KD  from time to time. His review is pretty much spot on. Worth the effort to obtain.

They who know do not speak!
They who talk do not know!
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 09:34

^ Well ... in all fairness Kadath Decoded is not quite on the same level with Dream Theater in terms of musicianship, production and consistency. Also I would not call it Prog Metal ... rather Neo Prog with an occasional heavy edge.

But it is a remarkable album - a very unique concept, very unusual and the band members were really trying to create a complex work of art. If only they had continued along this path ... imagine they had been signed by InsideOut or something like that.

bundy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 09:45

Hm. Far more complex than most Neo prog IMO. Moonlight Waters is a pretty Prog metal sounding track to my ears. Sure they don't match DT on the technical level but they're multi track vocals are extraordinary and Hagen Schmidt totally owns James La Brie as far as I'm concernde. Agree completely with your comments regarding a label such Inside Out or Sensory.

They who know do not speak!
They who talk do not know!
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 18:13
I really like the track Moonlight Waters (listened to it on this site) Very good! KD is on my wishlist for sure! I saw it on eBay for 30$, BTW. Maybe I'll buy it from there...
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
 Post Reply Post Reply