Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould IDM be considered electronic prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: IDM in the archives or no IDM
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [36.84%]
2 [10.53%]
7 [36.84%]
3 [15.79%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 13:19
Originally posted by yeppp yeppp wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan Melgar Morey Ivan Melgar Morey wrote:

I only have three arguments and believe are enough not to include them:

• Not related even remoptely with Rock
  • Some if not most of them are mixers or DJ's who mainly don't play real instruments, I believed that virtuosism is oart of the requitrements of Progressive Rock.
  • IDM is clearly related with the DANCE/RAVE scenario which IMO is the anthitesis of Prog.
  • What will be next, Rap? Hip Hop?

Iván

IDM is clearly related with the DANCE/RAVE scenario which IMO is the anthesis of prog " <-- Infact lot's of so called IDM isn't danceable at all cause of the the rhythms...

Cool yourself I'm Ivan with an emergency user because a bug.

Shouting, using bold letters and telling people that they talk sh*t is not correct

Still I believe in all what I heard and what I read even when I'm not an expert on Non Prog Muisc of this genre.

Shout whatever you want, but as you have seen this thread has been moved to a non Prog section because it's not even Prog related.}

All thedefenders gie me links and pages, I checked them all and all say exactly the same.

Iván

BTW: Already Vogre defending them has made my point about not being realm msuicians:

Vogre wrote:

All those artists among others may not be musicians but they are sculptors of some gorgeous sonic landscapes. I really doubt whether Klaus Schulze or Fripp & Eno are in any matter more prog rock.

Well. this is a place for musicians, and better if virtuoso

And Vogre: Fripp not Prog Rock????????? Throw that stuff you're smoking

Edited by Tony R
vogre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 13:58

All hail Syd Barett the greatest musician of all times.

Even experimental hip-hop can be included. like Dalek who are mixing industrial like white noise with hip hop singing. They even have a CD with Faust and with ZU(avant-prog band).

People like Bill Laswell may mix Drum n'Bass with World Music and Jazz with Hip-Hop.

DJ Spooky has collaborated with Iannis Xenakis(an avant-garde classical composer).

Electro-acoustic is a whole genre in modern-classical music.

There is thing like programming, designing sounds, using technologies with knowledge. And I believe that some guitar virtuoso may not be a good DJ.

There is such thing as home listening electronic music. And I doubt that someone would be able to dance to Pan Sonic's minimalistic techno.

Post rock is clearly influenced by IDM, listen to ANY song by Tortoise. Jaga Jazzist who have fans on this site mix jazz with electronic music. Telefon Tel Aviv have both glitchy IDM, and classical influences.

The Future Sound Of London or The Orb have collaborations with Robert Fripp , and Steve Hillage and many others. From time to time there are live instruments and not only samples.

A few avant-progressive bands are influenced by electronic music(Ahvak, Art Zoyd).

The title of the post says 'Should IDM be considered electronic prog' and not prog rock. All the artists that were mentioned are pushing the genre far away from music for legs.

phobos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 14:45

• Some if not most of them are mixers or DJ's who mainly don't play real instruments, I believed that virtuosism is oart of the requitrements of Progressive Rock.
  • IDM is clearly related with the DANCE/RAVE scenario which IMO is the anthitesis of Prog.

Iván

Quite a few people on this thread have already made the a succesful counter-argument to the first point.  MANY artists on this site have either a very tenuous connection or no connection to "rock", especially the electronic german stuff.  Also see a post on this thread which shows that the definition of rock is in fact so broad as to render Ivan's first point moot.  Maybe you should define "mixers" or "DJs" as you are clearly using these terms in a pejorative sence.  Some of these artists do play traditional instruments (squarepusher would be a good example)... its how the sounds they produce are ultimately utilized/structured which differs from more traditional composition.  The third point is very biased and frankly, a stereotypical opinion.  I am gradtified that members here have strong personal opinions but unless the opinoins are shared by the totality or even a majority, I don't think we can accept the argument.  If we can't even agree on what prog is then I don't think that we can agree on its antithesis.  Personally I would not be in favor of Rap/Hip hop (for that matter I'm not in favor of metal while many others are) but perhaps I am being shortsighted.  Whether a category is acceptable or not, it should not be dismissed based on misinformation, ignorance or the opinions of a minority.

