Topic ClosedTypes of Electric Organs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 16:36
In the book Genesis The Evolution Of A Rock Band Tony Banks tells that he bought an organ (Hammond L-100) and a home-made Leslie end 1969.
pierreolivier View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 15:52

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

the only thing I'd take issue with is that unlike many players, I don't believe Tony Banks ever used a Leslie cabinet - I think his was adapted for use with a 1/4 inch jack plug to a standard amplifier.

Tony Banks surely used a leslie cabinet, just listen to the organ sound of "Fountain of Salmacis" on Nursery Cryme(very leslie sounding) and many others songs.He always be very subtile in his leslie setting and never pushed it to full spin,but the leslie sound is present.My friend used to be the original keyboard player in "The Musical Box" tribute band and always had 2 leslies 147 with him during the shows.Sometimes, even the mellotron was put trought the leslie.

Edited by pierreolivier
A'swepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 09:25
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

The Vox Continental was used by The Animals (on House Of The Rising Sun), Them and Iron Butterfly.

Eric you beat me to it. Doug Ingle of Iron Butterfly used the Vox Continental on In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

David - Never doubt in the dark that which you believe to be true in the light.
http://www.myspace.com/aardvarktxusa - Instrumental rock
http://www.soundclick.com/aardvarktxusa
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 08:02

I love the Farfisa Duo Organ sound by Rick Wright on Pink Floyd At Pompeii, more soaring and spacey, perfect for Pink Floyd in those days!

The Vox Continental was used by The Animals (on House Of The Rising Sun), Them and Iron Butterfly.

Ray Manzarek changed the Vox Continental for a Gibson combo organ, on the flat surface he could put a Rhodes Piano Bass.

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 07:48
Originally posted by pierreolivier pierreolivier wrote:

I own a L-100 since a couple of years and like it very much.With a leslie cabinet, they sound very good, like in Genesis records

I've an L122 myself (played through a Leslie 145) and they're wonderful instruments (considerably lighter/smaller/cheaper than the full console B3/C3s) - the only thing I'd take issue with is that unlike many players, I don't believe Tony Banks ever used a Leslie cabinet - I think his was adapted for use with a 1/4 inch jack plug to a standard amplifier.

David Sinclair (Caravan) and David Stewart (Hatfield & The North, Hillage) were others who used a Hammond spinet through a standard amp, but they took advantage of this arrangement to use a great deal of guitar effects pedals, most notably wah-wah & distortion/overdrive - this in turn gives a particularly individual sound to the Hammond - almost unrecogniseable from the 'usual' sound, but still wonderful.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 07:07

Another type of organ widely used was the Farsifa (used by Manzarek, Banton and a few more)

There was a cheap orange plastic organs usedby garage bands in the 60's called the Vox Continental

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 06:33

That 'clicky' sound is part of the tone-wheel (not an electric organ) Hammond organ and named 'key-click', it has to do with pushing a key and then making an electric contact. In fact it was a 'factory failure' but soon it turned into one ot the specific Hammond 'side-sounds' like distortion and leakage.

Thijs Van Leer about the Hammond L100: "this was my main keyboard, it has a wonderful mid-dominion, very suitable for arrangements.

Rick v/d Linden: "the Hammond organ is the king of the keyboards, the B3 is superior to the other Hammonds but nonetheless the L and M spinets are impressive!"

pierreolivier View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 20:12

Hi,

All 3 used Hammond organs.A B3 and a C3 is essentially the same type of organ.The only difference between the two models are the different cabinet but electronically, they are the same organ. The "click" sound you heard on Emerson C3 is because he plays it with percussion engaged.Emerson also had an L-100, wich he stab with knives and jumped around.

As for Tony Banks, he used spinet organs,the L-100 model in the early days and since "The lamb lies down..." he used the T-100 wich is an update model of the L-100.The spinet organs sound not as big and dirty as the B3 or C3 console models but they sound mellower and softer.Personnally, I like the spinet models more than the big consoles like the B3 and C3 and I own a L-100 since a couple of years and like it very much.With a leslie cabinet, they sound very good, like in Genesis records.

Hope that it answers your questions.

Edited by pierreolivier
Flying Dutchman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 17:35

I know the Hammond B3 is the one used by Ken Hensely in Heep's classic days.  But what is the "clicky" organ Emerson uses?  Hammond C3 maybe?  Also, what is the one that Banks uses that sounds kind of like a flute (on Can-Utility, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight)?  Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123