FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBeatle solo careers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beatle solo careers
    Posted: March 12 2006 at 05:08
Is anyone  interested in the solo careers of some of the Beatles after they broke up? I personally love "All Things Must Pass" by Harrison, and I have a compilation of Lennon's best too. Anyone else?
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
IgnorantProdigy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 14:32
well if you consider Paul McCartney & Wings to be part of his solo career, then yes I love em. And of course I got some of John Lennon's solo career. I still really want to buy something from Harrison though, as I got nothing from him.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 14:39
I like Harrison's Cloud Nine....

(and I'm sure Cygnus X-2 will agree with me.)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 15:10
Originally posted by Rosescar Rosescar wrote:

Is anyone  interested in the solo careers of some of the Beatles after they broke up? I personally love "All Things Must Pass" by Harrison, and I have a compilation of Lennon's best too. Anyone else?

I agree, "All things must pass" is the best Beatles solo album. Lennon's first two are also brilliant. McCartney's solo stuff never matched up to his Beatles work but he's done some pretty decent stuff (Flowers in the dirt, Off the ground) and his live shows are great.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 15:41
Harrison would win my vote for best solo Beatle - in addition to All Things Must Pass, the Concert For Bangla Desh has some fantastic stuff on it, Cloud 9 was pretty good and Brainwashed was excellent. Add to that the first Travelling Wilburys album and Chants of India (a co-production with Ravi Shankar), plus the fact that he financed Monty Python's Life Of Brian and Handmade were also responsible for some other pretty good films and I think the case for the quiet one is conclusive. I think it's also fair to say that he was the only one of the four to exceed expectations after the split. Mind you, I even like some of Ringo's solo work .
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 17:05

Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Harrison would win my vote for best solo Beatle - in addition to All Things Must Pass, the Concert For Bangla Desh has some fantastic stuff on it, Cloud 9 was pretty good and Brainwashed was excellent. Add to that the first Travelling Wilburys album and Chants of India (a co-production with Ravi Shankar), plus the fact that he financed Monty Python's Life Of Brian and Handmade were also responsible for some other pretty good films and I think the case for the quiet one is conclusive. I think it's also fair to say that he was the only one of the four to exceed expectations after the split. Mind you, I even like some of Ringo's solo work .

That's what I call "a Liverpudlian heart".

A great for you, Syz.

Guigo

~~~~~~
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 19:28
It's funny, I was a huge Beatlemaniac when I was a kid and when they broke up I thought rock was just finished. And in a way it was. 1969-70 was a real downfall for R&R. Beatles broke up, Cream broke up, Dylan was in hiding, Jimi died along with Jim and Janis later. The Stones had the disastorous Altamont concert. The 60's didn't exactly end on a high note. Led Zeppelin and Sabbath was pretty much all that was left at that time. And despite Crimson's breakthrough debut, they were still wavering and prog was still in it's infancy.

So, I went into a sort of withdrawel and didn't even pay much attention to the Beatles solo stuff much. No matter what they would do, it wouldn't be the same. In fact, I didn't even buy a Beatles solo album 'til Macca's Band With The Runs in '74.

But all in all, I would put Georgie's All Things and John's Imagine at the top of the lists.

Note: In case some of you don't know, that's Alan White drumming for Lennon on the early albums. I think Imagine was the last he played for him on.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 20:09

Seen from the present perspective, George Harrison made the most interesting things but soon after The Beatles broke I had (in fact my sister bought) "McCartney" and "Ram" and also a compact with 'My love'. Those cheesy songs helped me too much with the girls during my teenager years.  

Lennon's 'Jealous guy' was another song very appealing to facilitate the contact with the gatinhas.

I started to appreciate more Harrison's work after 1973 when I purchased "Living in a Material World". This made me went back to see what he had done in "All things must pass" and "Bangla Desh".

Guigo

~~~~~~
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 07:58

Originally posted by marktheshark marktheshark wrote:

Note: In case some of you don't know, that's Alan White drumming for Lennon on the early albums. I think Imagine was the last he played for him on.

Also, Phil Collins supposedly played the congas on the "All things must pass" sessions, but didn't make it to the final mix.

PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 08:01
Welsh band Badfinger sounds exacly like the Beatle, well the resemblance anyway!!!
CYMRU AM BYTH
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 08:56

Originally posted by PROGMAN PROGMAN wrote:

Welsh band Badfinger sounds exacly like the Beatle, well the resemblance anyway!!!

Apart from being named after a Beatles song, signed to Apple and having a McCartney song as a single, I can't see any resemblance..

Good band who came to a tragic end thanks to record company incompetence.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 10:01
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Apart from being named after a Beatles song, signed to Apple and having a McCartney song as a single, I can't see any resemblance..

As long as I know 2 of the original members comitted suicide and the other 2 are in a bad situation due to legal problems (they aren't able to get part of the money they received).

Anyway, one of the first Badfinger hits was McCartney's 'Come and get it', circa 1970.

Guigo

~~~~~~
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 11:54
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

As long as I know 2 of the original members comitted suicide and the other 2 are in a bad situation due to legal problems (they aren't able to get part of the money they received).

Anyway, one of the first Badfinger hits was McCartney's 'Come and get it', circa 1970.

Correct. Apparently they were accused of stealing money from their record company. This turned out to be a record company accounting error, but it was too late and Badfinger's career was ruined by this.

Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 12:09
Mh, I just read through the "All Things Must Pass" booklet and apparently Phil Collins played conga for Harrison!
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 14:59
George Harrison was me fav Beatle. It's a pity he didn't get to write more in the band. The songs he did write were some of their best. 'Here comes the Sun ' is a timeless song.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 07:32
to  tdreamer;;;;;  boy you hit the nail right on the head....      Lennon to political,,,paul too lovey dovey ,ringo didnt know what the hell he was trying to do,, but george was the best i have everything that he recorded on cd (that i know of) I still say ""all things must pass is his  best"" REST IN PEASE GEORGE....   I was lucky to see "Bangla desh live at madison square garden on 8/1/71 with my brother I was 18  my brother 20.
A'swepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 10:16

May I submit for your consideration, Paul McCartney's first two solo efforts.

McCartney had the excellent "Maybe I'm Amazed", something The Beatles surely would have recorded had they not broken up. It also contained a lot of filler.

RAM has a number of very good songs including "Uncle Albert - Admiral Halsey", & "Too Many People", which, IMO contains one of the best guitar solos McCartney has ever done.

I tend to agree that George had the most interesting stuff.

John was John & I can take his music in moderation only.

Edited by A'swepe
David - Never doubt in the dark that which you believe to be true in the light.
http://www.myspace.com/aardvarktxusa - Instrumental rock
http://www.soundclick.com/aardvarktxusa
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 10:59
Originally posted by A'swepe A'swepe wrote:

May I submit for your consideration, Paul McCartney's first two solo efforts.

McCartney had the excellent "Maybe I'm Amazed", something The Beatles surely would have recorded had they not broken up. It also contained a lot of filler.

RAM has a number of very good songs including "Uncle Albert - Admiral Halsey", & "Too Many People", which, IMO contains one of the best guitar solos McCartney has ever done.

A teld to agree that George had the most interesting stuff.

John was John & I can take his music in moderation only.

RAM has also 'Monkberry and moondelight', a good rock and 'Back seat of my car', a great ballad.

Guigo

~~~~~~
ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 14:44
  • John Lennon:
  1. "Imagine" (1971)
  2. John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band: "Same" (1970)
  • Paul McCartney:
  1. Paul McCartney & Wings: "Band On The Run" (1973)
  2. Paul & Linda McCartney: "Ram" (1971)
  3. Wings: "Venus And Mars" (1975)
  4. "Flowers In The Dirt" (1989)
  • George Harrison:
  1. "All Things Must Pass" (1970)
  2. "Electronic Sounds" (1969)
  •  Ringo Starr:
  1. "Ringo" (1973)
kenmeyerjr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 08:49
Ah well, I like much of Lennon's solo work almost as much as an Beatle's work...and never really got into any of the other Beatles' solo work at all. I do remember liking McCartney's 'Admiral Halsey,' but figured that was not representative of the rest of the work, so I never pursued it. I admire Harrison but his stuff sorta bores me. Lennon never bores, gotta give him that.
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>