Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRegresive!!!.... Ja Ja Ja!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:43

Buena cuncuna, saludos!!

I totally agree with you in this thread... In first place I think you can't simply get rid of the context of any form of art. Every artwork has its period in time and it hardly can be fully understood or appreciated without it or even without knowing a bit about the people behind it. (IMO)

Second, those bands trying to do now the same thing that was made so splendidly in the 70's... I don't know, perhaps they are like painters who can't get Picasso from getting in their works.

And third, "instrumental masturbation" (what a great term!) deserves a            (I won't say names...)

Edited by Machinemessiah
Kid-A View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 13:42

I hate the term 'regressive'. Bands are allowed to copy other bands. Pop/rock bands do it all the time. Not all 'prog' bands are going to be highly innovative, that would be impossible. I mean, it really shows something about Yes that they have inspired so many groups to make similar music.

'Instrumental masturbation' is a great term IMO.

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 13:59
One is allowed to do anything. One is also allowed to like anything. We are not talking about taste, but validation. Off course, I can say that I'm the last of the classical composers, but that won't help to the evolution of anything. I want my price now, since I'm using the word "anything" a lot of times in the same paragraph...
¡Beware of the Bee!

Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 19:49

i dont like the term regressive, but i also dont get people that would listen to music from today that is meant to mimic bands from the past

Aaron

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 02:02

The point is: Bands don't have to be highly creative all of the time. Musicians should be totally free in their music ... I try to not expect them to do what I fancy. If they decide to base their music on a specific style of the 70s ... why not? It can still be brilliantly composed and have lots of interesting ideas that make it worthwhile. The other extreme (0% derivative/regressive) is not automatically a good thing either ... a band can be totally experimental and still fail miserably.

So: I think it's best to not have too specific expectations ... you're only going to be disappointed. And the more specific your expectations are, the more it is likely that you'll miss out on some really nice music!

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 13:25
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

The point is: Bands don't have to be highly creative all of the time. Musicians should be totally free in their music ... I try to not expect them to do what I fancy. If they decide to base their music on a specific style of the 70s ... why not? It can still be brilliantly composed and have lots of interesting ideas that make it worthwhile. The other extreme (0% derivative/regressive) is not automatically a good thing either ... a band can be totally experimental and still fail miserably.

So: I think it's best to not have too specific expectations ... you're only going to be disappointed. And the more specific your expectations are, the more it is likely that you'll miss out on some really nice music!

I would go for that, but, the evolution seen on bands like TOOL (and yes, I still think they are not progressive; but they are awsome), weird Jumps like "Earthling" (Bowie), The soft sounds of Sigur Rós, or the ludic turn that is "Animal Collective" tells me more and more about some kind of musicians that will always trying to reach some kind of artistic integrity regarding creative activitym for their own satisfaction on the matter. Self repeating is boring to those who create.
¡Beware of the Bee!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 13:35
Originally posted by Kid-A Kid-A wrote:

I hate the term 'regressive'. Bands are allowed to copy other bands. Pop/rock bands do it all the time. Not all 'prog' bands are going to be highly innovative, that would be impossible. I mean, it really shows something about Yes that they have inspired so many groups to make similar music.

'Instrumental masturbation' is a great term IMO.

hate it or not... it probably is an apt name... the root of progressive is to progress.  You aren't progressing if you are heading down trails and styles that others have already blazed.  That's what makes 70's prog so special and so timeless to many prog fans... it was so new and without precedent in rock.  There were no direct inspirations and no suits telling those guys they have to sound like x to get signed and sell albums.  It was an art back then.... not strictly about a paycheck.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12