Phobos

Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 15:06
Ivan, you haven't even listened to any music from the genre for the reason it's described as "dance" music and they don't play real instruments. Contrary to popular (ignorant) belief, Experimental Electronica is NOT plugging commands into a computer for people to dance to. Boards of Canada is some of the most artful music you'll ever hear, and Autechre experiments with all kinds of mathy time signatures. Please try actually LISTENING to music from this genre before you dismiss it as non progressive, boring music. IDM should be included in the electronic prog section on this website. You argue that it doesn't fit in with the stereotypical prog norms like 20 minute symphonic epics and extended solos, neither does a good deal of electronic prog on this website. Are you telling me Kraftwerk's Computer World is "rock"? IDM music is expanding the boundaries of electronica and is very progressive, in fact IDM is WAY more progressive than all these sh*tty neo-prog bands that recycle 30 year old ideas yet you people spend so much time adding to this website.

listen to Hella
vogre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 15:09

Oh yeah about prog sites mentioning it:

http://www.gepr.net/genre2.html#ESCHOOLS

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 15:59
Originally posted by vogre vogre wrote:

Beautifil quote, but IDM is not menytioned eather, and BTW, they have a band list and none of the bands you mention is included.

Eashikal, don't assume I didn't heard anything, after an old thread about this same nonsense of adding this band to Prog Archives, I at least listened a lot of Aphex Twin and Autechre, plus searched all the availlable Prog database and none is mentioned.

At the end, who cares, I'm 99% sure that they are not going to be added.

Iván

phobos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 16:15
Originally posted by gggg gggg wrote:

Originally posted by vogre vogre wrote:

Beautifil quote, but IDM is not menytioned eather, and BTW, they have a band list and none of the bands you mention is included.

Eashikal, don't assume I didn't heard anything, after an old thread about this same nonsense of adding this band to Prog Archives, I at least listened a lot of Aphex Twin and Autechre, plus searched all the availlable Prog database and none is mentioned.

At the end, who cares, I'm 99% sure that they are not going to be added.

Iván

If you don't care then just leave the thread.  The type of music in question is described on gepr but its all lumped into "techno."  They specifically mention aphex twin and autechre. 

Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 16:43

• Neither is Kraftwerk or other various electronic prog
  • Sigur Ros have admitted to being bad technical musicians, yet they are on the archives.
  • Dance and Rave music is electronica. Brian Eno and Tangerine Dream are electronic, does that make them dance/rave music?
  • many hip hop groups are very innovative, The Roots are one that comes to mind.

Iván

Rashikal

Edited by Rashikal

listen to Hella
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 17:02

Originally posted by Rashikal Rashikal wrote:

Ivan, you haven't even listened to any music from the genre for the reason it's described as "dance" music and they don't play real instruments. Contrary to popular (ignorant) belief, Experimental Electronica is NOT plugging commands into a computer for people to dance to. Boards of Canada is some of the most artful music you'll ever hear, and Autechre experiments with all kinds of mathy time signatures. Please try actually LISTENING to music from this genre before you dismiss it as non progressive, boring music. IDM should be included in the electronic prog section on this website. You argue that it doesn't fit in with the stereotypical prog norms like 20 minute symphonic epics and extended solos, neither does a good deal of electronic prog on this website. Are you telling me Kraftwerk's Computer World is "rock"? IDM music is expanding the boundaries of electronica and is very progressive, in fact IDM is WAY more progressive than all these sh*tty neo-prog bands that recycle 30 year old ideas yet you people spend so much time adding to this website.

Maybe you shouldn't call it IDM? I never heard that before. Why not simply call it AOE (Album Oriented Electronica)? No wait ... most of the above mentioned bands are much more than that!

BTW: You should all listen to this current release:

http://www.ipecac.com/bio.php?id=42

the band is called "Ghostigital" ... amazing stuff!

Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 17:06
alot of genres have such horrible names haha. I'll definitely check out Ghostigital, Ipecac is one of my favorite record companies.

listen to Hella
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 17:14
^ also check out David Holmes, Lamb, James Hardway and De-Phazz ... I'll check out the artists you mentioned (although I already know Aphex Twin and it's a bit too commercial for my taste).
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 19:49
Progressive as much "IDM" (I truly have grown to dislike that term, but at least it does prove that "prog" is not the most ambiguous word in the world any more ) is, I entirely agree that, being nothing to do with rock music it doesn't belong here. Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk &c. are an entirely different kettle of fish because not only do they both have a much broader range of styles used but each is culturally attached to the progressive rock movement. I can't speak at all from personal experience but from what I gather they had the same audience, the same general idea and maybe even played at the same concerts as prog bands.

