Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIDM (Do you like electronica?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 02:34

I've been digging some of this stuff lately.

Really loved Autechre, Pan Sonic, Aphex Twin, Future Sound Of London, Higher Intelligence Agency, Amon Tobin, Squarepusher.

I'd really like to recommend the album 'New World Observer' by 'deadbeat'. It's a very detailed and emotional version od Ambient Dub.

Bill laswell has done some stuff in the ambient genre particulary his collaborations with Pete Namlook.

Mick Harris's(Napalm Death's, Painkiller's drummer) project Scorn does some good dub-by Dark Ambient.

The album 'Expanding Horizon' by Alio Die & Mathias Grassow is some very melancholic Dark Ambient too.

The industrial project Coil also makesinteresting music incorporating elements of ambient, avant-garde and singer-songwriter.

From the prog bands, the only one that i know, experimenting with electronics is Art Zoyd. Their last albums like 'u.B.I.Q.U.e' and 'Metropolis' have lots of similarities with idm, like the glithcy structure and noise sounds.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 04:15
Originally posted by phobos phobos wrote:

I was VERY dissapointed by the isness... not anywhere near as interesting as FSOL's good stuff (escpecially lifeforms) but I know that AA is supposed to be different from FSOL.  That ishkur website is really great!  Earlier somebody mentioned the orb in reference to tangerine dream... Having really only listened to the first orb album I have to say there were way too many vocal samples inserted... I was dissapointed with that and thought it really broke up the mood of the album.  Interesting thing about the orb is that they have been associated with steve hillage from gong ( also known for his great solo career, which for me, surpasses gong).  He actually gets some credit for one of the tracks on the first orb album.

Phobos

Hillage also plays on the second Orb album (UFOrb) on a track called 'The Blue Room' Hillage plays some lead guitar against a heavy dub bassline. The full version is 39 minutes long.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
yeppp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 08:57
Originally posted by vogre vogre wrote:

I've been digging some of this stuff lately.

Really loved Autechre, Pan Sonic, Aphex Twin, Future Sound Of London, Higher Intelligence Agency, Amon Tobin, Squarepusher.

I'd really like to recommend the album 'New World Observer' by 'deadbeat'. It's a very detailed and emotional version od Ambient Dub.

Bill laswell has done some stuff in the ambient genre particulary his collaborations with Pete Namlook.

Mick Harris's(Napalm Death's, Painkiller's drummer) project Scorn does some good dub-by Dark Ambient.

The album 'Expanding Horizon' by Alio Die & Mathias Grassow is some very melancholic Dark Ambient too.

The industrial project Coil also makesinteresting music incorporating elements of ambient, avant-garde and singer-songwriter.

From the prog bands, the only one that i know, experimenting with electronics is Art Zoyd. Their last albums like 'u.B.I.Q.U.e' and 'Metropolis' have lots of similarities with idm, like the glithcy structure and noise sounds.

If you like Mick Harris's Scorn, i really recommend you to check out he's other project Lull !! It's really great VERY MINIMALISTIC dark ambient.. Check out " Cold Summer " from him.. I'm glad you like Pan Sonic !! It's not so usual
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:18
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Hillage also plays on the second Orb album (UFOrb) on a track called 'The Blue Room' Hillage plays some lead guitar against a heavy dub bassline. The full version is 39 minutes long.

Nice!!! I didn't know that was Hillage.
Pure Brilliance:
phobos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 13:46

Originally posted by yeppp yeppp wrote:

If you like Mick Harris's Scorn, i really recommend you to check out he's other project Lull !! It's really great VERY MINIMALISTIC dark ambient.. Check out " Cold Summer " from him.. I'm glad you like Pan Sonic !! It's not so usual

I would agree that scorn is good stuff, but some albums are much better than others... I have always found that Gyral is the best (allmusic seems to agree and although they are often wrong, I would concur this time).  I think mick harris also did "Painkiller" with Zorn and Laswell?  They put out some insteresting stuff... not electronic music... very thrashy and noisy but engaging.  Has anybody heard that yes remix album?  I heard it was absolutely awful...

phobos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 20:57
If you are reading this thread... check out rashikal's IDM poll in the polls section.
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 06:15
I am getting into electronica now after being a fan of electronic music in the 90's (Orbital, The Orb, Banco de Gaia). I have just bought:

FSOL - Lifeforms (haven't heard it yet though)
Infected Mushroom - Stretched (pretty good)

Anybody know any good nu-jazz? I heard some on the radio and it sounds good. A band called Quantic sound good.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 06:30
This is a genre I've been meaning to delve into for a long time now, but for some reason I haven't really heard anything apart from Aphex Twin. I think I need to get myself some Squarepusher and Autechre.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 11:02
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Boards of Canada (!)

I second that!

Honorable mention to Autechre, Plaid, FSOL and Pete Namlook too!

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 21:51
IDM's golden years were from early to mid 90s, esp classic Warp Records releases such as the two Artificial Intelligence comps, and these great works:

Autechre - Tri Repatae
Autechre - Amber
Polygon Window - Surfing On Sine Waves
Black Dog Productions - Bytes

Get them all and play them one after the other and you'll hear what i mean
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 04:19
I've never heard of Autechre. That's something for me to look out for then.

I was reading the Classic Rock Prog Special magazine and they include Amorphous Androgynous as prog. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 05:26
hehehe AA used to be FSOL!!!!  in fact it was always a kind of alter ego to FSOL when they were more dance-oriented.  AA's Tales of Edriphina (1993) was a precursor to Lifeforms.

After FSOL's last album in 1996 (Dead Cities) they disappeared and AA came back as a hippypsych act .....i havent actually heard any of the current stuff but maybe i'll check it out.

and yes, i have that issue of classic rock too...fun read.

superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 05:28
just goes to show the connections bet electronica and prog.......
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 06:43
Steve Hillage and Mirquette Giraudy became System 7 and worked with The Orb, but put out plenty of interesting albums (the best being Fire and Water).

Great thread. I think Orbital's 'In Sides' is the proggiest thing to come out in the 1990s.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 08:17
I think that the Orb's "Peel Sessions" is their masterpiece - it sounds like it comes from another world.

No mention of Cabaret Voltaire?

Shame on you all!

Autechre are definitely the electronica band of the moment - fantastic avante-garde soundscapes

But the best electronica album of all time is still "Electric Storm" by White Noise (1969), and all electronica fans should be aware of the Silver Apples (epecially their debut), Fifty Foot Hose "Cauldron", and Morton Subotnik's "Silver Apples of the Moon".
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
babydoctor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 19:12
Quote The industrial project Coil also makesinteresting music incorporating elements of ambient, avant-garde and singer-songwriter.

Clap Clap Clap
Clap
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 19:30
Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

I've never heard of Autechre. That's something for me to look out for then.

I was reading the Classic Rock Prog Special magazine and they include Amorphous Androgynous as prog. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Definitely check out some Autechre. Very stark and futuristic. I keep meaning to pick up some recent Amorphous, but I still haven't... I'm still only familiar with the ambient stuff from the 90's.
Pure Brilliance:
Mr. Punch View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 20:46

Aphex Twin was probably the first "IDM" (I hate that term) artist I got into, but I'd say Boards of Canada and Squarepusher are my favorites, although you can't really pin Squarepusher down into the electronic category (i.e. Music is Rotted One Note).

Oh, Mouse On Mars are great, and their output is pretty diverse.

Edited by Mr. Punch - September 14 2006 at 20:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12