Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIron Maiden=Prog Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 10:06
I love Iron Maiden but they are not prog. Seventh Son... has some prog feeling to it and Rime of the... is a great epic song with shifing moods and rithems but this is not enough to consider IM a prog-metal band. 
ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 10:28

Originally posted by blazno blazno wrote:

I love Iron Maiden but they are not prog. Seventh Son... has some prog feeling to it and Rime of the... is a great epic song with shifing moods and rithems but this is not enough to consider IM a prog-metal band. 

Exactly!!

Minkia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 17:53
I know that for the purists out there the jury is still out as whether Maiden are prog or not.

Personally, though, Maiden are defo prog. C'mon, if Queensryche are...then Maiden have got to be!
tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 18:01
They are just an excellent metal band IMO. Prog no. Maybe some tracks .
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 18:07

Originally posted by tdreamer tdreamer wrote:

They are just an excellent metal band IMO. Prog no. Maybe some tracks .

So therefore "prog-related?" Confused

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 19:05

They were voted no by the band admissons team quite a while ago.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 19:29

Theres no denying that they have influenced most Prog Metal and plain metal bands out there (Queensryche, DT, etc). Some of their songs are indeed proggy to some extent. I would not call them exactly prog... so...

Prog related

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 20:32

Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are definitively prog, and some fans say that their later albums (Brave New World, Dance of Death) are even proggier. However, most of their other albums are not prog.

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
necromancing777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 22:20
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are definitively prog, and some fans say that their later albums (Brave New World, Dance of Death) are even proggier. However, most of their other albums are not prog.

Maiden are Prog-related or Proto-prog for sure. It's all very subjective I guess. I mean, the Pretenders got into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. But Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull are not?

Craziness is Queensryche being considered prog-metal, while Iron Maiden is not.  That's the ONLY reason I'm suggesting Maiden get another vote. If Queensryche (love 'em BTW) is prog, then Maiden is prog.  It's very simple actually. Just based on prevailing PA reasoning. Nightwish is cool, but are certainly not prog.

And being a HUGE Beatles fan, I don't feel they are in any way, shape or form, "proto-prog" . The people who voted on the Beatles are too sympathic to the fab-four IMO. They caved in to pressure. The Beatles are Pop/Rock, straight up! Are the Monkees "proto-prog"?  

Edited by necromancing777

"Your progressive hypocrites hand out their trash,
But it was mine in the first place, so I'll burn it to ash."
reality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 14:42

I think What makes a "prog" band "prog" is intent and purpus. Steve Harris is the biggest Genesis fan on the planet and has probobly seen them in concert more times than anyone here, but when he started a band he did not want to sound like them (the best bands are "influenced" by their influence and they do not just emulate them). Iron Maiden had a totaly different veiw on music than the old style that by this time had been done to death. Energy and emotion was their main draw in the early years and put the final death blow to the punk revolution, combining energy with Guitar sophistocation in a way no one had done before. When Bruce Dickinson came along they discovered the Art Rock asthetic and took influnce from classical roots that Prog mainly ignored (yes metal is as much based on classical music as prog just in different areas). Steve Harris once called Maiden's music as thematic which bases the music as a representation of visual things or pictures, a hallmark of the romantic era or even earlier in Vivaldi. You take The lonleness of the long distance runner, its steady drumbeat is purpusfull because it represents footfalls of the runner and the endless road he has to tread or Aces High you feel like your flying a spitfire to go shoot down a german bomber. Now compare this with Wakemans "anne of cleaves" or the whole album for that matter, this song could have been called anything because it is not intended to be a representation of anne of cleaves its more absolute music than program music or thematic music. Another song I pick from my playlist is Return to forever's "Deul of the jester and the Tyrant" it could be called "Sailing the seven seas of space" and I could not tell the difference. Iron Maiden is the metal equivilant of a movie soundtrack which is all about the image, the sound, and the emotion and the complexity of those rather than the band playing the instraments. If you saw their stage shows you would understand.

Classical influences

1.Vivaldi

2.Bethoven

3.Brahms or any similer composers from the romantic era.

Bands from prog that have similer thematic elements

1.Renaissance

2.Pink floyd

Are they prog? No, they do not come form the same source. Are they a classicaly influnced thematicly complex, emotionly driven metal band? As a classical enthusist and a university trained musical observer I objectivly say yes. 

Edited by reality
Raiders757 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 21:05

Iron Maiden have been one of my favorite bands since the 'Killers' album came out. In no way would I ever consider them a Prog Metal band though. There are progressive elements in some of their musical ideas, and they do have a few epic songs, but I think they fall just short of the "Prog" tag.

I feel the same about Queensryche as well, so I do see why one would have to ask the question about Maiden.

What I wonder, is why a band like The Tea Party aren't considered Progressive Rock? Have they ever been up for consideration?

Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 22:07
If Maiden are not prog, you can scrap half of all the bands listed in this site. Just listen to Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner and tell me with dry eyes that that's not prog. Well... I'll tell you that you and I shurely have a different view of what's prog. Also the album "Seventh Son.."  is DEFINATELY prog by my standards. I know that the "pain" of inclusion is where to stop. When you add Maiden, where are you going to end? Metallica's ....and Justice is also very progressive in my book. Therefore I suggest that these bands are included in prog archives under  "prog related". Their main course may be metal, but they shure as hell produced some very progressive tracks and influenced others with that (Anyone for DT?). So when a vote comes along I'll shurely vote for inclusion in the "Prog Related" catagory. At least Queen will have some competition there (I consider them superior to what Queen ever did)  
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 22:22
Originally posted by Minkia Minkia wrote:

Personally, though, Maiden are defo prog. C'mon, if Queensryche are...then Maiden have got to be!

I have never considered Queensryche prog metal.

KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 23:19
its certainly prog related

reality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 00:10
Does not anyone read my posts? You know I have some very valid points if you would just look. I spend the time and do the research to help bring an objective reality to the opinionfest we have going here and I see them skipped over like they are not even there. Mabye posting is just not worth it anymore?
Rising Force View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 00:44
reality: Don't worry, I read your post. Some very valid points indeed. 
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 00:45
Originally posted by reality reality wrote:

Does not anyone read my posts? You know I have some very valid points if you would just look. I spend the time and do the research to help bring an objective reality to the opinionfest we have going here and I see them skipped over like they are not even there. Mabye posting is just not worth it anymore?

Please continue to post,but......

Do you know how many threads there have been concerning this subject?

I have seen people explain in lengthy detail the reasons they should be here,the reasons they shouldn't be here,I have seen people fight like cats and dogs over it.

A few months ago this was a very hot topic.You are going to have to excuse some people if they don't feel like re-hashing it all over again,to absolutely no avail.Because they have been rejected.

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 14:15

^exactly....

stop making 'Iron maiden wannabe prog' threads

retuow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 14:33
Well, they covered Jethro Tull's Cross Eyed Mary. Does that make 'em prog?

I feel it's right they're not included. They're great, but not prog.

I feel a lot of bands currently listed do not belong here
Human beings were created by water to carry it uphill.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12