Squarepusher's still better though
phobos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 20:12

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ also check out David Holmes, Lamb, James Hardway and De-Phazz ... I'll check out the artists you mentioned (although I already know Aphex Twin and it's a bit too commercial for my taste).

How can you call Aphex Twin too commercial?  He plays with the idea of being commercial in his videos and album titles (26 mixes for cash). Humor is a big element in his music.  Don't confuse success and popularity with commerciality though.  Its true that the "come to daddy" single is a bit commercial (and not very good musically) but that is an anomaly in his catalog.  The majority of the music is quite abstract however.  If you want to point out a popular electronic act which is more commercial I would say something like the chemical brothers or air any number of more dancable house-type arists/djs. 

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 20:48
Originally posted by phobos phobos wrote:

If you don't care then just leave the thread. 

I won't leva thuis thread because I care for Prog and I believe this dubious Prog bands are killing the genre abd I care as much for this´place

The type of music in question is described on gepr but its all lumped into "techno."  They specifically mention aphex twin and autechre. 

Please read ,my posts before answering, NONE OF THIS BANDA IS LISTED IN GEPR

This is the list of artists and bands included frpm AM to AQ in GEPR, and as you can see NO APHEX TWIN

AM-AQ

Ama
Amalgam
Amarok
Amaxis
Amazing Blondel
Amber Route
Ambeon
Ambrosia
Ame Son
Amenophis
Amirkhanian, Charles
AMM
Amon Düül I
Amon Düül II
Amon Düül (UK)
Amos Key
Amy X Neuburg and Men
Anabis
Anacrusa
Anal Magic
Analogy
Anamorphose
Ananga Ranga
Ancient Future
Ancient Veil
Ancient Vision
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe
Anderson, Don
Anderson, Laurie
Anderson, Jon
Andromeda (Germany)
Andromeda (UK)
Andrst, Lubos
Anekdoten
Ange
Angipatch
Änglabarn
Änglagĺrd
Angra
Anima (Brazil)
Anima (Germany)
Anima Sound
Animal Couch
Animator
Ankh
Ann Douar Bras
Anna Sjalv Tredje
Annalist
Annexus Quam
Anno Luz
Anode
Anonima Sound LTD
Anonymous
Anoxie
Antares (Germany)
Antares (Italy)
Ant-Bee
Antonius Rex
Anubis
Anyone's Daughter
Apetrea, Coste
Aphrodite's Child
Apocalypse (Brazil)
Apocalypse (Denmark)
Apocalypse (Israel)
Apocalypsis
Apogee
Apollo
Apologia Lupi
Apoteosi
Apres La Pluie
Apsaras
Aqsak Maboul
Aquarell
Aquarelle
Aquelarre

Now, this is the list from AR to AZ

Index
AR-AZ

Ar Bras, Dan
Arachnoid
Arakontis
Aragon
Araújo, Marco Antônio
Arbete och Fritid
Arc
Arcadium
Arcane V
Arcansiel
Archaďa
Archimedes Badkar
Architectural Metaphor
Arco Iris
Arcturus
Ardley, Neil
Ardo Dombec
Area
Arena
Argent
Ariel
Ark
Arkadas
Arkangel
Arktis
Arkus
Armageddon (Germany)
Armageddon (UK)
Arnold, Horacee
Arpia
Arrakeen
Ars Nova (USA)
Ars Nova (Japan)
Arsenal
Art
Art & Language
Art Bears
Art In America
Art Moulu
Art Rock Circus
Art Zoyd
Art Zoyd III
Artcane
Artemiev, Edward
Arti E Mestieri
Artman, Gilbert
Artsruni
Arzachel
Asfalto
Asgard (France)
Asgard (Italy)
Asgard (UK)
Ash Ra Tempel
Ashquelon Quilt, The
Ashra
Ashule
Asia
Asia Minor
Aside Beside
Aslan
Association PC
Associaux Associes
Assolo di Bongo
Asterix
Astral Dance
Astral Navigations
Astralsia
Astre
Asturias
AT Ensemble
Ataraxia
Atavism Of Twilight
Atheist
Atila
Atkins, Chet
Atlantide (France)
Atlantide (Italy)
Atlantis (Germany)
Atlantis (USA)
Atlantis Philharmonic
Atlas
Atmo
Atmosphera
Atmosphere
Atoll
Atomic Rooster
Aton's
Atria
Attacca
Attention Deficit
Aubrey Small
Aucan
Audience
August
Aunt Mary
Aunt Sally
Auracle
Autograf
Autograph
Automatic Fine Tuning
Automatic Man
Autumn
Autumn Tears
Avaric
Avgerinos, Paul
Aviary
Aviator
Aviolinee Utopia
Awaken
Axelrod, David
Axis (France)
Axis (Greece)
Axolotl
Ayers, Kevin
Ayers Rock
Ayreon
Azahar
Azazello
Azigza
Azoth

