Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTangent-A Place In The Queue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangent-A Place In The Queue
    Posted: April 01 2006 at 11:03
I'm really digging the new Tangent release, A Place In The Queue.  What's surprising is I stayed away from this band because I'm not a Flowers King fan at all and thought I wouldn't enjoy them because of this influence.  Are the two previous albums more influenced by them because of their involvement with them?  I really like Tillison's vocals.  They remind me of Sinclare from Caravan as does the music.  Also, the keyboards are pretty awesome.  I'm a big Caravan fan and find this new Tangent release pretty much in their style, which is good for me.  Since Stolte isn't involved in this release, has the sound changed much from the prior two he was involved in?  I'm not trying too bash "The Flower Kings", I just don't like their music much.  I can appreciate their skill though and if the prior releases are similar to the new one, it won't make a difference if Stolte played guitar and sang on them.  I will still buy them.  All in all an excellent album and a nice discovery and surprise.

Edited by Paulieg
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 11:58
All The Tangent albums are pretty good. A Place In The Queue is excellent.

By the way, it's Andy Tillison on most of the vocals.
Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:09
Oops, put the wrong vocalist in.  Thanks Chopper.  Travis does play some mean sax and flute though.  I edited my post and put the right vocalist in.  So I guess Stolt is relegated to backing vocals on the prior releases? 
Deadwing12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:24
A Place in the Queue is The Tangent's most ambitious and varied work, and my personal favorite of the band. 'In Earnest" is probably the greatest song they have written.
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:39

I like this album, but I wouldn't buy their other albums because it is not enjoyable enough for me.

There is a lot of technical skill and a fiery hammond organ that I just adore. I love the hammond parts in Earnest and especially the intro of GPS Culture. However, the synth sounds are a bit questionable, some riffs are not memorable, and I don't like most of the vocal melodies at all, except for the intro of the epic, the Short disco-like track, and some scattered moments.

Anyone LOVES the hammond organ in this album as I do?

elpprogster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:56

Well, I guess that this is their most "keyboard driven" album and perhaps also the most proggier one; don´t you also think so?

Yes, I do love the Hammond licks. The synth sounds are also great as they´re from 2 mini-moogs, one of them a vintage machine!

Fritha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 16:37

Originally posted by Deadwing12 Deadwing12 wrote:

A Place in the Queue is The Tangent's most ambitious and varied work, and my personal favorite of the band. 'In Earnest" is probably the greatest song they have written.

I have no problems seconding all this.

I do love the Canterbury influence that is even more prounounced on APITQ... Tillison even sings in that peculiar Kent (?) dialect at times, which I simply adore. (I'm weird like that ) It does remind me of Richard Sinclair's singing, even though I really don´t hear the similarities in actual tone... But then nobody could beat Richard's voice in my ears!

APITQ is perfectly retro in that despite all the obvious classic prog influences (the Hammonds and Moogs among other things) it still manages to sound like a modern record. Very well produced it is, too; great balance between all the instruments and the vocals as far as I can tell. True audiophiles may have a differing opinion, of course  

I was made to love magic
AtLossForWords View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 16:49
I reviewed this album a couple weeks ago for five stars.  It's a fantastic effort, Andy Tillison really went above and beyond the call of music when composing this album.  All of the musicans play a fantastic supporting role, and the concept is thoughtful yet relaxing.

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 18:02
Sounds interesting...maybe Ill check it out...maybe...
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 00:08
There's a Hatfield and The North thumbs up on the first album and on the same track is some lovely Canterbury, featuring David Jackson (of Van der Graaf Generator) on saxophone.  Still not sure if I like the second album as much though, but it's only had the one listen.

The latest effort though is great, I love it!  I also love the artwork by Ed Unitsky, a thumbs up to a fantastically packaged album and great music to boot!

You will probably appreciate the other two albums.  Roine Stolt does sing on some of them however, so you have been warned, but he does some lovely guitar licks.
Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 10:27

I am seriously enjoying this album right now.  And if any of you guys like the occasional hard rock tune, the first song on the Bonus CD "Promises Were Made" will absolutely rock your socks off.  Once I get a few more listens under my belt, I think I will be qualified to give it a proper review.  If I were to give it a grade right now, I would say "four stars" easily.  That may improve with more listens (who knows!?!).

Initial impressions:

Track 1 "In Earnest" reminds me a little of "The Cinema Show" in the way that the story unfolds.  It's a great epic tune and for sure one of the top 3 songs on the album.

The title track ("A Place in the Queue") starts off sounding almost exactly like The Eagles' "Hotel California", but then launches into a haunting story in epic prog fashion that builds and builds and builds and leaves your mind fully stimulated at the conclusion.  This brilliant song is probably my favorite on the album.

But for pure listening enjoyment, I just love the sound of "Promises Were Made" from the Bonus Disc.  Great guitar, bass, female vocals and various synthesizers all mesh to make this dynamic song a fun, fun rocker!

Other strong tracks include "Lost in London" and "GPS Culture."  Overall, a very impressive album.

tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 17:38
A great album throughout IMO. Not quite as in your face as their previous efforts but after repeated listens it grows and grows. A future classic methinks.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 07:14
Overall a great album that stands out in todays total prog output. The music is very much like the wonderful cover art - adventurous, out of this world, awesome. However, I could do wihout the Pet Shop Boys-sounding "The Sun in my Eyes" (and doesn't the guitar intro sound like Genesis' silly "Follow you, follow me"?) and I'm not particularly a fan of Reingold's funk bass. Also agree that some keyboard (bass and guitar) riffs are not memorable and not really going anywhere (like the case of Flower Kings). Like fusion, or in this case, Canterbury. But I like it!
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 03:59
THE BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR SO FAR.IT GRWS EVERY TIME I LISTEN TO IT.REALLY GOOD
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 12:42
^

I'm curious as to how people feel about A Place in the Queue who have had it for a while and played it at least a few dozen times. Is it wearing well for you? I just got around to buying this not too long ago, and am still waiting to see how it ages for me.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 13:04
I heard a couple of songs of this album and sound very nice

I don't have a full view of the bands works though so I cannot comment furthermore
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 14:03
I bought the album a few days ago, and although I need to listen to it a bit more, In Earnest is such a kick ass epic!!! The other songs are also very good (though I think the album would be more "epic" without The sun in my eyes)...yet I must get into A place in the Queue (the song)... this is the song I have listened the least, and at the same time its the most challeging...so, I must listen and listen and listen!!!

But no matter if I ever get to like that track or not, the album is so worth buying (and in my case it was quite expensive) just for In Earnest!!! Deffinitly in my top 10 of epic songs!

Edited by el böthy - June 04 2006 at 14:05
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply