Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedObjection: Queen/prog-related on top 100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Objection: Queen/prog-related on top 100
    Posted: April 01 2006 at 10:00
It's really undermining the credibility of this prog site that the main page has a top 100 list that includes prog-related bands like Queen. If/when some of these bands enter top 20 or 10 I can only foresee the adverse effect it will have on the marketing of this site to lovers of prog. Make individual top lists for each genre. I really cannot see the purpose of showing a composite top 100 on the main page - or can you?
kebjourman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 10:06
i like the idea of individual lists for each genre.
Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 10:09
Queen is glam rock.  They should never, never be in the top 100 list.  I take it as an insult to prog.
opera_guy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 10:28
You can view the top 100 bands by genre, and why is it an insult Queen much better and more unique and innovative that 90% of the other bands on this site.
Kid-A View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 10:50

Originally posted by opera_guy opera_guy wrote:

You can view the top 100 bands by genre, and why is it an insult Queen much better and more unique and innovative that 90% of the other bands on this site.

Because they aren't prog, and this is the progarchives. Doesn't matter how unique and innovative they are, they just aren't prog.

Edited by Kid-A
Winter Wine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 11:03

Originally posted by Paulieg Paulieg wrote:

Queen is glam rock.  They should never, never be in the top 100 list.  I take it as an insult to prog.

You can't hear glamour. Queen made incredible innovative music, That's all that counts.

My computer's broke
White Queen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 11:04

Don't worry, they won't stay in the top 100 for long.  There's always people like you to give them bad reviews just because they aren't progressive enough.

Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 11:10

Originally posted by White Queen White Queen wrote:

Don't worry, they won't stay in the top 100 for long.  There's always people like you to give them bad reviews just because they aren't progressive enough.

I happen to like Queens first five releases.  Just because I feel they are more glam than prog and don't feel they belong in the "Top 100 Progressive Releases Of ALL Time" doesn't mean I'd give them a bad review.  Now if it was "The Top 100 Glam Rock Releases Of All Time" I'd vote them in the top 10 at least. 

opera_guy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 11:18

How is Queen not progressive?  They were very original used dozens of different styles, complex harmonies, over-the-top arrangements.  Just because they have a hard-rock aesthetic doesn't mean they aren't "prog."  Last time I check it was Progressive Rock.  A band doesn't have to use moogs and mellotrons to be "prog."

R_DeNIRO View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 11:35
The only "progressive thing" that Queen made was Bohemian Rhapsody. Definitively they aren't prog in any way; don't deserve be in the top 100. 
We were always be much human than we whish to be.
Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 11:35

How is Queen not progressive?  They were very original used dozens of different styles, complex harmonies, over-the-top arrangements.  Just because they have a hard-rock aesthetic doesn't mean they aren't "prog."  Last time I check it was Progressive Rock.  A band doesn't have to use moogs and mellotrons to be "prog."

I just don't feel Queen's main attributes are coming from "the progressive rock genre."  Queen was very progressive in their vocal harmonies and May's guitar tone was beautiful.  I guess it's all subjective when it comes down to it.  I didn't mean to insult anyone and am sorry if I did.  I still don't consider Queen "Progressive Rock." 

Edited by Paulieg
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:08

I'm sick of Queen discussion...

nevertheless, I'll add something:

Paulieg is right that Queen is glam rock. Every possible musical website lists them as such (apart form our beloved archives!!!)
Of course they have progressive moments, but this doesn't mean we'll have to endure their presence in top 100!!!

Achim Reichel is not even in the archives, and many Krautrock greats cannot find a place in top 100!!! (I'm not sure if there's any!)

Solution: Keep "prog related" and possibly "proto-prog" bands away from top 100 which will result in another problem, many greats' exclusion from the list, such as Moody Blues, Peter Gabriel, Deep Purple etc. Hey, what the heck is other genres for

Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Duncan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:20
Originally posted by R_DeNIRO R_DeNIRO wrote:

The only "progressive thing" that Queen made was Bohemian Rhapsody. Definitively they aren't prog in any way; don't deserve be in the top 100. 

Christ, how much '70s Queen have you actually heard? I can appreciate most people's objections, but not with such a grossly misinformed example.
BebieM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 13:04
Generally prog-related and proto-prog albums shouldn't count for the top100 on the first page IMO. It's good to have them on the site to see a) where prog came from and b) what bands border on being prog, but that's it. 
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 05:51

You can view the top 100 bands by genre, .

I must have missed something - how do I view the top 100 by genre?

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 06:01

Originally posted by BebieM BebieM wrote:

Generally prog-related and proto-prog albums shouldn't count for the top100 on the first page IMO. It's good to have them on the site to see a) where prog came from and b) what bands border on being prog, but that's it. 

Exactly. Perhaps the administrators of this site should consider restructuring the site so that the main page allows you to enter either the (pure) prog portion of the site or the proto-prog and prog-related portion of the site. Also consider which of these segments the site wants to target. Targetting all segments most likely will result in fewer "customers" (us the prog lovers) who will find other sources on the internet.

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 06:33

QUOTE - "It's really undermining the credibility of this prog site that the main page has a top 100 list that includes prog-related bands like Queen. If/when some of these bands enter top 20 or 10 I can only foresee the adverse effect it will have on the marketing of this site to lovers of prog. Make individual top lists for each genre. I really cannot see the purpose of showing a composite top 100 on the main page - or can you?"

i agree queen had glam rock leanings in the early years, many groups dressed up in amazing costumes and were labelled glam rock if you like, but queen were much more sophisticated than their contemporaries and if you've ever listened to their early albums (especially queen II) the so-called  "prog elements" are there. queen were a fine group, were considered a progressive group in the early 70's  and well deserve their place in prog archives!!! i bet many grumblers on this thread have never even heard queen.

Edited by mystic fred
Prog Archives Tour Van
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 07:27
I now see that I shouldn't have mentioned Queen when I started this thread. It was intended as a much more general discussion.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 07:40

This is a bit like the thread I started weeks ago.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20313& amp;KW=queen

Edited by Snow Dog
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 10:46

Just because something is glam rock dosn't mean it can't be progressive. Glam rock was more of alook and way bands presented themselves, the genre has little to do with actual music.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>