Again NO AUTECHRE, i could do the same with everuy single nband you mention and you'll find NONE OF THEM IS LISTED AS PROGRESSIVE BANDS.

They mention them as part of the techno yes, but not as Prog bands, because not all Techno is Prog.

Iván

Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 20:56
i once saw William Shatner and Creed listed on a prog website, does that make them prog?

Ivan, as someone who hardly listens to the genre such as yourself, how would you know that it isn't progressing electronic music. isn't the name of the genre "progressive electronic???"

I guess we'll just have to wait for a "Shape of electronica to come" album

Edited by Rashikal

listen to Hella
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 21:19

i once saw William Shatner and Creed listed on a prog website, does that make them prog?

There are places and places, GEPR is as respected as Prog Archives, but this means nothing.

Ivan, as someone who hardly listens to the genre such as yourself, how would you know that it isn't progressing electronic music. isn't the name of the genre "progressive electronic???"

I believe I heard enough, I find it repetitive, lack of imagination and absolutely related with a non Rock or Prog genre.

I guess we'll just have to wait for a "Shape of electronica to come" album

At the end neither you or me will decide, but again this thread has been moved from Progressive Polls top Non Progressive Polls, this can goive you an idea of their pósibilities.

Iván

phobos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 22:15

Ivan- I understand that aphex and autechre are not listed in the uneccesarily long list that you just posted but if you follow the URL that you posted to GEPR's guide to progressive rock genres at http://www.gepr.net/genre2.html

then you will see this:

Techno - There is a wide variety of music that falls under the house, rave or techno monikers that is also considered ambient music. The earliest forms of this music probably got its origin in the later music of Kraftwerk. This tends to include heavily atmospheric and often psychedelic electronic music with an emphasis on rhythm and beat. Artists in this genre (or operating from it) include Orbital, Autechre, Aphex Twin, The Orb, System 7 and Eat Static.

Now Gepr does NOT call this music progressive rock.  I simply stated that the bands in question are listed on GEPR... but really I agree with rashikal that it doesnt matter whether a band is listed or not.

phobos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 22:22

Originally posted by gggg gggg wrote:

I believe I heard enough, I find it repetitive, lack of imagination and absolutely related with a non Rock or Prog genre.

Maybe if you really immersed yourself in the music and gave it some time you would feel differently.  You know, I didn't like Autechre or Aphex the first time I heard them... it actually took me some time and greater exposure.  Some music is more challenging for certain people.  Even if you never like this type of music... I would think that there are "progressive rock" bands who you also find lack imagination or distasteful in other ways... what does that prove?

Phobos

Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 22:46
I guess if you want to get technical with it, IDM is a misnomer in my opinion. they should just call it Experimental Electronica/Techno (Autechre, Aphex Twin). Boards of Canada is downtempo/shoegaze/experimental/electronica. This music takes its roots in electronic krautrock, doesn't that relate it to prog music? I mean all Kate Bush did was bang Peter Gabriel and she got into the archives... hopefully Richard D. James will have sexual relations with Florian Schneider or someone - maybe then you'll let him in the archives 

http://www.warprecords.com/

As a matter of fact, Boards of Canada's new EP is called "Trans Canada Highway" - an obvious nod to krautrock masters and electronica pioneers Kraftwerk.

Edited by Rashikal

listen to Hella
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 23:36

I mean all Kate Bush did was bang Peter Gabriel and she got into the archives... hopefully Richard D. James will have sexual relations with Florian Schneider or someone - maybe then you'll let him in the archives 

Do you even know if I agree with Kate Bush's inclusion? Read the posts, I don't believe she's prog' and expressed my opinion, but I accepted the majority's decision.

But it's very low IMO to talk about who a woiman sleeps with, that's her problem. And even when that was the reason (Which I don't believe), the wrong inclusion of one artist doesn't justify the wrong inclusion of another.

Two mistakes don't make a good choice.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12