Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcolors comming from music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 21:11
Originally posted by int_2375 int_2375 wrote:

Judging from your towelie avatar, I bet you were high, weren't you?

Anyway, yeah, I know what you mean.  I'm no synaesthesist, but I will definitely tend to associate images with songs...

for PF's Echoes I always imagine a giant black spaceship in the sky called "The Albatross"...

with Meshuggah I always imagine what an H.R. Giger landscape painting would look like

and with Lustmord I definitely get the vibe of a spooky dark town

peace

I'm not high I swear.  I have had that avatar for a while now.   ^ I associate ELP with green and purple often. 
true as a lobster in a pteredaktyl's underpants.

Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 22:12
Originally posted by Pafnutij Pafnutij wrote:

That's called synaesthesia, I believe. Some people automatically associate music with colors.

Nice to know there is a name for it. Gives me something to look up. I have always had mental images and colors in my head when I hear sounds.. I'm one of them I guess. But I guess we all have it differently and in varying degrees. For instance, I really don't understand associating a single color to a whole album, And a single color to a whole band blows me away, To me that would be like saying  Tresspass sounds like a guitar. It doesn't sound like a guitar it sounds like all the insruments. That's what I see when I hear things. Each note of each instrument has an image.

The sounds don't just invoke images of real world things. I get that too, like when a certain music makes me imagine a royal procession or a thief in the night. That's the emotional response to the music as a whole. I think it's great when a piece is powerfull enough to do that, that's what makes music awesome. Along with that though each sound has an image in my head. an undescribable image. its not just music either, all sounds do it. It's not so bad with me that its invasive.. I can pretty much ignore it at any time (luckily). It's very stong and enjoyable with music though. I' m pretty sure this is one of the things that has drawn me so powerfully to music.

On another note, this one time..just once, Things I saw with my eyes had noise in my head. That was an 'induced' experience though. Man was it cool, I was creating this kick ass Grand majestic music in my head just by looking at different things in rapid succession.

So short answer... yeah I see colors :)
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 23:20

interesting topic some songs trigger memories for me and from others i get very distinct scenes

for example when i listen to the intro of storm (when the drums start) by GYBE! i picture a funeral at the end of a movie where the camera starts out with everyone walking away from the grave and then slowly elevates and fades out (I have no clue why)

When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 23:21

btw didnt pt have a song called that "synaesthesia" on stars die?

Edited by lightbulb_son
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Mr. Krinkle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 23:40
it happens to me that the colour i imagine when listening to a song/album is always influenced (or mostly) by the dominant colour of the cover and album art. And at the end i think it was the band's purpose to put it that way, a colour that could match their songs. 
Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 10:25
Yep. Some songs make me think of colours - Epitaph of a red-brown colour, In The Land Of Grey And Pink of, well... pink and green. The list goes on - often certain bands make me think of a certain colour very often.
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 11:11

Ease up on the "vitamin A" there, folks!Stern Smile

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Dr Know View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 19:27

Queensryche is dark green, an almost blackish green at times!

Listen to Queen of the Reich on headphones, eyes closed....whew!

Zepology101 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 20:06

Interesting topic. I'm not sure, I don't reslly see colors in my head when I hear songs. but i DO some times get the picture I'm flying through space or something when I listen to astronomy dominie. Thats probably because my brother used windows movie maker to  make a psychedelic music video of the song, lol, it was pretty funny. It was awesome! Trust me!

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 20:16
Originally posted by Flyingsod Flyingsod wrote:

Originally posted by Pafnutij Pafnutij wrote:

That's called synaesthesia, I believe. Some people automatically associate music with colors.

Nice to know there is a name for it. Gives me something to look up. I have always had mental images and colors in my head when I hear sounds.. I'm one of them I guess. But I guess we all have it differently and in varying degrees. For instance, I really don't understand associating a single color to a whole album, And a single color to a whole band blows me away, To me that would be like saying  Tresspass sounds like a guitar. It doesn't sound like a guitar it sounds like all the insruments. That's what I see when I hear things. Each note of each instrument has an image.

The sounds don't just invoke images of real world things. I get that too, like when a certain music makes me imagine a royal procession or a thief in the night. That's the emotional response to the music as a whole. I think it's great when a piece is powerfull enough to do that, that's what makes music awesome. Along with that though each sound has an image in my head. an undescribable image. its not just music either, all sounds do it. It's not so bad with me that its invasive.. I can pretty much ignore it at any time (luckily). It's very stong and enjoyable with music though. I' m pretty sure this is one of the things that has drawn me so powerfully to music.

On another note, this one time..just once, Things I saw with my eyes had noise in my head. That was an 'induced' experience though. Man was it cool, I was creating this kick ass Grand majestic music in my head just by looking at different things in rapid succession.

So short answer... yeah I see colors :)

Wow, that must have been one hell of a trip you went there

When I listen to post-rock and ambient (Eno, EITS, Sigur Ros, GY!BE etc.) I asociate pictures and images instead of colors. Dreamy landscapes and beautiful sounds are only part of the ride and no need for drugs.

stan the man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 22:36

Cygnus from hemespheres is a very orange song.  If that opening chord isnt orange i dont know what is. 

Genesis music is really yellow.  and long farm fields come to mind. 

When i hear yes i always imagine huge trees the size of sky scrapers with huge pteredaktyls flying around.

Porcupine tree reminds me of laying down and chilling out without a care in the world. 
true as a lobster in a pteredaktyl's underpants.

MustShaveBeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 21:26
Originally posted by Mr. Krinkle Mr. Krinkle wrote:

it happens to me that the colour i imagine when listening to a song/album is always influenced (or mostly) by the dominant colour of the cover and album art. And at the end i think it was the band's purpose to put it that way, a colour that could match their songs. 

I'm usually the same way. Sometimes I think I like the album less only because I don't like the color of the cover (Thick as a Brick, for example).

One of the weirdest color associations for me, though, is KC's "Book of Saturdays" which for some reason reminds me of orange and black (And therefore it reminds me of HalloweenBig smile)

Gates of Delirium is definitely an alien like green (the cover of CTTE would fit a lot more for this, I think. The Relayer cover has nothing to do with the song or the rest of the album; it's sci-fi, not fantasy!) "Soon", however, I imagine a beautiful red sky over a pond on another planet, and an alien playing guitar in the pond.
Your life or your lupins!!!
bamba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 21:31
Jack The Ripper Univers Zero Totally black also a little bit of Red
Learning Flute [Amigo de Manticore y Memowakeman] (primo)[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2187/2437702285_fbb450500d_o.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12