Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIron Butterfly? This site is ridiculous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:51
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Honestly I feel less uncomfortable with Iron Butterfly and Proto Prog (A sub genre acceopted by most sites and Prog' literature) than with bands as ELO and Prog Related.

Iron Butterfly was not 100% Prog', but I'm sure it was Proto Prog.

Iván

I'm completely in agreement with that.
surfdaddy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:53
I come here because, I am interested in the Progressive, Neo Progressive, and Progressive Metal genres reviewed on this site, and discussed in this forum.  I dont like all of the music listed, maybe not even most of it, but enough of it to appreciate the hard work someone puts in to running a site like this.   
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:55
Originally posted by Ofur Ofur wrote:

Why do you assume I've never heard anything with Iron Butterfly? Why are you acting like they aren't here solely because of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida? Are you pretending to own all Iron Butterfly albums?

I own all Iron Butterfly albums, my uncle was a hippie and still lives in a farm eating everything he plants plus tofu and feeding animals (Of course he doesn't eat animals).

He gave me the full IB collection on LP for one birthday.

Ahhhhhh....I bought the DVD also.

Iván

BTW: Yes they are Proto Prog.

Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 22:57
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

How convenient of you to ignore the other sub genre definitions that are not prog and all the bands listed in those sub genres and mention just "proto-prog" to arrive at your 1%.

Well I thought we were talking about Iron Butterfly (hence the sub genre they are included) not about "other sub genre definitions".

This is what you said: "First, if one judge the entire site taking these less than 1% as an example I believe no justice is being made. Imagine someone calling all French people as right-wings or fascists because LePen received 15% of the votes. Is it fair?"

You ignore the other non prog genres and assume I'm bashing this site on just the proto-prog sub genre which I'm not. I'm saying this site is becoming more and more ridiculous with the inclusion of endless bands that have nothing to do with prog.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 23:00

Well this site has now officially become useless. This is no longer "the prog archives", it is now "the all music ever made archives".

If it's useless, what are you still doing here?

I think we'll manage without you.

robertplantowns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 23:01

Originally posted by robertplantowns robertplantowns wrote:

Nobody agrees on what prog is? Well then I demand that Elvis and The Sex Pistols be put on the archives.

Nobody said that Iron Butterfly was prog.  If you look very carefully at the label they are put under it is called Proto-Prog.  I refer you to my previously mentioned comment.  I think we can all agree that Elvis had no direct influence on progressive rock, and that the Sex Pistols and the punk movement regressed rock.  I think many of us could make an argument for the direct impact that Iron Butterfly had on rock and if you took the time to listen to their catalog you would probably agree, but of course it's much easier for you to bash them without any knowledge at all. 

Why do you assume I've never heard anything with Iron Butterfly? Why are you acting like they aren't here solely because of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida? Are you pretending to own all Iron Butterfly albums?

I didn't say that you've heard nothing of them I just said that you or all the people here haven't listened to them extensively enough to form a worthwhile opinion.
2. I highly doubt that they were put onto the archives because of that one song, knowing the extensive knowledge of prog music of those who added Iron Butterfly.
3. No I'm not pretending  to  own all the Iron Butterfly albums, I do own all the albums including the ones from the 75  reformation up until  their last studio album.  If you  are interested  in any of them you should "buy" them because they're great albums.

robertplantowns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 23:04

You ignore the other non prog genres and assume I'm bashing this site on just the proto-prog sub genre which I'm not. I'm saying this site is becoming more and more ridiculous with the inclusion of endless bands that have nothing to do with prog.

So i guess 15 has instantly transformed into "endless."  That's funny. I also suppose that you are such an expert on Iron Butterfly that you are credible enough to make that opinion. 

Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 23:08

Originally posted by robertplantowns robertplantowns wrote:

So i guess 15 has instantly transformed into "endless."  That's funny. I also suppose that you are such an expert on Iron Butterfly that you are credible enough to make that opinion. 

Who said 15? I never did.

Yes I am an expert on Iron Butterfly, I used to be married to Doug Ingle. What do you call being an expert on the band? Is listening to their albums not enough for you?

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 23:16

How convenient of you to ignore the other sub genre definitions that are not prog and all the bands listed in those sub genres and mention just "proto-prog" to arrive at your 1%.

Well I thought we were talking about Iron Butterfly (hence the sub genre they are included) not about "other sub genre definitions".

This is what you said: "First, if one judge the entire site taking these less than 1% as an example I believe no justice is being made. Imagine someone calling all French people as right-wings or fascists because LePen received 15% of the votes. Is it fair?"

OK, what are exactly the "other non prog genres"? Prog-related? Well, you have there 50-60 bands. Excluding the proto-prog and prog-related bands you have more than 2.200 names.

You may say that for your specific taste some other genres do not comply with your definition of prog and then, all this stuff is simply a matter of personal taste. A Rick Martin fan or a Britney Spears fan will find this site useless because their personal tastes aren't satisfied here, but if you like Symphonic or Folk or Italian you'll find this site useful and able to satisfy your taste.

Better than complaining for the inclusion of A or B maybe ideas about how to deal with prog-related and proto-prog bands should be more relevant for the site.  

Guigo

~~~~~~
DrGoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 23:26

Yes I am an expert on Iron Butterfly, I used to be married to Doug Ingle.

Behind on his alimony, is he?
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 23:39
"Proto-Prog definition
Rock Bands in existence prior to 1969 that influenced the development of progressive rock. The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog. The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few. Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not."

Iron Butterfly absolutely fits this definition, based on my (admittedly limited) exposure to them.

Seriously though... if it bugs you that much, you should be able to dazzle the Submissions team with your depth of knowledge about Prog enough to be tapped as a member of the Submissions team.

If that doesn't work out, you can nail your Proverbial "95 Theses" to the Virtual PA Door, and start your own Prog website in defiance.

Such drama!
herbie53 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 00:06

Today this site has 2.298 bands, of which 17 (including Iron Butterfly) are listed in the special subgenre of proto-prog (not really Prog), representing less than 1% of the total.

First, if one judge the entire site taking these less than 1% as an example I believe no justice is being made. Imagine someone calling all French people as right-wings or fascists because LePen received 15% of the votes. Is it fair?

Second, I still believe that the roots and the history of prog-rock shall be told and this site is probably the best place to do that. Can someone presently admit that the History of the Americas began the day they were 'discovered' by Columbus with the natives and other visitors being forgotten?

I ask you to think about these issues. Thanks.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU !!!! 

kane83 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 00:11

I wouldn't of guessed iron butterfly prog

but I'm not crying about it

this site is all I have to learn about prog having no friends or familly who like it and never heard it on some 70's fm station because I was born in the 80's and discovered it in my 20's

I find this site very useful and buy a lot of music I would otherwise never heard of and if you find this site useless maybe you don't need it. nobody is making you logon to PA and forcing you to look at anything here but if I'm wrong and you are being forced then their is some kind of a sick person out there using prog to torture people

EVERYBODY LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by kane83
with all your giving, all your giving is the answer - Tull
kane83 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 00:13

Originally posted by surfdaddy surfdaddy wrote:

I come here because, I am interested in the Progressive, Neo Progressive, and Progressive Metal genres reviewed on this site, and discussed in this forum.  I dont like all of the music listed, maybe not even most of it, but enough of it to appreciate the hard work someone puts in to running a site like this.   

and for nothing but the love of prog.

Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 00:19
Don't worry, you're all young. None of this will matter in a few more years.
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 00:33
Maybe the kids got a point , this site is going to the dogs
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 00:34

Originally posted by s1ipp3ry s1ipp3ry wrote:

You don't have to stay here if you don't want to, you know.

Progidal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 00:53
Prog Snobs...sheesh...

Are the labels "Proto Prog" and "Prog Related" not good enough to inform you that they aren't "100% prog" ?????????

"This site is going to helll!!" I don't understand.

Edited by Progidal
here i go

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 00:56

Then let us dogs have it, and go to other more human-like sites with mcuh more class and dignity.

kane83 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 01:08
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Then let us dogs have it, and go to other more human-like sites with mcuh more class and dignity.

like some rap archives

Edited by kane83
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>