Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRelayer>CTTE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:25
I agree- I like Relayer A lot more!

Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:38
I rate CTTE higher because it is the culmination of years of identity development by the best lineup Yes ever had.  It's a near-perfect album.  Relayer is so different in so many ways that I can't really compare the two.  It's amazing because of the circumstances it was created out of with Moraz coming in at the tail end of the composing phase and adding the amazing parts that he did.  And "To be Over" is one of my favorite Yes tunes because it so completely showcases their expertise in using counter melody.  The ending just blows me away every time.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

As most of you probably know by now, I don't like CTTE. But Relayer is amazing! The music is much more complex and is far less repetitive; the lyrics make enough sense that they don't make me angry; the vocals are better (the opening vocals make me laugh, but I think the singing is overall better than on CTTE); the cover is way better :), and they actually bothered to make their own CD cover on the actual CD. (I know this doesn't seem like a big deal, but I think that it shows a degree of laziness or apathy if a band just uses the standard Atlantic cover. Zeppelin did it too, because they're so famous they don't care.) Moraz's keyboards are better, because he realizes that unless your Keith Emerson, the keyboards are always going to be subordinate to the guitar, so he played backup things; whereas, it seemed to me that Wakeman was fighting for dominance all through CTTE. I also prefer the new drummer (his name escapes me now.); people say Bruford is an amazing drummer, but I didn't think the drumming on CTTE was all that spectacular. Lastly, it's actually a group effort on all the songs; CTTE seemed to be dominated by Jon, Bruford, Howe. Unless they were just stealing credit, which is also a possibility.

So, to conclude, if you found CTTE to be boring and repetitive, try Relayer. If you don't like that, then I guess you don't like Yes. Really though, don't hesitate because you don't like CTTE; Yes sounds much different on Relayer. I suppose that if you like CTTE you'd probably like this too.

Would I like Drama? From what I've heard that's the only otherYes album that differs from the CTTE sound (Besides their '80s work, but I'm not going there). Mainly because Jon isn't there I suppose, but I do like Howe and Squire's playing.

well you heard wrong hahahha.  Tormato sounds nothing like CttE, neither does Going for the One.

Relayer is a fine album...but it's no Close to the Edge on many levels.  Moraz is a fine player, and showed it big time in the live setting,  but didn't have much to contribute to the album since the whole damn thing was nearly written by the time he joined.  That  album is too dominated by the bass and guitar. The keyboard counterpoint to those two is missing or relatively minor  on Relayer.  You can definitely like it more.. but Close to the Edge is THE Yes album.  Close to the Edge reflects the perfect union of the contributions of Anderson, Squire, Howe, Wakeman, and the prog drummer par excellance... Bill Bruford.  THE lineup that really is and will always be classic Yes.

Well written, micky.  I also always thought Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, Squire was the truly classic Yes lineup.  Because Close to the Edge and Relayer are so different, it's hard for me to choose one and say it's better than the other.

Ghandi2, if you think Howe,Squire, and White are what's great about Yes, then absolutely you should get DRAMA, as those three really shine on it.
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 13:12

i dont know if its a better album, but Gates of Delirium rapes CTTE

Aaron

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 22:47
Cool. I must ask though, does Drama sound a lot like the '80s? Because I really don't like the '80s sound.
Fritha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 14:32

Well, Ghandi, you seem to prefer records that are stuffed to the brim with too many notes () so if I were you, I would tread cautiously in regards to Drama... I love that album myself, and think it has amazing guitar and bass playing, imaginative and groovy at the same time, but the songwriting is much more streamlined than on Relayer and thus probably sounds too poppish for you.

I was made to love magic
ummagumma08 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 14:49
I'm not really much of a Yes fan, but Relayer is really a stand-out album from these guys, certainly much more interesting than CTTE! IMO, none of their other albums can be compared to the brilliance of Relayer.
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 17:32
Originally posted by Fritha Fritha wrote:

Well, Ghandi, you seem to prefer records that are stuffed to the brim with too many notes () so if I were you, I would tread cautiously in regards to Drama... I love that album myself, and think it has amazing guitar and bass playing, imaginative and groovy at the same time, but the songwriting is much more streamlined than on Relayer and thus probably sounds too poppish for you.

Would you say that Animals and WYWH are stuffed with too many notes? Those are my favorite albums of all time, along with most of early Floyd. If you think those are than maybe I do like stuffed albums. Although overly simple music is not good, streamlined is not a bad thing; I was asking more about the dreaded '80s sound. (slap bass, electro drums, etc.) The same thing applies for poppish; I really hate the '80s, not pop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12