Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Infatuation" Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 03:50
It has happened to me with Zappa's albums in general. I have six or seven of them I used to play a lot and now I don't even know where they are  (except "Hot Rats", that I still like).
[IMG]http://www.belderrain.es/GIFs/tora.gif">
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 06:09

Cant think of anythink in prog but I used to listen to the Chili Peppers a lot, but hadly listen to them anymore.

Dream Theaters Scenes From A Memory I listen to at least 2 or 3 times a week and still love it as much as I did the first time I heard it.

As for an album that I started of liking but not loveing before it grew on me would be Genesis, Foxtrot. At the time I got it I thought this is ok but a bit weird,  now it's my second favourit album after SFAM.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 13:46
I guess I`m infatuated with a couple of albums

The Inner Mounting Flame from The Mahavishnu Orchestra, can`t get enough of those wierd timesignatures and overdriven guitars!

Dance Of  The Flames from Guru Guru- Ican`t listen to side one without playing it over more than twice!
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 13:52
I went through an infatuation period with Anathema's Judgement. I still enjoy this album and returning to it feels like making contact with an old flame 

Going through an infatuation phase with Dream Theater right now, as it's my first time listening to their music, and it's excellent!
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 15:25
Most Hawkwind stuff I have that reaction to , fun at first but I don`t seem to stick with it
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 19:58

I treat all albums with that expectation one gets when opening a box of chocolates...

• Infatuation: Yes - Close to the Edge - I played it endlessly for weeks when I first got it. Now it is on the odd occassion. The same with Jethro Tull's - Aqualung; ELP's - "Trilogy" and "Tarkus".
  • Kate Bush - Aerial - I am still playing this almost on a daily basis since it has been released. Don't get tired of listening to this album which I now consider to be her "Magnum Opus".

I find that I give albums thorough listenings for about two or three weeks before they are retired for a while and as my mood for different genres of music changes.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 04:25

If I have to think of musical infatuation, I would probably remember the time - over 20 years ago - when I used to listen to a lot of heavy metal and buy a lot of albums as well. Now I've still got the records (vinyl is too valuable to be thrown away carelessly), but I wouldn't dream of listening to most of them, let alone buying them in their CD versions. There are exceptions, of course - Metallica's peerless "Master of Puppets", most of Iron Maiden's earlier production, something from Megadeth, Judas Priest.... - but, to tell the truth, my fascination with metal has waned.

As to endless love.... the list would be quite long: Yes's "The Yes Album", "Fragile" and the immortal CTTE, most of KC's albums up to 1974, ELP's "great six", Genesis' SEBTP, Pink Floyd with Roger Waters, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin.... I love them now as I loved them the first time I ever heard them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12