x

~*~

.Fear.Is.No.Excuse.
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 19:46
I like everything I've heard off of the 4AD, Factory and (old) Rough Trade labels. Favorites include ACR, The Pop Group, New Order and Joy Division of course, Cocteau Twins, YMG, etc...  Good stuff.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 23:18
I am rather partial to The Zutons first album.  Not sure if the new material is as good, I've only heard the one track.

I find most Indie useless.  I heard a Flaming Lips song the other day and it wasn't all that bad to my ears.

My friend has recommened The Mystery Jets to me, as he likes a bit of prog and knows I like it too.  Not explored that any futher yet though.

I just find most Indie drones on and on and on and on... ad infinitum.  The music doesn't take me anyhwere, it's like U2, very dull!
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 02:24

I'm another who likes this type of music. I thought Indie was a term for any band on an independent label.

I always love The Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil. Joy Division (ironic name, huh?). Well, there are many more, I'd just be relisting many that have already been mentioned.

Not sure if she qualifies but Danielle Dax music always blew me away. I classify her as prog but I'm in a minority, I know.

Edited by darren
"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
A'swepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:51

The problem as I see it:  A lot of Indie artists are Indie because they can't get a record deal or don't want a record deal (Artistic Control, etc.).

Several Indie bands have achieved a fair amount of success & ultimately gotten that deal - bringing fame & (sometimes) fortune. Also the record company will put up the money for a decent studio, marketing & touring (which the band must pay back out of record sales & touring).

With fame (fortune) & the Deal comes pressure to make Radio-Friendly music that can be shoved down the throats of a gullible public who, not coincidentally, has money to burn & tends to consume anything the media tells them is hot/good/fresh/etc.

This success turns the Indie band/artist into a commercial artist, no longer interested (seemingly) in making music. Now they are interested in making money. Sometimes the interest in making money is due to the fact that the deal they got from the record company had put them into debt - despite the fame & success.

It's a Catch-22.

David - Never doubt in the dark that which you believe to be true in the light.
http://www.myspace.com/aardvarktxusa - Instrumental rock
http://www.soundclick.com/aardvarktxusa
Hemispheres View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 20:58

The Fall are a great band and so are Mission Of Burma i guess there indie rock

[IMG]http://www.wheresthatfrom.com/avatars/miguelsanchez.gif">[IMG]http://www.rockphiles.com/all_images/Act_Images/TheMothersOfInvention/mothers300.jpg">
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 04:13
Since there are some Smiths fans here, I thought I'd mention that Morrissey's new solo album is being released on the 3rd of April. Of course it has already leaked onilne. 

You can also listen to it legally here.

Edited by Vompatti
ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 09:07
I like THE CURE
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 06:06

I've listened to a lot of 'Indie' music over the years, but it's definition appears to have changed. In the 80's the term 'Indie' merely reffered to any artist who recorded independantly of a major label. There were loads of indie labels in the UK; Rough Trade, Situation 2, 4AD, Factory etc. Now the term seems to be used for any band that isn't pop, RnB, Soul or Rock. The 'Indie' scene seems to have changed too. It's a huge money market now, aimed at the masses. I believe you can sell anything to anyone if you have the right marketting tools.

Indie music went through a creative renaissance in the 90's IMO. Bands like Curve, The Boo Radleys, Fields of the Nephilim, Lush, Chapter House, Ride and The Cocteau Twins made very original and imaginiative music.

I feel like that 'genre' has`lost it's creativity and it's soul, but I accpet that I may just be getting old.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 14:16
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I've listened to a lot of 'Indie' music over the years, but it's definition appears to have changed. In the 80's the term 'Indie' merely reffered to any artist who recorded independantly of a major label. There were loads of indie labels in the UK; Rough Trade, Situation 2, 4AD, Factory etc. Now the term seems to be used for any band that isn't pop, RnB, Soul or Rock. The 'Indie' scene seems to have changed too. It's a huge money market now, aimed at the masses. I believe you can sell anything to anyone if you have the right marketting tools.

Indie music went through a creative renaissance in the 90's IMO. Bands like Curve, The Boo Radleys, Fields of the Nephilim, Lush, Chapter House, Ride and The Cocteau Twins made very original and imaginiative music.

I feel like that 'genre' has`lost it's creativity and it's soul, but I accpet that I may just be getting old.

agreed, "indie" as it was used in the 80s, was more of a cultural economic position on where a band came from while releasing music, never was really an indie "sound" back then, as the 80s waned "Alternative" became an all purpose catch term to describe this music, as the major record labels coopted Alternative in the mainstream in the early 90s...Alternative wasn't really alternative anymore thus becoming the norm, during this time a lot of bands/labels/zines/clubs etc, choose to lean more towards the "indie" label while promoting a band as not to seem part of the Alt-Rock-Trend-rock establishment, as we see now as the turn of the century came about, Indie became the new Alternative as well as a fall back genre label to tag bands with that certain "indie sound", therefor becoming a bonafide genre where people hear the word "indie" they automatically assume a specific style, sound and group of bands, as seen by the bands listen in this thread,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12